Thread: Liberty

XPR8300 No Longer Registered

Default Liberty

Anyone playing with the Liberty? They have offered to send us a demo and its programming software. Any "gotcha's" to look out for?

Thanks

We have one for testing where I work and at first it sucked, the stupid thing wouldn't recognize LSM Simulcast and would just randomly reboot for no reason upon TXing or RXing a call. Now it's running newer firmware and that greatly helped the radio on decoding LSM, it's been a while since I played with it, but I think it still reboots a little not as often as it did before the upgrade. The software is pretty easy to use, it's one of those that I wish Moto would incorporate some of the Thales software layout into Moto CPS.

Our radio also has DES and AES crypto in it and it works for the most part. It will fail to unmute to an encrypted call but will usually unmute with decoded audio within 1.5 seconds after hearing nothing but scrambled audio out of the speaker. The previous firmware release would sometimes cause the radio to reboot when it failed to unmute to an encrypted call.

We keep waiting on the Thales guy to come back and retrieve it, as we would rather carry our APX's than this thing. I'd much rather wait until Moto releases a tri-band radio. Maybe they'll call it the APX10000.

We received our demo kit today and so far not good. We can read the radio with the software, but they bomb when writing. Have you had any issues with programming them?

Thanks

How much paperwork is it to request one for a dept.

We called our local rep and had them do an on-site demo. I verbally requested two radios and filled out the form to get a system key for our TRS.

Thanks

It's been a while since I have programmed one. I seem to remember it failing when writing. What I think I did was save the codeplug to the local hard drive and reboot the PC. It started to work after that.

Thanks

Not very impressive if you have to use "work arrounds" before you can even use the units.

I think we are going to ship them back. One i cant program at all, and the other is very hit or miss. Im not impressed at all by these radios.

Thanks

Not that impressive are they? I wish they (Thales) would return and get this POS they left for us to test out oh lets say about a year ago.

PRC148 No Longer Registered

I'll take it.

Quote Originally Posted by WB4JGI View Post
    Not that impressive are they? I wish they (Thales) would return and get this POS they left for us to test out oh lets say about a year ago.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,774 Times in 1,707 Posts

I know jack-**** about Thales kit; I've only ever seen one at Dayton. But my question for you guys: Are you running the latest firmware?

And as much as I dislike Moto's APX for not being "complete" in terms of band coverage, and some missing features, it's solid in the firmware department.

Imagine the build quality of a Liberty, the reliability of a Moto and the audio output of the APX combined into one radio. That would be one sweet mofo.

cyrus is offline Trailer Park Superintendent
    Thanks

I got my hands on one a few years back and at that time the firmware was definitely holding it back.

Took forever to boot and everything was laggy.

Of course, this was very early firmware and I would hope that things have improved immensely since then.

They have sent us several firmware files and programming software files. These radios have great potential, but i felt like we were beta testing them. So back they went.

Thanks

Always test a units response to gravity, this is very important to the engineers .

lol... i usualy start with testing the units responce to programming software..