Thread: XTL5000 pre-amp option : hardware or firmware??

Thanks

Default XTL5000 pre-amp option : hardware or firmware??

I read that there is a "weak signal" pre-amp option for the XTL5000.

Is this a separate add-on board or is it just a matter of switching on the pre-amp either in software or by updating the firmware?

Thanks

It is a flashcode option. The hardware is already present on the uniboard.

Thanks

It's a Flashcode option: W12 - Preamp (D9 B2)

"Enables the Pre-Amp which allows the radio to boost a receive signal when needed.
    Actual Pre-Amp usage (by the radio) varies based on the CPS defined RF AGC settings for the radio’s currently operating channel."

EDIT: DOH! I need to learn to type faster... Jim beat me to it
    Andrew

Thanks

OK that pre-amp is a flashcode option - thanks

In general, do most XTL5000's come with the pre-amp option already enabled....so if you see one for sale without a full description of the flashcode, you don't need to worry that its not got the pre-amp enabled.

I need to do more research but is it "easy" to update the firmware on an XTL5000??? I suspect the answer is "no" and you need to use a special "dongle"

Thanks

Thanks

As with any other flashcode option, it may be present, it may not?

If the seller doesn't detail what's in the flashcode you can decode it yourself using Akardam's online decoder here:

http://www.akardam.net/moto/tools/decode4.pl

And yes, you will need an iButton to refresh the firmware, a quick search of the forum should yield any information on iButtons.
    Andrew

cyrus is offline Trailer Park Superintendent
    Thanks

Default XTL5000 pre-amp option : hardware or firmware??

Are we sure the hardware is already present? I seem to recall that the service manual shows two versions of the uniboard, one with the parts placed and one without.
    Cyrus

Bubbles: I'd like to see that Red Blue Green c***sucker put one of those together, duct-tapin' it.

Thanks

With the "RF Pre-amp" option are you switching ON a pre-amp or switching OFF an attenuator?

I was reading a thread on the RF AGC function...when this is disabled, the radio has greater sensitivity.

As a keen radio "hobbyist" (like everyboby else on this forum?), I only want an XTL5000 which has maximum sensitivity for weak signal work.

Is a XTL5000 without the pre-amp enabled deafer than an MCS2000. Reading some specs, it seems that without the pre-amp, the XTL5000 has 12dB SINAD analog sensitivity of around 0.2uv (121dBm) wheresas my VHF MCS2000 is around 0.14uV (124dBm). I would be really disappointed if an expensive XTL5000 (in analog mode) did not perform as well as my MCS2000

Thanks
    Thanked 6,299 Times in 1,797 Posts

RF AGC, RF Pre Amp and TX Audio AGC are all different things. Some people confuse them.

RF AGC: The radio dynamically adjusts the RF gain on the RX, depending on the noise floor/strong adjacent signals

RF Pre Amp: Exactly as advertised: It increases the receiver sensitivity when enabled. It should NOT be enabled in a high-noise environment, or when RF AGC is engaged.

TX Audio AGC: Normalizes transmit audio so when some jerk/idiot screams into the microphone, they are attenuated so as not to make the dispatcher go deaf or piss off other units. It also can increase the amplitude of a quiet-talker, but only as-defined in the AGC configuration screen. The gain levels are set values. TX AGC should be enabled on ALL radios, analog and digital. The AGC values and Noise Suppression type (Disabled, Standard, Advanced) should be tweaked per-user or environment for best results. Non-AGC systems sound like garbage and can affect safety of users, as they may have to repeat themselves several times if they're over-modulating/distorting.

Sorry to get off-topic on TX Audio AGC. Figured it may help others understand who may read this in the future.

Thanks

Thanks Mars

OK on the TX Audio AGC. When I was originally setting up my XTS3000 audio I noticed that Motorola got the "recommended" settings the wrong way round in the table in the SRN1370 bulletin..although the text was correct. Of course I initially used the values in the table and wondered why the audio sounded so bad. Basically the Output and Total values were the wrong way round...check out that SRN1370 bulletin!!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,299 Times in 1,797 Posts

Yes, SRN1370 is incorrect. It should be Type:AGC, Total +6dB, Output 0dB.

Must've been written on a Monday