Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Heard a rumor...need confirmation

cipher77 No Longer Registered

Default Heard a rumor...need confirmation

So, I was talking w/ someone on the local P25 repeater & this person stated that there is a Moto TRBO flash option NOW available for the APX7k. I am under the impression that it was decided by Moto that they will not integrate the 2 technologies into the APX line. This may be, on this person's part, a misunderstanding of the TDMA functionality of an APX but NOT TRBO. is this at all true or even in part true?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,323 Times in 1,804 Posts

Total BS for now. There's no TRBO flash option whatsoever. The only TDMA modes it does are P25 Phase II or Motorola X2.

Thanks

I think that falls into the same category as the "AES-1056" encryption algo [chuckles to self]!

Sorry, I see you're new to the site (welcome by the way) so that may be an inside joke (see this thread if you don't get it)?

It would be nice but I think Motorola might have noted such a feature in the firmware release notes if it were true?
    Andrew

I am new to this site using this login -- I've been a member since it's creation but it's been a long time since I logged in that I couldn't remember wtf my login credentials were along w/ the email I used to register. So, I just created a new account...I do have about 20 years experience w/ high tier /\/\ radios & heard that the APX hardware could support TRBO if /\/\ wanted to ever fully develop it & make it a flash option......I thought it was vaporware & just needed confirmation.....thanks guys...

It would be cool as hell if they did make it an option because here in N. IL, there are quite a few TRBO HAM repeaters that I wouldn't have to go purchase & carry another radio just to use those systems.......one can only wish I guess.......

Thanks

cipher77: Feel free to email me mars(at)p25(dot)ca with your old email addresses/possible login names (even partial) and I can search for them, or close the old account. If you had zero posts, it was likely purged anyway. We purge all accounts with 0 posts with no login activity for 60 days. If someone even makes just one post, their account will not be purged.

Anyway, radios...Yes I feel your pain with the TRBO stuff. We're in the process of moving from P25 Phase I conventional, to TRBO conventional. I love my ASTRO, but TRBO:

- Is much easier to network
    - More talk-paths (TDMA)
    - Equipment is less expensive by a longshot
    - Equipment is new and comes with warranties
    - Will be reasonably secure with AES-128, once firmware is updated in the new year (this is a promised option)

I too, really wish I didn't need two radios when one can do the job just fine. Oh well.

Thanks

The interesting thing is that you would think Motorola would include DMR/TRBO in the APX series for interoperability reasons.

Motorola is pushing TRBO VERY hard for the commercial market, as we all know. Malls, schools, public works, etc.

Where I'm from, the police have a lot of these type of services programmed into their equipment for interoperability with those agencies, if required.

So what happens when everything is TRBO, except public safety? My nice, shiny APX isn't nearly as useful as it used to be in analog mode.

I think we'll see this happen eventually.

Thanks

Fortunatly to add TRBO to the product line it would only require a new flash with the TRBO parameters and format to be loaded. If moto stays true to form they will never do this. Most probable is they will come up with a new product line that supports both P25 phase 1 and 2 plus TRBO.

If Motorola is reading this I propose the model line be called MDR (Motorola Digital Radio) or Modar. If you like it you can have it no strings attached if you add that supscription when available to my MOL.
    Last edited by Notarola; Jan 01, 2013 at 02:07 PM.

Thanks

The new digital "extreme interoperability" radio would cost $8000+, plus CPS subscription fees and firmware upgrade fees.

And it still won't have QCII

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mars View Post
    Boy that really chaps your *** something serious, doesn't it princess?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by d119 View Post
    Boy that really chaps your *** something serious, doesn't it princess?
    Sure does, honey buns :P

Thanks

It is indeed unfortunate that Moto does not listen to what their customer base wants/needs. I am sure that this is directl6y responsible for at least 25% of sales they loose to other manufacturers. It must be nice to be able to accept such a annual loss.

Thanks

Sure does, honey buns :P

Hahahahaha *snicker*

Thanks

The new digital "extreme interoperability" radio would cost $8000+, plus CPS subscription fees and firmware upgrade fees.

