Thread: New SHORTER antenna for APX!!

Thanks

Default New SHORTER antenna for APX!!

******Update a shorter antenna is available for V-7/800-G part number is NAR6594A and is 7.68inches long instead of around 9inches. For reference it is a little over .25inches longer than a 7/800 long antenna for an XTS. Oh, I should mention the shorter V-7/800 DualBand antenna does have the GPS antenna in it also. I will be ordering a couple test them out. Before I order more to be deployed in the field. I will let you guys know how they work out. I did not ask Mot parts ID about other bands only V-7/800 GPS antennas. Hopefully I am not covering something that has already been discussed. Oh and price is around $80 if I remember correctly.

I had posted this in Cops don't like APX antenna forum. I have an first generation APX that came with the 9 incher on mine from the factory. Not sure if they are shipping them now with these shorter versions.

I apologize if I have should not have created a new thread, but just thought the information might be valuable to some.

Thanks

They are being shipped with the new antenna. They do make a big difference and have found no difference in performance.

Thanks

Default Re: New SHORTER antenna for APX!!

Do they make one that is VHF/700-800, but no GPS, that is even shorter, for those who don't use GPS?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by logitec View Post
    Do they make one that is VHF/700-800, but no GPS, that is even shorter, for those who don't use GPS?
    Not that I am aware of.
    Radio Referenced...Those who think they know it all are very annoying to those of use who do.

Thanks

Now if they could make a shorter UHF/800 antenna.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by medic550 View Post
    Now if they could make a shorter UHF/800 antenna.
    They may have one, just call parts ID, that's how I found out about the shorter antenna for V-7/800
    Radio Referenced...Those who think they know it all are very annoying to those of use who do.

Thanks

moetorola or anyone else have a pic of the new antenna on their APX? Just curious what it looked like on the radio. I saw a pic of just the antenna.

Thanks

Thanks

Should have the antenna monday, according to tracking. Ill get you a pick.

Thanks

I have this antenna and it works great for both VHF and 800. At this time I am only using my APX7K for VHF, our 800 system is still a year away. I see from some venders that they have the PMAD 4094A VHF stubby antenna listed under the APX antenna list, is there any reason I could not use this antenna if I only am using VHF, I know this antenna is basically designed for MOTOTRBO, but is there a problem using it on the APX?

Thanks

No, it will work fine as long as you are only using vhf.

Thanks

Thanks, Magnus

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by UNDfan View Post
    moetorola or anyone else have a pic of the new antenna on their APX? Just curious what it looked like on the radio. I saw a pic of just the antenna.

Thanks
    Take the antenna you have now, and remove 1.4" from the bottom. Bam - new antenna. Looks identical, just a bit shorter.

Thanks

APX Bent.jpgAPX VHF800.jpg

Who said you cannot bend an APX antenna!!!LOL

I personally like the antenna much better, you wouldn't think an inch or so would make that big of a difference. I am going to keep it on the radio now. The other radio is a VHF HT1000 the radios are darn near identical in height radio wise not a huge difference in antenna height. The APX definitely is not as flexible as the HT antenna but I can live with that. The vhf antenna on the HT is a 150-160 range. FYI, I checked some of our 2012 radio's and Motorola has been shipping these shorter antennas with orders clear back to early 2012 at least. My radio is a early 2011 maybe late 2010 model and did come with the 9inch beast.

Overall I feel it was worth it, and seems to be a little more sensitive on 800Mhz, VHF performance seems to be identical. The HT antenna was the one I would swap back and forth with my 800 antenna, the APX seems to be the same and maybe even a little better than the monoband HT1000 antenna,,go figure. Not scientific tests by any means. The reason I think it's better is a weak signal will drop out when turning and moving the radio around with the mono band HT1000 antenna on, in contrast the APX antenna does not seem to have this effect as much. Could be the Mono band has a tighter pattern due to a little higher gain possibly, but still could not tell a difference, as I could here the weak signal equally well on both monoband and APX multiband antennas on VHF.

Thanks

I just received a Comet SMA209 VHF/UHF antennna for my VHF/UHF APX 7K, the antenna is 3" tall and uses a female SMA connector to match the Motorola antenna connector, so far the small antenna works almost as good as the factory whip, stil searching for a shorter antenna for my VHF/800 APX7K

Thanks

Does that Comet SMA209 work with the GPS side of things?
    Andrew

Thanks

I have not tried the GPS, not sure, it certainly isn't advertised as working with GPS, sorry I can't answer....

Thanks

GPS no, GPS is at I think around 1.5Ghz. Then again that 3 inch dummy load,, Ummm,,, i mean antenna might be almost the right wavelength to pick up the sats. Sorry, just had to give you guys a hard time. If your in public saftey please dont use any antenna that is 3 inches long stick with the antenna the radio was designed for. If for ham use, have at it! Don't get me wrong I had an antenna like that on my ICOM IC-92AD ham radio HT at one time.

Thanks

I am using the Comet antenna on my VHF/UHF APX 7K for ham, I am using the new shorter Motorola factory VHF/800 antenna on my APX7K VHF/800 for public service, I agree, I would not use the comet for public service..

Thanks
    Thanked 6,631 Times in 1,889 Posts

You guys and your ham antennas. Seriously. BUSH LEAGUE.

Up here in Canada, Motorola sells the APX with the optional Antron 99 antenna (CB base). It works awesome for VHF, UHF, 7-800 and GPS. NOTHING compares.

Now sometimes I do say "For armpits sakes", but I never have to worry about dropping my APX in a swamp or river, as I can easily just pull it out by using the antenna.

If anyone is interested, the part number is RUCB2013A.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks

Hey, sometimes its better if things are bigger and sometimes it better if things are smaller....yes we are vain in our own way, by the way, where can I order one of those large antennas here in the lower 48, it would certainly keep me from misplacing my radio....

Thanks

Mars , my eyes are watering,,, LOL

XPR8300 No Longer Registered

I wonder if they make that in Moonraker form?!?!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,631 Times in 1,889 Posts

Yes, XPR8300. And Wilson is also making a mobile version to compete with the K40.