• If posting about a radio issue: Include the HOST, DSP and UCM/secure firmware versions, flashcode and CPS version you're using along with the operating system info. This is critical information.

2 XTS5000's, really bored and some Krylon plastic paint

Status
M

mikem

Not Registered
I was bored, at walmart and saw some Krylon Fusion paint #2329 Patriotic Blue/Safety Blue that said for plastic etc so I bought some and stripped down my XTS cases.

Don't worry I have several new black spare cases so when I get sick of the blue I can revert back to black cases.

Yes I know I need to get rid of that X-mas tree too.

So far no chipping or problems with the paint.

I actually followed the directions on the can and left them alone for 7 days, they were touchable after ~ 3 hours but I didn't carry them around until after 7 days just to be safe.

And yes I did paint both cases slightly different on purpose, the radio on the right has the 3 side buttons painted blue whereas the VHF on the left does not, I did this just to have some variety and see what looked the best.

Mike

Attachments

• IMG_0320.jpg
    IMG_0320.jpg
    563 KB · Views: 443
  • IMG_0321.jpg
    IMG_0321.jpg
    558.3 KB · Views: 365
Last edited:
OP
N

newtomotorola

Not Registered
Looks good, nice job.

OP
M

motorolanovice

Not Registered
That is so sexy mate good job

triptolemus

T¹ ÆS Ø - Moderator
Staff member
CS Forums $upporter
I think I like it... but I'm not sure. It sort of reminds me of...

motophat.jpg

but the more I look at those blue 5000's... they are growing on me... nice work.

Avery Johannssenn

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
Awesome work!

Reminds me of:

Attachments

• 430997450_b9f9af1bd9_b.jpg
    430997450_b9f9af1bd9_b.jpg
    379 KB · Views: 216
  • 430997918_12bd7474a5_b.jpg
    430997918_12bd7474a5_b.jpg
    366.6 KB · Views: 260
OP
Y

Yaesu

Not Registered
Looks good. Must have been real bored.

Only 8 more months till Christmas season, just leave the tree be.....

OP
M

MOTOROLANUT

Not Registered
Reminds me of the Jurassic Park White Saber mystery from years ago....LOL

OP
Y

Yaesu

Not Registered
I want to chrome a case. That would look different.

CQDX

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
I had thought about making a chrome-gold one. Maybe I will :)

foxtrotdelta

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
Have you (or anyone else) tried to paint a battery to match?! Looks really good though!

OP
M

mikem

Not Registered
That pink xts is what drove me to it. The wife looking at me like I was nuts running around saying how bad it looked. She made the comment that I spend to much time at work with radios and need a vacation.

I was goin to do a battery later this weekend just to see what it looks like. I am also thinking about a blue GE MPA handheld and Saber but I don't. Have spare cases for these 2 radios for when I get sick of the blue.

Avery, that's the same paint. Our Wally world only had brown black and blue but if they had white and red then I may have going for a patriotic threesome.

Last edited:
OP
M

mtp850

Not Registered
battery.jpg

Your blue housing would look great with the batteries that we use, I might buy some spray and have a go at it.

This is one of our "tech" batteries. They are used to ID which radios are our own to stop them getting mixed up with others that get worked on in the field.

They come from here http://www.emergingpower.com/?q=category/radio-model-number/xts-5000 model EP8294Li-P(O)

d119

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
So this must be the ATEX-variety XTS 5000? (a-la blue HT750's)

Astro Spectra

T¹ ÆS Ø - Moderator, CS Forums $upporter
Staff member
CS Forums $upporter
Just the right blue for ATEX, here's the new 'Trbo ATEX radio like the XPR7550 but with the proper Jedi SMA antenna connector and IS:

dp4000-ex-news.png

OP
S

syntrx

Not Registered
I'd kill for a 7550 in an ATEX housing.

Bet it's a depot only item though, just like the Waris ATEX housings.

OP
T

twistedpos

Not Registered
I did the exact same thing with my XTS5000, only the paint will rub off after a while...

OP
M

mikem

Not Registered
How long did yours take for the paint to rub off, for my radios with routine handling for 1 week I haven't seen any signs of rubbing off. I did let mine cure at 30 C and low humidity, < 10%, in a thermal chamber so this may have helped.

Status