But it'll have an app to have your coffee ready for when you get home! Just think, MotoKeurig! (TM)

PRC148 No Longer Registered

Yea but you would have to sign an agreement that only you drank from it.

Well, As it stands, I spoke w/this person again to get clarification & to advise him of what I was advised on this board. He stated that this info that he received is from an extremely reliable source within Mother M's Land-mobile development & support (or something like that) group in Schaumburg. He further stated that this is going to be a flash option that will be purchaseable with the release of the next major firmware update release. Now, take it for what it's worth but The person that is telling me this doesn't have an APX7k but after learning of this from his source, he is on the fast track to procure a VHF/UHF r1 because he owns & operates both a P25 system & a TRBO system & is sick of carrying around 3 radios. I'm sure if the guy's gonna jizz out $5k for a radio, I'm sure there's some truth to this, to what degree, I don't know. Now, could it be just a developmental flash option? maybe, but the source told him that it will be released for purchase with the next firmware release as I stated above. I'm optomisic & knowing how retarded Mother M can be with listening to their customers needs & wants, I would say no eff'n way. but maybe there's a paragigm shift going on over there that we may see the fruits of it sometime in the near future.....

Like I said, TIFWIW......I just wanted to communicate this info so maybe, if anyoene knows some bonafide, inside Development engineers or maybe marketing people in Schaumburg, they can either confirm or debunk this rumor....

Thanks

Well anything is possible where Motorola is concerned but I'll believe it when I actually see it, until then I've got a nice bridge for sale if you're interested, right on Sydney Harbour, beautiful views, prime location, purchase outright or time-share, special today-only discount for cash...
    Andrew

Thanks

This looks much better
    Attached Images Attached Images

syntrx No Longer Registered

We'll see what happens.

To be honest, given the engineering work that would be required to make this happen, I fail to see how Motorola could justify it. Yeah the hardware can do it, but where's the market?

(Hams don't count.)

Well, from what I've been told, the engineering work is already completed & they're just waiting for the firmware release date to make it available.....& the Market: Public safety complete interoperability w/ all motorola systems (marketeer's jizz load) that's my opinion on it.....

Yea, I still think it's vaporware & will believe it when I see it but this guy's sources are pretty solid......I'm optomistic about it & look forward to see its release......but again, I will believe it when I see it.....

Thanks

I will sh*t my pants if we get Trbo before QCII

motorolanovice No Longer Registered

Quote Originally Posted by JeepFrog View Post
    dont get mars started again

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cipher77 View Post
    Well, from what I've been told, the engineering work is already completed & they're just waiting for the firmware release date to make it available.....& the Market: Public safety complete interoperability w/ all motorola systems (marketeer's jizz load) that's my opinion on it.....

Yea, I still think it's vaporware & will believe it when I see it but this guy's sources are pretty solid......I'm optomistic about it & look forward to see its release......but again, I will believe it when I see it.....
    The truth is in the FCC. When Moto get a Class II permisive change to add the TRBO emmisions mask to the radios, they you can start to be hopefull.

Thanks

Default Heard a rumor...need confirmation

Quote Originally Posted by JeepFrog View Post
    I've given up on QCII. A radio from 1992 is more useful than the APX in that regard.

We're talking about a commonly used public safety signaling method here.

The retarded engineering team is fortunate to have those $100,000+/yr jobs. The APX is designed to be a "have all" radio for public safety? Fail.

cleb No Longer Registered

Mars: I completely agree. I have an APX because I need to inter-operate between UHF and VHF, not do the latest digital encrypted trunked whatnot... Every system I use for Public Safety in the county is Analog VHF or UHF....and uses QCII. It can't be that hard to add it to the APX.

Thanks

I vote for both. I need QCII for our stuff, and TRBO for a neighboring agency that we mutual aid with all the time (and *always* have communications issues). But yeah, come on Moto... you can build a game-changing radio, but you can't make it generate *two* *farking* *tones*?