Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Otto Speaker Mic's instead Of Motorola Commanders

meadowcst No Longer Registered

Default Otto Speaker Mic's instead Of Motorola Commanders

I was wondering if anyone has experiance with any OTTO products .. I have heard good things and they seem inovative ... They are on par with price dependant on Model and some have some interesting features like led lights built in and a large center ptt for use with gloves .. what do you all think ? http://www.ottoexcellence.com/shop-b...r-microphones/ Thanks !

Thanks

Motorola makes some excellent "Impres" noise cancelling microphones. They look to be about the same price as otto mics. I would not get an aftermarket mic if the OEM microphones are the same price.

I don't know about the Otto mics, but I have used earhugger microphones and they are junk. Frayed cords, blown speakers, unprotected mic elements getting dust and other junk in them.

Thanks

Otto makes a lot of OEM's speaker mic's for them. They are the only non-Moto mic I would use.

Our FD Had so many issues they switched to OTTO Mic's. But fo rhte more expensive models They can get up in the 250 dollar range. Ill prob stick with a commander Mic

Thanks

I like the Stone Mountain speaker mic http://stonemountainltd.com if I'm not going with an OEM Motorola mic.

Thanks

I had and Otto with the Jedi/XTS style connector. I thought it felt cheap compared to my OEM motorola. The nice thing is it had the High/low volume switch on the front. I sold it with my EFJ51SL as they use them as OEM with their name on it.

I had Never heard of Stone Mountain .. Look pretty deecent !!

Does Any one know of any other mic's than the Commander that has the two programable buttons on the side?? On ours one is used to dial up to a communications center.. I guess that would be the biggest perk of the Commander if none of the other guys have them!
    Last edited by meadowcst; Jan 05, 2013 at 02:13 AM.

Thanks

I'm not a big fan of the Otto mics; maybe its the ones one county here has for SAR, but they all reduce audio down to sounding like they are wearing gas masks.

Thanks

I had a really bad experience with OTTO speaker microphones several years ago where I had a 100 percent failure rate twices on two different models, Jedi's and XTS's. The only nice thing about them is that the public safety speaker microphones actually have 2 watts of RF coming out of the antenna jack on the mic head where the Motorolas have no power. They were a huge improvement for coverage area over the Motorolas but since the problems I will never buy another OTTO mic again.

e911 No Longer Registered

Quote Originally Posted by meadowcst View Post
    I was wondering if anyone has experiance with any OTTO products .. I have heard good things and they seem inovative ... They are on par with price dependant on Model and some have some interesting features like led lights built in and a large center ptt for use with gloves .. what do you all think ? http://www.ottoexcellence.com/shop-b...r-microphones/ Thanks !

I know this may be an old post however I figured I'd offer some insight. We currently use Otto mics and they are awful. It's so bad that most of our fire departments have dumped them and went with Stone Mountain Mic's, and there is a very clear difference between which mic is used. Stone Mountain makes mic's for fire fighting as well as regular police users. We have also found that the stone mountains, while slightly more expensive than Otto's they are actually field fixable (if you have someone tech savvy enough to do it, its fairly easy) whereas Ottos are not.

Good luck in your search and usage.

Regards

Alpha is offline T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,371 Times in 677 Posts

I worked at a radio shop for a few years and we also sold the Otto stuff. They were not that bad overall quality-wise, but you definitely raise an excellent point about repairs - their high-end Intrinsically Safe PSM was GLUED TOGETHER. Honest to God, sealed with hot glue. Needless to say that made them completely unfixable. They had a non IS model that was basically the same (but no glue), and those were repairable, but the most expensive, IS ones were not at all. Pretty crappy when you have to throw away an $80.00 mic due to a simple blown or dust-encrusted speaker.

Thanks

I personally very much like the TAPaulk mics, they give excellent audio and the price is O.K.

http://www.ebay.ch/itm/TAPaulk-Pro-S...item2ec343d70a

Xstqxrvax No Longer Registered

I would stay away from the otto mics. The commander 2 is a great microphone.

jlamanske No Longer Registered

Does the Commander 2 channel selector work with all XTS's?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jlamanske;****2
    Does the Commander 2 channel selector work with all XTS's?
    No just the XTS3000's and XTS5000's.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,488 Times in 646 Posts

I would not recommend Stone Mountain mics at all. We (fire service) had ongoing issues with loss of PTT, loss of speaker audio, and internal breaks in the cord near the radio connector strain relief. Also they don't like getting wet. It became almost a guarantee that at least one would fail on every working structure fire.

I've used an Otto mic on a Harris P7100. They DO hold up, unfortunately they also have the same rubber rot/outgassing problem as old Saber mics.

edit: I should also add that the Stone Mountain mics were used with Kenwood TK-390s (which were equally junk.) Maybe the mics they make for Motorola radios hold up better?

Thanks

Another issue with OTTO mics is they do not fit XTS2500's with the mic clip adapter. You have to ditch the mic clip adapter for them to fit.

Thanks

Doesn't Otto make mikes for EFJ??
    I'm the guy standing in background shaking his head when people show a complete lack of common sense....

"The very nature of public safety work causes Charles Darwin to spin in his grave."

The PSM's for our EFJ 51SL's are Otto, have the EFJ logo on them. Oddly enough they have a coiled section, which I always thought wasn't conducive to RF conduction.

CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks

They just run a tiny flexible co-ax up the coil cord, RF doesn't care once in a shielded transmission line how it's routed...

That makes sense, I was thinking of unshielded conductors.

EOTechHWS No Longer Registered

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    I worked at a radio shop for a few years and we also sold the Otto stuff. They were not that bad overall quality-wise, but you definitely raise an excellent point about repairs - their high-end Intrinsically Safe PSM was GLUED TOGETHER. Honest to God, sealed with hot glue. Needless to say that made them completely unfixable. They had a non IS model that was basically the same (but no glue), and those were repairable, but the most expensive, IS ones were not at all. Pretty crappy when you have to throw away an $80.00 mic due to a simple blown or dust-encrusted speaker.
    I would of never known about glue being used in their public safety mics. The public safety agency I'm with uses Otto mics. Fortunately for me I still use a Motorola mic that some guys would rather have.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by P25dood View Post
    No just the XTS3000's and XTS5000's.
    It worked with my XTS3500 also

CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EOTechHWS View Post
    I would of never known about glue being used in their public safety mics. The public safety agency I'm with uses Otto mics. Fortunately for me I still use a Motorola mic that some guys would rather have.
    Yeah, every time I think of them I'm reminded of 2001:

"Oh my God! It's Full of Glue!!"