Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Un-brick" an MCS2000?

N9WYS No Longer Registered

Default "Un-brick" an MCS2000?

Learned associates,

I have an MCS2000 Model III on 900 MHz that I inadvertently bricked. I was trying to write a new codeplug to the radio and my RIB went dead about half way through the process. I tried to "write without unpacking" but that hasn't resolved the issue. It's also currently set-up as a base rig on a sloped plastic mount - can I remove the base at the multi-pin connector on the bottom without an adverse effect to the operation of the rig? I assume I'll need another connector for an external mobile speaker later. (I know absolutely NOTHING about the MCS2000 at the moment.)

I'm a 900 MHz afficianado - I operate my owm repeater on 927.52500 in Joliet, IL - and this rig was earmarked for the wife's car. (I have SPectras in my other cars.) Can anyone hekp me "un-brick" this rig and get it ready for use?

Many thanks,
    Mark - N9WYS

Thanks
    Thanked 6,304 Times in 1,799 Posts

It might need to be hardware-fixed if the radio is not responding to lab writes. That would involve removal of the 32K EERPOM and a clean image being put back in there. Can be done. But what, if any, errors are showing up on the radio display? Does it do anything on powerup?

Well, when I first had this issue, it would boot up and read FAIL 001... I just powered it up today and it now reads FAIL 01/82. (It's probably been sitting on the bench for over 6 months.) Can't try to read/write at the moment because my daughter has my car with my programming RIB/equipment in the trunk. If someone has a known-good 900 MHz codeplug, maybe I could try to force that into the radio and wake it up?

Thanks, Mark - N9WYS

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by N9WYS View Post
    Well, when I first had this issue, it would boot up and read FAIL 001...
    From our friends over at Batlabs.com: FAIL001 is out-of-lock. Bad frequency? Wrong s-record jammed in there?

I just powered it up today and it now reads FAIL 01/82. (It's probably been sitting on the bench for over 6 months.)
    This is bad, and good. Bad because you've got a checksum error in the codeplug, but good because you can use MTSX Labtool R03.00.02 to put a valid/working s-record back in there and revive it. It's not completely bricked/unresponsive in this state.

Can't try to read/write at the moment because my daughter has my car with my programming RIB/equipment in the trunk. If someone has a known-good 900 MHz codeplug, maybe I could try to force that into the radio and wake it up?
    Text her to come home. Radio is more important today!

Your proposed solution will work. You'll want to retune the radio afterwards, as the tuning values will be nuked.

Well, I just tried to read the codeplug I had from this radio with the LABTool... Got a "Codeplug too new" error.

ARRRGH!!!!

Latest update:

I am in need of a clean codeplug for a 900 MHz MCS2000 Type III. Mine is corrupt (FAIL 01/82) and I’m not sure whether I can clean it up.

I bricked this rig once before but, for some reason, it has come out of FAIL 001 and looks like I might be able to do something with it.

I have MTSX LABTool R03.00.02 but I’m getting the “Codeplug Too New” error when I try to read it with the LABTool…

So where do I go from here?

Well, since yesterday here's what has transpired:
    I have acquired the CPS (VR02.02.00) to read/write the radio, but it doesn't appear to be LAB software.

I have tried unsuccessfully several times to read and/or write the radio. When I read the radio, it fails with the following error messages:
    Block checksum failed for Radio Wide block
    Continue Unpack Anyway?
    (YES / NO) Chose YES

No User function provided to convert Block Type to Block ID with Block for Type 0
    Unpack failed.

Radio powers down. When I power it back up, it comes up FAIL 01/82. "BOOP"

Here is what happens when I try to write the codeplug back to it (Yes, I did save it before the "write" that bricked the radio...)
    When I try to write it to the radio, here is what happens:
    1 - the radio is on, displaying FAIL 01/82
    2 - the RIB starts flashing, showing data being sent
    3 - after about 9 seconds, the radio shuts off - and DOES NOT reboot.
    4 - I get NO INDICATION from the CPS that it has finished programming - it just sits there.

When I power the radio back up, I still get FAIL 01/82....

If I try using Clone Wizard, I get through step 2 and then I get a failure error:
    "Radio and Codeplug feature set are different Cloning cannot continue"

If I try Clone Express, I get the following in the Status Window:
    ++++++++++++++++++++BEGIN++++++++++++++++++++
    Serial Number 722AYN0714
    +++
    Cloning Radio Failed.
    +++++++++++++++++++++END+++++++++++++++++++++

I'm wondering if there is a way to "initialize" the radio....

Suggestions? If I thought a BFH would work, I'd get one out about now...

Mark - N9WYS

Thanks

You just need a DOS-based codeplug which can be read in (but not unpacked) with Labtool R03.00.02, then you can use the read/write with no PACK/UNPACK menu and jam it in there. It'll fix it.

A retune will be required afterwards.

If you want to whore your radio (or add options that you're missing once you find a donor codeplug) it's as simple as hexing the s-record.

I'd help you if I could, but I don't have an s-record for you. At least I don't think I do. I'll look around.

Thanks

OK, I found one that will work. This is a M01WJN4PW6AN, which appears to be a model III.

You'll need to retune.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I'm still at a loss - or maybe just a little dense - in regard to what I need to do. All the codepluigs I have are "too new" to open with the DOS LABTool R03.00.02. I saved the S-rec for later - I'd just like to resurect this as-is first, then I can play with added options later... Looks like I'm close, but no cigar yet.

Can we maybe take this offline somehow so I can elaborate and not bore others who know more than I?
    n9wys <(at)> ameritech <(dot)> net

Thanks

Run Labtool.

