Thread: Astro 45 watt spectra conversion to 110 watt can it be done.

N0PBM No Longer Registered

Default Astro 45 watt spectra conversion to 110 watt can it be done.

I have an Astro Spectra 45 watt VHF deck that i pulled out of a died consoletta. The radio works 100% i would like to convert an old A9 spectra to a W9 Astro Spectra using the 45 watt radio i have as a parts radio. Can this be done or i'm i wasting my time?

Thanks
    Gary N0PBM

Thanks

You can install the Astro Spectra guts into the donor PA from the analog spectra no problem. Two things to consider. You will have to tune the radios output power with the new PA so that it falls within spec, and the interconnect board may not have all the functionality you require. If the analog spectra was not secure, you will not be able to keyload, and if it was secure, you can keyload it, but you will not be able to flash upgrade the radio using the keyload port.

Default Re: Astro 45 watt spectra conversion to 110 watt can it be done.

I make have screwed up I bought a HCN1121D of eBay cheap. Like $0.99 cheap figured I could make it works as the front control head. But it is giving a swore beep and no display. I replaced the VFD display with a new one I had on hand for an A9 spectra with no change. I also get no tx on the unit have not tried rx yet. I'm guessing the radio knows its the wrong head I.e. the rear control head any thoughts or advise. Oh and if someone on here sold it to me that's fine the housing alone is worth what I paid for it.

Gary N0BPM

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

I did a rx test on the radio and found that it did rx however the volume was very low and i had no control of the volume. Also with the power pulled to the radio i did final get the display to light with FL 01/90 the expected error code. SO i know that the VFD works.

Gary N0PBM

did the conversation and it works 100% Now i would like to find a top cover that says ASTRO SPECTRA to replace the one that says SPECTRA. If you have one you would like to part with please let me know.

Thanks

There is no "ASTRO" top cover for the high power spectra. The ASTRO spectra uses the same top cover as the analog one.

Well hell an old dog can learn new tricks. I didn't know that. Cool thanks for the info.

Gary

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2