Thread: XTS3000 III Firmware upgrade issue

Thanks

Default XTS3000 III Firmware upgrade issue

Hi Guys,
    I have upgraded the Host of this XTS 3000 to R7.71.07 from R05.60.00 using the TSOP lift method, that upgraded fine. I then upgraded the DSP from N06.05.02 to DSP N08.03.05 and on power up I get Fail 02/90 after the self test. I reprogrammed the DSP TSOP with N08.02.06 and the Radio boots and works fine. I then reprogrammed the DSP with N08.03.02 and again I get fail 02/90 after self test. I have tried N08.03.05 on another XTS 3000 III with the same result Fail 02/90 after self test. It seems the highest DSP version I can go is N08.02.08 without getting Fail 02/90.

Is there a compatibility issue with the two versions of Host and DSP firmware with my hardware ?

I know the most common cause is user error but I have carefully traced my steps in reprogramming the flash. I programmed with one programmer then read and save the file. Do the same with a different programmer, read and save and compare both saved files against each other and against the original bin and they are the same. Installation of the TSOP is fine and confirmed with magnification for correct joints.

It seems to me the problem follows any N08.03.XX bin file. Cant seem to figure this one out.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,329 Times in 1,807 Posts

The XTS3000 always uses the "N" series firmware, so as long as you're using N08.03.05, it should be good.

Fail 02/90 is caused by the DSP not booting. This is most always caused by no code being present, or not able to load. The most common cause is one or more cold solder joints on the 32-pin TSOP flash ROM.

Put N08.03.05 back on the chip and double-check your soldering work.

But before putting the chip back on the board, clean the board with flux remover (the chip too, before it goes into your adapter/programmer, obviously) and inspect the board for lifted traces. It's VERY easy to screw up the board. Those traces lift after multiple chip removals.

Also make sure you're orienting the chip in the proper position. It's easy to make a simple mistake. I've seen it on the board upside down before. It's a true moment.

Thanks

Hi Mars

Thank you for the replay and Happy New Year to all.

Ill walk you throu my process of flashing.

TSOP removed and PCB and TSOP32 cleaned with flux remover, I always check the PCB and CHIP with magnification when removed to ensure they are clean and no bridged on the TSOP.

I place the TSOP in my programmer and again check with magnification that the pins are all lined up

Program the TSOP32 and verify the code.

Place some flux on the PCB and position the TSOP, Solder one leg on each side and check with magnification that all pins are lined up and then solder the TSOP to the PCB, clean with flux remover and check with magnification, while checking I checked each and every leg with a pointy tool to identify any cold joints. TSOP is defiantly the correct way round on the PCB.

It seems every time I load N08.03.0X I get 02/90, If I read the radio with CPS DSP Code = 0.0.0 , If I load the TSOP with R08.02.08 no problems. My problems follow N08.03.0X firmwares.. I tried it in another XTS3000 today with the same problem. I dont think Im making a mistake only when code N08.03.05 is loaded in the TSOP upon installation. I have had allot of experience working with TSOP, BGA and SMD.

stumpped

tiledoct No Longer Registered

mars i have tried to email you no response about upgrading xts3000. please eamil info like address to ship

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tiledoct View Post
    mars i have tried to email you no response about upgrading xts3000. please eamil info like address to ship
    Hi, received your email the afternoon of May 9th. I will be replying to emails this afternoon. Sometimes I'm unable to reply immediately to emails as I might be driving, sleeping, or unable to reply (not home).

Thank you for your patience and business.

cyrus is offline Trailer Park Superintendent
    Thanks

Does anybody have a schematic of an XTS3000 programming/Flash cable?

I've got an old aftermarket cable and I suspect it doesn't have enough lines for flashing.
    Cyrus

Bubbles: I'd like to see that Red Blue Green c***sucker put one of those together, duct-tapin' it.

Thanks

Here you are~
    mtsxserv.gif

cyrus is offline Trailer Park Superintendent
    Thanks

Thank you.
    Cyrus

Bubbles: I'd like to see that Red Blue Green c***sucker put one of those together, duct-tapin' it.

Thanks

Hi Guys,

I finally sorted out the DSP firmware issue where I get Fail 02/90 with any N08.03.0X binary files I use. With help from a fellow board member I was able to obtain a DSP board that was flashed to N08.03.05. I removed the AM29F002 and read it and re-wrote it to my DSP EEPROM I was having issues with. After assembly the XTS boots past self test fine and self test mode confirms the correct build of the firmware of N08.03.05. When I performed a comparison of my binary file and the file originally obtained from here I found a noticeable difference, In my file where a ASCII Character of "." = $00 the N08.03.05 obtained from here has $80 for ASCII "." and also a few other differences. This is not the case for N08.03.02 and still do not know why that did not work either.

