Thread: Mototrbo XPR 6550 UHF transmit issue

rbastage No Longer Registered

Default Mototrbo XPR 6550 UHF transmit issue

Hopefully I have placed this thread in the proper section of the forum. I recently purchased a XPR 6550 UHF (AAH55QDH9LA1AN) and have updated it to the current firmware (R01.09.10).

The radio it works fine in digital, however while transmitting in analog it generates noise that is only heard on the receiving radio. The noise is almost sounds like a data transmission and is continuous throughout the transmission.

I have tried:

• Different receiving radios but they always receive the same noise
    • Different frequencies
    • Different operating environment

Being new to MotoTRBO and the XPR series I may have overlooked something while programming this radio. So any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have also attached a sound clip of the noise.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks
    Thanked 7,063 Times in 2,005 Posts

Almost sounds like ignition or RF noise. Have you checked your grounds? SWR?

Also, R01.09.10 is not current firmware. R01.11.02 was released on Dec. 14. You can get it here:

https://www.p25.ca/threads/1788-TRBO...Files-Are-Here

Thanks

Feel free to post or send me your codeplug if you like... and I'll see if there is anything odd. Haven't heard noise like that from a portable before though... odd. Is the radio new or used?

It does sound like ignition noise but it is not being used in a vehicle. The connections the portable radio's connectors and battery connectors are clean with no damage. As for checking the SWR I will have to check, but if there was an swr issue wouldn't the digital mode be effected as well? Is this new firmware compatible with CPS 8.0?

Quote Originally Posted by Forts View Post
    Feel free to post or send me your codeplug if you like... and I'll see if there is anything odd. Haven't heard noise like that from a portable before though... odd. Is the radio new or used?
    It is used radio. The code plug I have attached is with the older firmware the radio came with before I updated it to R01.09.10. The issue was still present then as well.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I am not having much luck figuring this issue out. I am not sure if this is a programming issue, or a hardware issue. So does anyone have any advice?

Thanks

Sadly I don't really see this being a programming issue. It's pretty cut and dried programming in an analog channel so I don't really see any 'wrong' settings that would cause something like that. Hopefully you didn't inherit someone else's problem when you bought the radio

Thanks for looking at the code plug, I suspected it was a hardware issue at first but thought I might have overlooked something while programming this radio.

Thanks

If I was you I would first check radio on service monitor and see if tune up right,you have to use tuner software and make sure TX side is on the specs.If you do not have one let me know I can help you.

Quote Originally Posted by t95mwp View Post
    If I was you I would first check radio on service monitor and see if tune up right,you have to use tuner software and make sure TX side is on the specs.If you do not have one let me know I can help you.
    I don't have the tuner software, so any help you can offer will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Send me your email.

I have included an updated comparison between digital and analog transmit from this 6550, the sound is only heard through the receiving radio but only on analog the digital is fine.

6550.zip

Not sure what else can be done, it also appears that this radio may have been opened by the prior owner.
    Last edited by rbastage; Jan 01, 2013 at 02:55 PM.

Just an update, The guy I purchased the radio from stated that this is a known issue with the older XPR 6550's as they were meant for digital. I am not sure whether to believe him or not. If it were a known issue why was I unable to find some sort of documentation on the the net about this issue?

Thanks

Have you tried it with no pl or dpl? Not sure how it was programmed in that sample. I would check the alignment with a service monitor first, then I would open it up and reseat the connections carefully. We have sold and serviced hundreds of 6550's on analog and digital from the time they were released and I don't recall hearing that before.

I have tried it with and without pl and dpl, with the same result. I think I may have inherited someone elses problem as Forts put it. But I do appreciate the response.