Thread: EFJ "Cycle Power"

XPR8300 No Longer Registered

Default EFJ "Cycle Power"

I have a portable on my desk that boots up (to the Radio ID at least) but stops at "Cycle Power" and flashes the amber light. I am able to program and firmware update the radio just fine but cannot get past this. Is the controller fubard?

Thanks

I had a 5100ES with the same problem. The fix that was suggested to me (and actually worked) was to disassemble the radio from the case, inside you'll see a flex ribbon cable going from the case to the radio. Pop it out and re-seat it. Put the radio back together and it should work. I did that almost a year ago and have not had a problem since.

I removed and reseated all three ribbons and have the same issue. I guess this controller is bad or something.

Thanks

Alpha posted this in another thread...

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    According to the 5100 Service manual (I know it's the mobile not the portable) it sheds some light on the error message:

"This error message appears when there is a communication failure between the DSP and the back end ADC on the RF deck."

If the same reason applies, it sounds like the radio may have serious problems. Generally, it means there was some fatal error, and your only option is to turn it off.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,344 Times in 664 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by XPR8300 View Post
    I have a portable on my desk that boots up (to the Radio ID at least) but stops at "Cycle Power" and flashes the amber light. I am able to program and firmware update the radio just fine but cannot get past this. Is the controller fubard?
    The number of LED flashes may also be significant! More from the 5100 Service Manual...

Table 6.1 Start Up Failure LED Indications
    Orange LED
    Blinks -- Start Up Failure ----- Start Up Failure Type
    1 ------ Incorrect Software -- The software was loaded on the wrong platform. This indication is displayed if the boot loader version does not match the expected boot loader version number.
    2 ------ Bad File Format ----- The parameter file version number does not match the software version in the radio.
    3 ------ Parms Fail ---------- The backup copy of the parameters (stored in the SPI flash device) is invalid. To remove this error, use PC Configure to write the parameter file.
    4 ------ Bad Band ----------- The radio band in the parameter file does not match the radio band in the tuning parameters. This error message displays if a parameter file for the wrong band is downloaded to the radio.
    5 ------ Corrupt Parms ------ This error message appears if the parameters checksum is OK, but the parameters file has an error in it. This message does not normally appear.
    6 ------ EE PROM Fail ------- The self test timed out and the parameter file has not yet been read and verified.
    7 ------ DSP Failed --------- The PowerPC never received a power up message from the DSP.
    8 ------ Cycle Power ------- This error message appears when there is a communication failure between the DSP and the back end ADC on the RF deck.

Although it sounds like yours is probably flashing 8x. This is probably for "Model 1" troubleshooting, but if you're getting something other than 8 it might be significant.

coopcity6 No Longer Registered

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    The number of LED flashes may also be significant! More from the 5100 Service Manual...

Table 6.1 Start Up Failure LED Indications
    Orange LED
    Blinks -- Start Up Failure ----- Start Up Failure Type
    1 ------ Incorrect Software -- The software was loaded on the wrong platform. This indication is displayed if the boot loader version does not match the expected boot loader version number.
    2 ------ Bad File Format ----- The parameter file version number does not match the software version in the radio.
    3 ------ Parms Fail ---------- The backup copy of the parameters (stored in the SPI flash device) is invalid. To remove this error, use PC Configure to write the parameter file.
    4 ------ Bad Band ----------- The radio band in the parameter file does not match the radio band in the tuning parameters. This error message displays if a parameter file for the wrong band is downloaded to the radio.
    5 ------ Corrupt Parms ------ This error message appears if the parameters checksum is OK, but the parameters file has an error in it. This message does not normally appear.
    6 ------ EE PROM Fail ------- The self test timed out and the parameter file has not yet been read and verified.
    7 ------ DSP Failed --------- The PowerPC never received a power up message from the DSP.
    8 ------ Cycle Power ------- This error message appears when there is a communication failure between the DSP and the back end ADC on the RF deck.

Although it sounds like yours is probably flashing 8x. This is probably for "Model 1" troubleshooting, but if you're getting something other than 8 it might be significant.
    So what do you do when you got the 2 x light flash?
    Keep going through versions until it goes away?
    That's my prediction now

Thanks
    Thanked 1,344 Times in 664 Posts

That would mean the HOST code and codeplug versions are different, in Moto parlance. This is something that Moto does not check, if this happens then the radio just acts screwy or resets, it doesn't error out.

That may happen if someone screwed with the radio and injected a codeplug that was newer or older than the current firmware in the radio. The error would probably only occur normally after a botched upgrade, I'm thinking, since updating the HOST code also usually upgrades the codeplug to match.

Oh, the codeplug is a "parameter file" in EFJ parlance, that is much more descriptive of what it is, really.

salonorg No Longer Registered

sometimes it is the sem module . the encryption board that needs to be swapped sometimes a firmware upgrade will work too or a downgrade

coopcity6 No Longer Registered

ok, i like the sounds of the downgrade, but how do i do that?

Default EFJ "Cycle Power"

Downgrades work exactly like upgrades. With an efj you can go up and down in version without any issues.