Thread: Bought a VHF XTS 2500 Panter, seems a bit deaf...

Thanks

Default Bought a VHF XTS 2500 Panter, seems a bit deaf...

OK, OK, I did read all the disclaimers on Panters, but curiosity got the best of me.

Snagged a VHF XTS 2500 with P25 trunking on it, as there will be some of those systems coming up in my area. Plus, I wanted a VHF for fireground and such. My XTS 3000 from Mars is such an awesome performer on the RX side that I thought I'd get me some of that goodness on VHF.

Well, unfortunately, maybe not so much. It's not totally deaf, mind you. But it's certainly not as good as the 3000 is. Of course, a VHF duck is not going to be efficient, so I've tried external antennas and it still seems not up to par.

Were my expectations a bit too high? Is the XTS 2500 as capable as the 3000?

Other people have mentioned that narrowbanding has had an impact on range - any thoughts on this?

In any case, I'm not totally put off by this yet. It does work. I'll see if it's off frequency today or tomorrow. That would be sweet, but I'm not holding my breath.

I did see some AGC settings in CPS but those seem to be mainly for IM rejection purposes, which I don't think I have - but I don't discount me making a mistake in CPS either.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,329 Times in 1,807 Posts

You should use ASTRO25 Tuner, and check out the RX Bandpass filters. Those will greatly affect RX sensitivity if they're off.

Thanks

Thanks Mars, I'll do that - but at this moment, while I can use CPS, Tuner is barfing on me. I'll figure it out...

Thanks

Interesting, the help file for Tuner says that no tuning is required, to use the default front end filter values.

I'll take a gander at the service manual's alignment procedures. It's on this site, no?

Update: Hmmmm.... moving the softpot for the RefOsc doesn't do much of anything. It does look off by a KHz or so, but I can't change it enough. It's at 511 right now. Hey, it goes to 511!

The Front End settings don't look bad - I didn't change them.
    Last edited by noaffiliatefan; Dec 27, 2012 at 08:05 PM. Reason: Updates

Thanks
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 664 Posts

I have seen RF decks with broken "softpots" that can't be tuned. The radio was off by some 1 - 1.5 kHz and no matter what the osc warp was set to the frequency would not change. If that's the case then the board hardware is screwed up and no software will fix it. Try emailing Lau about it, he has been responsive the one or two times I have had problems with his stuff and he has been good about sending out replacements.

Thanks

Yep, that sounds about right - I was watching the spectrum analyzer while moving the Ref Osc softpot and the frequency never moved at all. It's also about 1 KHz off as you described. The softpots for the front end did work.

The "receipt" he put in the box I can't find at the moment - any chance you have his email address handy and can send it to me via PM?

Thanks

Follow up, it took me a while to send it back to him with the holidays and such, but he was good about it and sent back the replacement radio (great, I get to use drag and drop in CPS now!) very quickly.

The replacement XTS2500 is certainly better, but still pales in comparison to the XTS3000 I have. Some of this of course will be the disadvantage in a duck antenna at VHF.

Not really an endorsement of these radios, just observations. I'm not thrilled, nor am I really dis-satisfied either.

Mark No Longer Registered

you're lucky, i bought a 2500 off Panter88 and the com port was duff.
    bought a real one after

triptolemus is offline T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,923 Times in 657 Posts

Duff?

homer.jpg

I snagged a panter radio as a throw-away experiment. It just sits there listening... Not used in the field at all. No issues.

Thanks

I've got a Panter UHF 2500...it doesn't like to transmit above 468 or receive much very well up there either. But I use it as a hobby radio that spends most of its life RXing, and rarely TXing in the hammie band.

Even after a full alignment by two different people, it doesn't play nice. But as you say, for a hobby radio there's nothing wrong with them at all - I'd just never use one in any instance that required reliability.

