Thread: Astro Spectra Control Heads Front Vers Rear

N0PBM No Longer Registered

Default Astro Spectra Control Heads Front Vers Rear

I bought a HCN1121D of eBay cheap. Figured I could make it works as the front control head. But it is giving a swore beep and no display. I replaced the VFD display with a new one I had on hand for an A9 spectra with no change. I also get no tx on the unit, I have tried rx and i do get low level rx audio in the spectra but no volume control. I'm guessing the radio knows its the wrong head i.e. the rear control head any thoughts. With the rf deck not powered (no B+) i get FL 01/90 so the display is actually working.

So i guess my question is can i make this control head work as the front head? If so what do i have to do to make this happen??

Gary N0BPM

Thanks

It is not possible to convert a W9 rear head to a W9 front head. The rear address of the control head is hard coded in the microprocessor.

N0PBM No Longer Registered

Default Re: Astro Spectra Control Heads Front Vers Rear

Ok that answers that question then. Oh well I now have a very nice housing to wrap around an old A9 head and the right Elton to put in it.

Gary N0PBM

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by code352 View Post
    It is not possible to convert a W9 rear head to a W9 front head. The rear address of the control head is hard coded in the microprocessor.
    Why couldn't you just change the processor out and use one from an old A-9, then update the eeprom to an Astro? I don't see it any worse than changing out a display. Mind you I havn't tried it yet, but I am sure there are a lot of old 71A Spectra heads out there for parts .I recently took 2 NOS 71A heads and upgraded them to Astro 78J, they work just fine. On the same subject I wonder if the eeprom is the same for front and read.

Thanks

Here is a cut and paste of some info from this site. This is in regards to x9000 stuff, but I think you could install w9 front head firmware and it would work.

http://www.onfreq.com/syntorx/syntorx9k/controlx9.html

HCN1121 - Firmware in U0007 is not HVN4026A (does not not work / does not not program)
    If you replace the U0007 firmware with HVN4026A and reset the EEPROM it will
    work and program. This is normally an Astro Digital Spectra W9 control head.
    If you also reset the EEPROM as a normal front control head and remove the power
    switch block it can be used as a front control head.