Thread: Whats all the fuss about uplink noise?

EM36 is offline BDA Wizard
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks

Default Whats all the fuss about uplink noise?

Officer Ogletree Officer Ogletree Officer Ogletree SIR Officer Ogletree Officer Ogletree PLEASE!

Sarjint I'm asking...no I'm DEMANDING a Lieutenant....Or a supervisor that outranks him....J Dewitte.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EM36 For This Useful Post:

mitaux8030 (1 Week Ago),Wodie (1 Week Ago)

Thanks

I had a situation where a TX-RX class B amp was installed and turned on before it had been optimized. The nearby simulcast site went deaf. A comment on class A BDA amplifiers. They have additional group delay so TDI at the periphery of the building and at ingress points will be worse. Perhaps ideally Class A on uplink, class B on downlink?

CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks

I see this alot. Continually finding bda that aren't even permitted and we had zero clue they were there. I find alot of guys crank the gain or even leave at factory levels and it causes issues. I'm big in turning these down when possible. We had one the other day that was wide open 166 rssi on my apx in a garage. I had him cut it 5db at a time while I walked the garage. We were able to drop the gain by 15db and not affect the signal only very slightly (3-5pts rssi)

We're not seeing tdi issues with any of the systems we have in the city. I believe we're allowed up to 80us. With a well designed system this shouldnt be a big issue.
    Officer Ogletree Officer Ogletree Officer Ogletree SIR Officer Ogletree Officer Ogletree PLEASE!

Sarjint I'm asking...no I'm DEMANDING a Lieutenant....Or a supervisor that outranks him....J Dewitte.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,230 Times in 553 Posts

EM - Since you seem to be familiar with Comba product, have you ever worked on one that carried mixed modes in the same band?

We determined they could not pass Trbo and P25 at the same time. They could pass conventional and P25, or conventional and Trbo. But, whichever digital envelope was passed last, was entirely corrupted. And since the local PS MOT trunking system always had a control channel up, the customer's Trbo did a toilet swirlie.

We have a Silicon Forest customer (that shall remain nameless because of the NDA) that replaced all their aging TX/RX BDA's with Comba, and had a series of issues until our engineers discovered a problem in the signal processing code of the Combas. After many iterations of firmware, Comba resolved the problems. They may or may not have rolled it into their most recent production, but we now stay away from Comba despite the cost advantages.
    Bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay

CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_G View Post
    EM - Since you seem to be familiar with Comba product, have you ever worked on one that carried mixed modes in the same band?

We determined they could not pass Trbo and P25 at the same time. They could pass conventional and P25, or conventional and Trbo. But, whichever digital envelope was passed last, was entirely corrupted. And since the local PS MOT trunking system always had a control channel up, the customer's Trbo did a toilet swirlie.

We have a Silicon Forest customer (that shall remain nameless because of the NDA) that replaced all their aging TX/RX BDA's with Comba, and had a series of issues until our engineers discovered a problem in the signal processing code of the Combas. After many iterations of firmware, Comba resolved the problems. They may or may not have rolled it into their most recent production, but we now stay away from Comba despite the cost advantages.
    No mixed mode here so havent seen this. Hearing this doesn't surprise me though. It's a cruel world dealing with fw and sw issues.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,027 Posts

You mean full smoke is not the correct setting for BDA's ??
    "God as my witness" - Jeremy Dewitte - Felon

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to com501 For This Useful Post:

EM36 (1 Week Ago),RFI-EMI-GUY (6 Days Ago)

Thanks

Well, Combas can do an almighty +20dbm uplink to the donor.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bill_G For This Useful Post:

RFI-EMI-GUY (6 Days Ago)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_G View Post

That is indeed a frighting situation. Does this mean that if for example a co-channel or adjacent depending on BW setting, DMR signal enters the system that all the subsequent P25 calls will be trashed?

That sounds like a public safety critical bug.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RFI-EMI-GUY View Post
    That is indeed a frighting situation. Does this mean that if for example a co-channel or adjacent depending on BW setting, DMR signal enters the system that all the subsequent P25 calls will be trashed?

That sounds like a public safety critical bug.
    Yes. The Comba seemed capable of only doing one digital mode at a time. So, if a Trbo call was the first in process, a subsequent concurrent P25 call would be treated as Trbo, and vice versa. Our guys noticed it during the deployment. In staging, it all worked perfectly, but they were injecting one mode at a time. Once it got into RL, it immediately manifested itself because it faithfully passed the constant never ending P25 control channel, but not the customer Trbo.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Bill_G For This Useful Post:

EM36 (6 Days Ago)