Thread: xtl5000 contrast question

Thanks

Default xtl5000 contrast question

Ive searched and the only answers i can find is that its firmware related problem. My xtl5000 contrast is very dark when looking at the display straight on. When i look at it from an angle, the display is perfect. I read another post that there is an option on the control head that you can change the operating view angle, they said its explained in the operations manual, but i havnt been able to find it.

Have any of you guys ever seen/heard of this?

Brian

cyrus is offline Trailer Park Superintendent
    Thanks

Default xtl5000 contrast question

Loosen up the nuts holding the radio in place and tilt until you can read the display.
    Cyrus

Bubbles: I'd like to see that Red Blue Green c***sucker put one of those together, duct-tapin' it.

Thanks

Yep, common problem. Some screens are darker than others... I've also had some fail that went almost completely black. There are no contrast adjustments, other than tilting the unit. The new black-surround O5 heads are better than the old gray versions.

Yet another example of great Motorola design, impeded by one simple yet massively inconvenient problem.

Thanks

Wonderful! Not impressed with my first xtl.

Thanks

I've traded heads around a bit to get some with reasonable contrast. I guess you can say I'm OK with them... I've got 5 O5s in the truck.

Thanks

I recently upgraded a few of my XTL's to the newer 05 heads and I noticed something in the process. I had one head that would not sync with the radio in remote head configuration, but worked fine when it was mounted directly to the radio. I must have swapped a dozen CHIB and TIB combinations - but still no glory. I even took the CHIB off the back of the head that was working fine with the radio, put the CHIB on the new head - still nothing.

I was upgrading the heads because of the inconsistent contrast on the older style heads. Even with installing all new heads, there is still some difference in the contrast of the head (although not as bad). What I noticed when I swapped heads around (trying to get one 05 head to work) was that the contrast variance followed the radio - not the head. In other words, the best reading head I had was on my UHF XTL, the worst was on the VHF XTL. When I swapped those heads (new or old style) the VHF always looked worse (still does) than the UHF or 900 radio. I have meant to look at the detailed service manual to see if that made any sense from the schematic - or if it was just a fluke in my truck.

Anybody else ever notice that?

Thanks

We didn't see this problem in our units until they were a couple of years old. The only resolve we had, was to replace the $65 dollar display module.
    MJ.

Thanks

So replacing the lcd will fix the problem?

Thanks

Default Replace LCD module to elimate dark screen

Quote Originally Posted by ccip4911 View Post
    So replacing the lcd will fix the problem?
    Yes - The problem is in the LCD module itself. I have replaced several of these in the past, and in each time, it clears up the display. Since the part
    is fairly cheap, I haven't taken the issue any further.

Thanks

Do you have the pn handy? How difficult is it to replace?

Thanks

Default XTL5000 Display part number

Quote Originally Posted by ccip4911 View Post
    Do you have the pn handy? How difficult is it to replace?
    Part number 7264052H03 - Cost is around $70 depending on your pricing structure. 800 422 4210
    As to changing this - remove the two screws on the face of the display, then take a torx (T10 if memory serves me) on the back side of the display and then unplug the volume control and channel switch. At this point, everything unplugs apart. You should have no problem changing out this display. In all cases, the dark screen cleans up as expected with the new display.
    MJ.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MojaveJoe View Post
    Part number 7264052H03 - Cost is around $70 depending on your pricing structure. 800 422 4210
    Just as an update, the part number has changed. It's now 7264052H05. (even though you'll be told that when you enter the old part #, just thought I'd mention it)

And I wish I had your pricing Joe, my price is $128.10 CDN!!

Thanks

Yeah, i saw the updated p/n last night when i added it to my cart. And my price is about the same over a hundred

Thanks

I just logged into MOL and your correct - the part number changes to 7264052H05 even if you type in 7264052H03. A search of the
    root part number 7264052H brings back the 03 and 05 versions. I did see the discription of the 05 as being "high temp". Sounds like Motorola re did this part and as such, charge more for it. Perfect. Glad I ordered a few a couple of months ago.
    MJ.

Thanks

Maybe they fixed the problem finally? Mj... Wanna sell one?

Thanks

Same issue with APX's head PHCN4000.