Default pls ignore

i 'quick replied' to the wrong post in the thread. apologies, please ignore
    Last edited by Mark; May 18, 2013 at 01:33 PM. Reason: brain not working

Hi Triptolemus ..
    Yup, it was duff alright, the XTS 2500 i bought, (Panter) converted PR1500 to model 3 XTS2500 - was ok externally, in fact we could tell no tangible difference between it and a much more expensive one sourced at the same time from the US, and we were quite impressed until the prog cables arrived...

The first time we read the Panter set all was as expected, saved the CP, but got a write error after we set up TMS.
    We did all the usual things, still no comms, the USA XTS was reading/writing on the same equipment.
    Another programming computer, the Panter XTS read perfectly, wrote perfectly, then com error again.
    yet another computer, the Panter XTS read and wrote correctly again.

we were starting to run out of computers by now.

I was *so* close to tapping into the lead and scoping to see what was happening - but as the other XTS worked fine i never did.
    when Panter got the thing back i mentioned to him the first failure we saw was when we had set TMS up and were writing the CP back,
    and from then on he seemed fixated on TMS and said he had 'read up on it'
    now, I'm a Astro noob, but even my noob warning lights started flashing .. he missed the point, there was no comms!

Maybe i was just unlucky, But I've spent a good long time reading up and learning about this, and TMS is no mystery to me,
    so why he was so puzzled and kept mentioning it was enough for me, i should have sent him some links, let him read up on what I've been leaning..

sloosecannon No Longer Registered

It may be a BS response, but it's worth noting that I read and wrote to an XTS VHF fine till I put TMS in. After that, it wouldn't read or write unless I put it in service mode

Sent from my XT907 on CM10.1 using Tapatalk 4 beta

i meant "set TMS up" (and added it to the menu) - it was already in the flashcode. - was it a panter set ?
    i dont think the 2500 does the service mode like the 3000 does,

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    i meant "set TMS up" (and added it to the menu) - it was already in the flashcode. - was it a panter set ?
    i dont think the 2500 does the service mode like the 3000 does,
    Yeah I set TMS up and it started refusing to program.

Service mode is entered by mashing the button right over the PTT right after boot... Apparently it uses a different programming mode or something which is significantly slower

Thanks
    Thanked 1,371 Times in 425 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sloosecannon View Post
    Service mode is entered by mashing the button right over the PTT right after boot.
    No, mashing is what you do to potatoes. Service mode is entered by repeatedly pressing the lowest button below the PTT immediately after turning on the power. Pressing 5 times usually does it.
    "Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have. The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Number 6 View Post
    No, mashing is what you do to potatoes. Service mode is entered by repeatedly pressing the lowest button below the PTT immediately after turning on the power. Pressing 5 times usually does it.
    Very well. Pardon the nontechnical terminology. But yeah other than that I had no problems with that radio...

Ahh - i didn't know that while in service mode, that it makes a difference to the com-port i/o - as soon as we got the set, service mode
    verified that it was indeed the 4meg version with the correct flashcode - I guess thats what Panter did when he got the set back.
    wish i'd have known before i spent more $$ - and I've never seen reference to that particular one, so thanks for the tip

I like the user ID No.6 ... i went down to 'the village' Portmerion, several years ago as I'm a huge fan too

Mark

Thanks
    Thanked 1,371 Times in 425 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I like the user ID No.6 ... i went down to 'the village' Portmerion, several years ago as I'm a huge fan too
    Someday I will escape from this wretched island.
    "Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have. The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sloosecannon View Post
    Yeah I set TMS up and it started refusing to program.

Service mode is entered by mashing the button right over the PTT right after boot... Apparently it uses a different programming mode or something which is significantly slower

I have a pair of Panter88 XTS2500's with TMS enabled, I've never experienced this issue. Are you guys using a genuine Motorola OEM programming cable (serial or USB)?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 664 Posts

FWIW, there are no aftermarket USB cables, only serial ones. There is a Dallas/Maxim 1-wire ID chip inside the USB cables that prevents them from being cloned, effectively.