Thread: P25 Data

Thanks

Default P25 Data

Figured this was as good of a sub as any for this question... I'm looking for feedback from anyone using P25 trunking as a low speed data platform. I am considering moving our public works SCADA over to our P25 system (from 900MHz ISM) and potentially making P25 a primary backhaul for our outdoor siren system (moving it's current AFSK VHF simplex links to secondary).

I'm not seeing a lot of people using P25 data in this way nor am I finding simple low cost P25 modems such as are available for Tier III DMR or OpenSky.

Astro Spectra is offline T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DisasterGuy View Post
    I'm not seeing a lot of people using P25 data in this way ...
    That's probably because most SCADA people would be using dedicated licensed SCADA radios in the 900 MHz MAS, Part 90, or private treaty UHF or VHF spectrum. The leaders in this space are 4RF and GE. The radios are cheaper than P25 radios, are at least 10x faster (think 60 kbps in 12.5 kHz vs less than 5 kbps for P25), have SCADA specific features like serial and Ethernet ports and easy to use setup via built in web servers. Oh, and they have AES encryption and authentication at no extra cost if that's important to you.
    It is a fine thing to be honest, but it is also very important to be right

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Astro Spectra For This Useful Post:

roboshark28 (5 Days Ago),TESTMODE (5 Days Ago),TRENT310 (8 Hours Ago)