Go to F6 menu, to load the s-record. Type in the name (it must be in same directory as Labtool). Hit whatever key loads it in (F4 I think?)

F10 out of there (go back a menu)

Now go to F4 read/write with no pack/unpack.

F8 the bitch in there. Done.

You'll have to familiarize yourself with the software. I don't mean to sound like a ****, but I don't do personal support via email. Did that for more than 10 years. I just have nothing left anymore. I wrote a whole guide on ASTRO Radios (60+ pages) and that was the last few drops of blood I had left.

OK - I'll make it work somehow. And I understand completely about running the tank dry...

Thanks for the help! I'll let you know how this works.

Astro Spectra is offline T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks

Just follow Mar's instructions exactly. Almost every code plug you'll see will be too new for the tool you have but that's not an issue. You're not asking the tool to understand the CP, instead all you want it to do is just download the CP as-is to the radio.

Mars,

OK. I load the SREC, and all goes well. I go back to Read/Write with No Pack/Unpack. Starts but then I get:
    WARNING: Communication with radio failed.
    >REQUEST NOT ACKed/NAKed ERROR<
    Retry Last Command Again
    F2 - Retry F10 - Cancel

I choose F2 - RETRY. Radio reboots but I get the following error:

Warning; Communication With Radio Failed
    >CHEKSUM ERROR<

Retry Last Command Again

F2 - Retry F10 - CANCEL

I retry. Now we bounbce back and forth between these two error messages. It did writre upt ot arounbd 4 blocks, but now seems to be stuck at 2....

Program looks like it writes abuot 2 blocks of data per attempt and radio reboots every time.

????????????

Thanks

If you are not able to write a srecord in, I would check all my programming hardware. What kind of RIB are you using?

Polaris Type -II. Never had any issues with other radios (many different Moptorola models) with this RIB. Cable is a KawaMall cable - again, never had any issues with other cables from them.

Thanks

Are you running MS-DOS mode?

You CANNOT run this in a command window from Windows XP or Windows 7.

Yes - setup to reboot into DOS at launch of program.

The machine it's on is a Win98 box, anyway... but the program still runs in DOS only.

Thanks

How are you powering your RIB? Battery or power supply?

- If battery, is it low? Try changing it.
    - If power supply, ensure there's no ground loop.

Is the ignition line connected to the radio?

Is the emergency jumper installed? If not, install it or jumper the pins to enable it. It's a normally closed contact. If open, it causes erratic operation such as rebooting.

When you say DOS, do you mean REAL DOS? Like, reboot computer, F8, select "Command Prompt/Mode"?

The "DOS window" within Win98 is not good enough. Just double checking.

RIB is powered with a wall wart. The battery died during a write command and caused this problem in the first place, so I take no chances now....

The radio is currently setup as a desktop, so I assume the ignition wire is either jumpered to A+ or ignition sense is disabled.

I'll have to check the emergency jumper - where is it situated and identified?

With regard to DOS mode, the computer shuts down and reboots into MS-DOS mode only (command prompt) and then immediately launches the program. (Small .BAT file) When the program closes, the computer reboots back into Windows 98. I understand about double-checking - not offended.

Thanks

Hard to troubleshoot when not actually there, but if it was up to me to guess, I'd say your wall wart is the problem. It's likely noise or causing a ground loop. Try a new battery. I never trust wall warts.

Go to batlabs.com for information on the jumper, or download the service manual from our forum.

If the manual is here on the forum, where would I find it?

Also, battery is not replaceable in the RIB I have - it is factory installed, and sealed (rechargable). Breaking the seal voids factory warranty on RIB, and they (Polaris) repaired it about 2 years ago for me - 9 years after purchase, and under warranty! In fact, it was a battery back then that was replaced. Battery isn't bad not - it can stay powered for several hours with out wall wart... it's just that sicne the last problem (I hadn't plugged the charger into the RIB for a while and let the battery run down- my fault, not the RIB's) so now I keep it plugged in whenever possible. I know there's a lot of discussion about aftermarket RIBs and their issues, but I have NEVER had a problem with this RIB that wasn't of my own creation.... so I'm leaning heavily toward it not being the RIB.

I think *I* effectively killed this radio and that is the main problem... Again, the issues started when I lost power to the RIB while it was writing to the radio. And that was my fauilt for not making sure the RIB battery was charged before I tried to program the radio.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by N9WYS View Post
    If the manual is here on the forum, where would I find it?
    We have a search engine and the forum is extremely well-organized.

Also, battery is not replaceable in the RIB I have - it is factory installed, and sealed (rechargable). Breaking the seal voids factory warranty on RIB, and they (Polaris) repaired it about 2 years ago for me - 9 years after purchase, and under warranty! In fact, it was a battery back then that was replaced. Battery isn't bad not - it can stay powered for several hours with out wall wart... it's just that sicne the last problem (I hadn't plugged the charger into the RIB for a while and let the battery run down- my fault, not the RIB's) so now I keep it plugged in whenever possible. I know there's a lot of discussion about aftermarket RIBs and their issues, but I have NEVER had a problem with this RIB that wasn't of my own creation.... so I'm leaning heavily toward it not being the RIB.
    OK. Some RIBs are garbage, and some aren't. I had a piece of crap RIB many years ago which didn't have the -bus line. It would not program Spectra radios. I use a SmartRIB and it seems to work pretty good.

I'm kind of getting a little blue in the face repeating myself when it comes to power supplies and ground loop issues. If you put noise on the data line, it really causes a mess. Your computer, radio and RIB are all using separate power supplies. As a ham, you probably know that's not a good thing.