Thread: FSB10616A XTS5000/2500/1500 & XTL5000/2500/1500 with Host R17.00.00 resets randomly but consistently

Thanks
    Thanked 5,774 Times in 1,707 Posts

Default FSB10616A XTS5000/2500/1500 & XTL5000/2500/1500 with Host R17.00.00 resets randomly but consistently

SUBJECT: XTS5000/2500/1500 & XTL5000/2500/1500 with Host R17.00.00 resets randomly but consistently

MODEL / SYSTEM AFFECTED: All XTS5000/2500/1500 and XTL5000/2500/1500 radios, all bands using Host firmware R17.00.00

SYMPTOM: Receiving subscriber units containing firmware release R17.00.00 used in APCO P25 Trunked systems may exhibit a reset at the conclusion of a call.

Note 1: This only occurs in some P25 systems and DOES NOT occur in 3600 systems or Conventional applications.

CAUSE: Firmware defect

RESOLUTION: Update radio with Host R17.00.02 firmware.

Three options are available to obtain the R17.00.02 firmware:

Option 1: This firmware is available on Motorola OnLine, MOL, (at the following location: Resource Center>Software>Two-Way>ASTRO 25 Family Portables and Mobiles...XTS/XTL Firmware Update). Requires a Refresh (FLASHport) Kit/CD. If no Refresh Kit available, must use option 2 or 3.

Option 2: Submit a Software Refresher Form to the System Support Center (SSC) to obtain a FLASHport refresh of the software.

Option 3: Contact the System Support Center Post Sales Technical Support team at 1-800-927-2744, then select options 3 – 3 -1 to request that a refresher form be emailed.

Option 4: Download from P25.ca Forum (LOL)

Note 3: All three of the above options provide the R17.00.02 or later firmware at no cost.

SEVERITY RECOMMENDATION: High - Perform Immediately

PARTS REQUIRED (HARDWARE/SOFTWARE): CPS R17.00.00 or later, Host R17.00.02 or later firmware

LABOR ALLOWANCE: This is an informational bulletin. No labor warranty is implied, intended or authorized
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks

Took the Option 2 approach by filing out and e-mailing the form. Mine arrived today via FedEx. That's excellent service from Motorola.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by squeaky View Post
    Took the Option 2 approach by filing out and e-mailing the form. Mine arrived today via FedEx. That's excellent service from Motorola.
    Motorola is refusing to send me an update because I am not the original owner. How does that make any sense? Their stupid engineers screw up and release firmware that causes lives to be put in jeopardy. They refuse to fix the problem their firmware caused because I didn't originally purchase the radio. I am not asking for warranty work, I am asking that you upgrade your faulty firmware you released. Why should I have to pay for firmware that broke my radio? It worked fine until I loaded your defective firmware!

That mentality is no different than Ford issuing a recall because the gas tank could blow up, but refuse to fix their mistake because the original owner sold the car and I bought it from him. Motorola needs to wake up and stop charging people money to fix their mistakes.

I cannot think of any company that charges customers money to fix deficiencies in the product caused by improper engineering and beta testing. I get firmware updates once a month for my PS3, I still get updates for Windows XP, my motherboard manufacturer has never once charged me to upgrade my BIOS. Why does Motorola have to bleed every last penny out of their customers? They don't care about their customers, that's why. They make millions of dollars a year doing this to government users and who foots the bill? The taxpayers. Motorola can go to hell for all I care.

Thanks

I put in an order for 5 flashes, for a customer who brought rebanding units in late and we used the R17 cvn instead of the original r12 one. They are demanding proof of how these radios got r17 in them.

Thanks

Motorola better change their attitude real fast.

I have no problem with recommending the release of some CPS tweaks which will bypass the requirement for an iButton, during a firmware update. It's already been demonstrated that:

-They do not charge for firmware updates in the APX series; this tier is nearly identical to the ASTRO25 line;
    - No charge for Waris updates
    - Moto provides firmware for ASTRO25 line at NO CHARGE (see FSB for R17.00.00)

They'd have a VERY tough time illustrating loss-of-revenue for firmware updates, especially when they're demanding money to correct a defect which did not exist previously, which they now introduced.

Example: You purchase a radio with firmware R12.00.18. It works fine. You update to R17.00.00, and now your radio no longer works. Motorola says "No problem, we'll sell you an update for R17.00.02, to get you working again."

It doesn't work like that, Motorola. You don't get to take functionality away, after a customer has paid you -- be it directly, or indirectly, for your product.

Stay tuned. iButtonless firmware update mod coming soon.

Thanks

I had sent in a XTS5000 for depot repair (flat rate) for a dead unit, they did it all, new vocon, new RF, new case housing, new chassis, radio came back virtually new,with one cavet, it had FW R17, so I fill out the form submit it to them, ask for 1 refresh, they send me a overnight with a button with 3 refreshes and the CD for it, can't beat that. Of course I sent in with the refresh form and the work order complete form thats on line for the radio from the depot. It seems to me it's all a matter who reviews the case.

Thanks

Yeah mine was submitted via email.

Thanks

If you buy a product from someone, then there may be an implied warranty of fitness for purpose under the Uniform Commercial Code. In that case, the seller should fix the problem at no charge if the product turns out to be defective. If the seller refuses to fix the product at no charge, then you may have a claim for breach of contract.

Now, if you didn't buy the product, you may not have any recourse.

(So, I'm told)...

Thanks

So I never answered their email requesting more info and the flashes showed up today anyways.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    So I never answered their email requesting more info and the flashes showed up today anyways.
    Congratulations!

Thanks

So I will wait if moderation will allow me to choose option 4 :-)

Interesting that only one of my two absolutely identical (quite old) XTS5000 radios resets sometimes, the other one just works fine.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dk5ras View Post
    So I will wait if moderation will allow me to choose option 4 :-)

Interesting that only one of my two absolutely identical (quite old) XTS5000 radios resets sometimes, the other one just works fine.
    Not sure what you mean by moderation for option 4?

Thanks

Aah, I see When clicking the download link the system told me that this is not possible, any maybe my account still is not validated, or smth. like that. Thank you for telling me how it works!

Ralph.