Ill put it down to my programmer being my original issue. I have attached my binary file used in case anyone else has issues as I did. I would love to know if anyone has had success with either my binary file or the original file posted by Mars.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks

B16A2, just to let you know, you just made my evening!! I ran into the same problem (02/90) using the original file in an Astro Spectra. I just blew your image in and it fired right up. I'm using 11.25.00.00 Host with your 08.03.05 (btw there's a typo in your name) and it's making P25 with no issues. Thanks for posting this! Not sure if it's related to the programmer, but I'm using a cheap TL866A Chinese programmer with the TSOP adapter. Regards, Dirk

Thanks

I had the same problem a few months ago, this is why I had to use another DSP version. Now I know that I haven't screwed anything, it was a faulty DSP code!

Thank you

Thanks

Hi guys

I will check the download and compare it against the known-good image I have here, which I have used several times. If there's a problem I will update. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Thanks

Yep. Corrupt downloads. Lovely. Confirmed the .BINs in the downloads section are all ****ed. It's not my files (originals) which are bad; I confirmed they are fine. I compared to the one b16a2 posted, with my own original, and it matches 100%.

Obviously something got hardcore dicked during the database move. The only solution is for me to delete it all and start again. Too time-consuming for my liking, so it'll be a while.

Huge apology for wasted time.

Thanks

Thanks for the confirmation of the corrupt binary files guys, I'm glad to be able to find the reason for my original issue. I see there is in fact a typo in the filename of the file I posted. Just to be clear the file DSP firmware version is N08.03.05 in that attachment not N08.05.03 (which does not exist).

Dirk have you had any success programming the Host EEPROM Intel TE28F008 with the TL866A ?

No need for apologies Mars, S*** happens, btw the files I used that are corrupt where downloaded in Nov 2012
    Last edited by b16a2; Jul 23, 2013 at 07:55 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 664 Posts

I noticed the DSP files were corrupt a while ago too, around 3/17/2013. A computer I had died, and took some files with it, including those. I tried re-downloading them from there, then making s-records from them for my PROM burner and after burning them noticed they were very different than they should have been. I eventually had to re-extract the BIN files and make new s-records as these seemed to be corrupted. The HOST .BIN file seemed to be OK, so I chalked it up to being wierdness in the banking structure, etc. but if I'm right these files have been corrupt for some time now, long before the recent switch-out of server hardware.

Thanks

b16a2, I have not tried updating the Host EEPROM yet, but it's on the to do list. I have a radio with 11.71.07.00 in it, and the plan was to yank that EEPROM and pull a bin file out of it. It would be even quicker if anyone has already pulled the bin and could share...??? Have you heard of any issues with the TL866A? So far I'm pretty impressed with it. Aside from the broken english / chinese setup instructions, it's been very user friendly and supports a ton of parts! Thanks for looking into the files Mars, I'm really glad just to have people to compare notes with and save my sanity as I get used to the new programmer. -Dirk

Thanks

It's not an EEPROM; it's a Flash ROM. Specifically a 40-pin TSOP. Do not confuse the two devices, as the 32K EEPROM (28-pin TSOP) holds the codeplug, not firmware.

Thanks

I have found the TL866A to be a bit of a hit and miss with the Intel TE28F008 Flash, Iv been wondering what other peoples experience has been.

Thanks

I'm sure the programmer is fine. It's likely the TSOP adapter. They're VERY picky as to pin alignment/seating.

One of my programmers is the UP-2008. I use it for FBGA/VFBGA operations. I do have a TSOP adapter for it, and the software shows pin connection/shorts/opens, which I can rectify before accessing the device. I have found this to be invaluable in terms of saving my time and obtaining good results. Not all programmers/software support this pin alignment screen.

Phyton's ChipProg48 also supports this, to a less-detailed extent.

Thanks

The TL866A will ID the Intel E28F00X family of Flash ROMs incorrectly, however this can be ignored and you can continue, some will verify fine most will not.

Thanks

I have downloaded all the HOST and DSP files in december 2012. If you want, I can send them back to you, if this helps

Thanks

Thanks for the offer, but that's not necessary. I have multiple backups of everything I posted. Just need to find a more reliable way of hosting the files.