Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XTL2500 SN Mismatch

Thanks

Default XTL2500 SN Mismatch

I just got a high power XTL2500 VHF M5 off ebay
    Came with everything but when I power it up the control head briefly displays "SN MISMATCH" and goes into maintenance mode.
    I cant read or write
    If I plug into the radio itself it says "XTL5000 found installing device"
    Think the radio is flashed as a 5000 and doesnt like the M5 head?
    I cant read the radio directly either

Thanks

I'd try plugging an O5 head into it and see what happens. Sounds like a poorly-whored radio.

Thanks

I guess it would be Serial Number Mismatch since the serial number prefix is different between the tiers?

Being a VHF, the serial number should begin with "518" for an XTL2500 or "585" for an XTL5000 (or "276" if the XTL5000 was taken from a consolette), I don't think XTL1500's were available in high-power were they?

So the M5 may be looking for a 2500 serial prefix and throwing the error once it sees the 5000 prefix?
    Andrew

Thanks

If thats the case, should I be able to read the radio directly or am I running into the no controlhead power up problem?
    unfortunately I dont have an O5 around to try

Thanks

The head doesn't look at serial... doesn't care. I've plugged an M5 head into a 5000 before and it did generate an error - I can't recall the actual text but it was something pretty obvious like "CH MISMATCH".

I'm still voting for a bad whore-job.

Thanks

It wasnt advertised as a particularly good flash.
    Is thing alive if windows recognizes it when I plug in the cable? or would the CHIB being powered up do that?

Thanks

OK, so I made some sort of progress, but then took a few steps back.
    Somehow the radio came up and I was able to read and write.
    So I decided to up the firmware since it was R08.00.10.
    Head upgraded, radio failed now I have S/W MISMATCH.
    I can read and write the radio without the head, how can I up the firmware in the radio without the head communicating?

tem0099 No Longer Registered

You might have to buy 5000 control head and sink with that head.
    Last edited by tem0099; Dec 31, 2012 at 09:31 AM. Reason: mid

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tem0099 View Post
    You can fix this problem very easy.
    Buy or build a rear connector programming cable.
    read the radio and see what the codeplug is 5k or 2500
    if the codeplug is a 5k then you can just buy a 5k control head and sink the head and your radio will come alive and work.
    If you want the radio to be a a 2500 you will need to write a 2500 codeplug to the radio & sink the head.
    The point is the radio will not read via the mic if the head is not correct to match the codeplug.
    I'm not sure how much information I'm allowed to post in fixing this problem, so I'll not go to far with this, but only to say you need the rear programming cable to fix this problem & that there are a number of was to go about this problem depending what you have available to fix the problem with.

1: buy or build a DB9 to DB26 ( rear connector) programming cable
    2: change or put a xtl2500 cpg into radio
    3: sink head
    tem0099, can you also build a rear connector into a high power radio to connect it to?

XTL High Power Rear.jpg
    Last edited by Bigfella237; Dec 31, 2012 at 09:46 AM. Reason: Add deleted quote info
    Andrew

tem0099 No Longer Registered

Andrew I missed the fact he was talking about a high power & was just correcting my post a few mins later, give me a chance

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tem0099 View Post
    Andrew I missed the fact he was talking about a high power & was just correcting my post a few mins later, give me a chance
    You gotta be quick around here!

Also, please don't delete information as it screws up the continuity of the thread for future readers, if you need to make a correction please add it in the form of an "EDIT" or just post a new reply?
    Last edited by Bigfella237; Dec 31, 2012 at 09:47 AM. Reason: move quote to correct post
    Andrew

Thanks

Also, I have got it to read and write and is actually a 2500, but only the head took firmware now I need to figure out how to upgrade the firmware in the body. I still think something isnt right.
    S/W MISMATCH with FL 01-90

Thanks

Could this be bad CHIB? radio reads and writes without going thru the head. Head does firmware and other flashzap activities

Thanks

I have 3 XTL5000 with M5 head. I will post refit picture later.

Thanks

Sorry, but... pix or it didn't happen. I've never seen a native 5000 talking to a native M5 head.

Thanks

so what do you think? I have hope since the radio body is read and writable, head seems to function fine. I tried the radio with another M5 head and same thing. 01-90 into maintenance mode

Thanks

Any suggestions what so ever?

Thanks

Try to sync the control head using the CPS's control head sync function.

Thanks

Ive tried a sync. It says it works, yet I still get FL01-90

Thanks

Default W series head maybe

Did you try a w series head on it? V8 firmware might be to early to support the O series. I haven't seen a 2500 with anything earlier than V9 firmware. Since the M5 and O5 heads are basically the same hardware and the O series heads were not supported until V9 try a W series head. Astro spectra W heads are the same and any should fire up. If that works just use your serial cable and flash the radio up beyond V9 and things should brighten up and work. I have seen quite a few radios that were mismatched due to the government selling the radios in different lots at auction. Also a bunch since mobile L** was released into the wild. Be careful flashing the radio with a W series head, if the flash gets interrupted you can end up with a brick. If the control head needs to be synced it normally either dumps into maintenance mode or errors to C/H MISMATCH, a fail like a 90 is a fatal and means the thing is hopefully only brain dead temporarily. Good luck and post your results so everybody can learn from it. By the way the W series heads don't need a sync, they are not as smart as the M/O series, they do require a different TIB and flex though. I may have some old ones laying around if you need.

Thanks

I havent tried a W series yet. It did work long enough for me to program and start to do firmware, but hasnt worked since.
    How would one flashzap with a W9?

Thanks

Thanks

manually entering flashzap

Thanks

I would never recommend using the flashzap method like that on a mobile radio.

Thanks

There is a procedure using Hyper Terminal and a serial cable to the back port. I have used it and it does work but you also MUST make sure you have solid reliable power to the radio and computer, you can brick the thing if it fails during the erase part of the flash. I am assuming you do not have an Ibutton and are attempting the "dirty flash" procedure. I am also assuming the radio is not in failure all the time. If you have a constant 01/90 failure the radio is likely bricked. Try the W series control head and see how it powers up. What does the model number placard say the radio is? Only the XTL5000 ever supported the W series head, the 2500 and 1500 only supported the M/O series. Do you have access to L** software? If so create the proper codeplug and force feed it to the radio. Do not try the L** tools area for flashing, most versions in the wild did not remove the hardware key requirement so it will fail. I use normal V17.01 CPS to "dirty flash" and it works fine. Just remember the protection normal CPS offers is removed in L** and you can create a codeplug that is incomparable with your radio. No matter what you do using a M/O series CH with anything less than CPS 9 won't work, they just aren't supported until CPS 9. Instructions below are from another post on this site and do work.

"Hyper terminal into radio with W series head. send AT&FZAP to radio and it should go into flash zap. (11/26/2012)"
    This ONLY works using a serial port programming cable to the rear accy connector, USB will present problems and fail risk an unrecoverable brick condition. Once the firmware is flashed up past V9 the O5/M5 head can be utilized. But this can be a risky deal so your milage may vary, good luck.