Thread: XPR EID for MPT Trunking

Thanks

Question XPR EID for MPT Trunking

Hi, everyone! Early this year I was talking with our account rep over at Motorola about our need for newer radios that support MPT trunking for a few of our (USG) locations that are still using such a system. He said that he believes there is an EID to make this happen on the XPR line, and was going to look into it more but he was unfortunately a victim of some COVID-related cutbacks. Our new rep has no idea to what he was referring, and cannot find anything about it. I would be surprised if Motorola didn't offer something for either the XPR or another line, seeing as though Tait and Kenwood do on their professional and public-safety line of radios. Can anyone here offer some insight and point me in the right direction? Thanks for your time.

Thanks

It looks like MPT trunking for the XPR radios is done via the MPT Option Board (see part numbers PMLN7394AS and PMLN6696AS). I am unsure if they will work with NA radios, though. You will also need the MPT GOB CPS, which does not seem to be available to me with a NA MOL account.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,718 Times in 2,394 Posts

Just a FYI to anyone who is looking for DMR/MPT1327 compatible radios: Check out the Hytera PD-982/MD-982 (port/mob). A software option which enables DMRA Trunking (aka TIII) also enables MPT-1327 analog trunking. I had one a while back, but sold it as it was useless to me in terms of Cap+MS support. Codeplug attached if anyone wants to check out the MPT support. Hytera CPS required.

982.jpg
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks

I recommend Tait or Kenwood for this.

I wouldn't spend a bunch of money on digital XPRs when you could get say TK-3180s with brand new housings and tune them up for very low cost.

The Kenwoods are easy and cheap to repair, and it sounds like you'll be stuck with MPT for a little while.

So even if you do buy DMR/MPT compatible radios, what if you go TETRA or P25 when the time comes?

Also, by the time you ditch MPT, the radios will probably be over 5 years old and the end of their useful life will be rapidly approaching anyway.

So I would buy the cheapest, best radio for what you need right now, today, which is MPT1327 and not waste money on what ifs that may never happen the way you anticipated.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to PSEhub For This Useful Post:

Mars (1 Week Ago)

Thanks

Thanks everyone for the replies. So right now we are in fact using the TK-3180s and I was able to find 60 of them brand new sitting in the KW warehouse, but I am looking ahead at next options. I have some Tait and NX-300GK4 radios that I am programming up on the system, but wanted to look at the Moto options as well.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to EindhovenOne For This Useful Post:

PSEhub (1 Week Ago)