Thread: NYFD Emergency Rx/Tx Tone Set

Thanks
    Thanked 6,304 Times in 1,799 Posts

Default NYFD Emergency Rx/Tx Tone Set

Anyone know what this flash option actually does? It's been bugging me for years. I've seen codeplugs with, and without this option, and there were no differences I could spot in menus or other areas that would indicate just what the heck this accomplishes.

Is it a different tone that sounds on a receiving radio, when someone hits their emergency button?

I thought this was a bogus whacker option in the ASTRO25 line, but it's now supported in the APX7000 at xxxxxx-xxxxx4-x. So it must be something.

Thanks

My understanding is that it adds a burst of Astro 25 data at the beginning of a regular analog transmission. It allows you longer unit IDs (8 digits?) on an analog voice channel.

**edit** Confused TPS with FDNY signalling. Never mind.

newtomotorola No Longer Registered

I remember reading somewhere that it had something to do with the type of tone heard when an emergency message has been recieved, under Astro system - Emergency - Acknowledge Alert Tone, would have to test it out to confirm.

Thanks

From what I've been able to find:

"G857 - FDNY Emergency Rx/Tx Tone Set enables a tone signaling format called ATIS (Automatic Transmitter Identification System) which was used specifically by New York Fire Departments.
    This tone set sounds simular to MDC but the two systems are not compatible."
    Andrew

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bigfella237 For This Useful Post:

cadpattact (Dec 07, 2016)

Thanks

I would consider it a negative flash option then. In the sense that requires proprietary end-user software (in a chief's truck or whatever) to decode the packets.

I'd rather have standard signalling in my radio, than something like that.

List of negative flash options for both tiers:

- 2.5 KHz FCC mandate
    - NYFD Emergency Rx/Tx Tone Set
    - Advanced System Key Enable (ASK) in APX

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mars For This Useful Post:

Thanks

That info I found on some website via Google, I couldn't find anything on G857 in CPS help (which doesn't really surprise me).

I guess this would be easy to confirm if you have a radio with G857 optioned, just see if it will 'understand' MDC from another radio and vice versa?
    Andrew

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfella237 View Post
    From what I've been able to find:

"G857 - FDNY Emergency Rx/Tx Tone Set enables a tone signaling format called ATIS (Automatic Transmitter Identification System) which was used specifically by New York Fire Departments.
    This tone set sounds simular to MDC but the two systems are not compatible."
    This is correct. My XTS2500 is flashed for this feature. G857 also does not appear to prevent any of the other signalling systems or formats in the radio from performing properly. I have mine decoding MDC1200 and Astro IDs flawlessly.

Thanks

Fdny uses the tps for id's
    The tone set should be the sound of the beacon. Have radios with it and the work just like fdny. Radios without it make a another sound when you hit the orange button.

Thanks

Any audio clips of the differences?

Thanks

Late late reply...

The FDNY tone set option changes the way the user hears an emergency datapacket. I really forget what it sounds like, but I think with recent ASTRO25 and APX firmware its the same/simlar to the high/low tone that these radios now emit. Also the option enables a DOS style chirp.

FDNY uses TPS on the fireground (UHF-T) radios. Each radio is assigned an ID based on the company and the riding position. For instance 2240001 could be Ladder 24, officer. 2240002 hookman, etc. I believe its unit type, company number, division, etc. I have the chart somewhere in my truck. IIRC, the Command Tactical Unit has the software that will display the radio ID's and is interfaced to the shift roster so that if Lt Smith came on shift, it would display all of that (or its slated to do that at some point - I can verify).

FDNY does use MDC1200 post-ID on the VHF dispatch channels. If you listen closely, you can hear both on the first link. On the second link you can hear all the TPS. I don't think there was ever an emergency button activation with the maydays.

So its not a negative option, just one that no one will really use or need. Just changes the chrips mostly on the emergency function.

I am considering using TPS countywide with the new template in development on our simplex fireground channels, but I need to finish up some testing. I am looking at doing a similar numbering scheme that FDNY uses. I just need to verify that TPS will sound similar audio on receiving an emergency trigger that current MDC does with the current firmware (high/low alarm).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5GV1Manv_8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0O68VS3Axw

13. The Following User Says Thank You to PJH For This Useful Post:

Thanks

That NYFD dispatcher is amazing. I wish our dispatchers here were permitted to take as much control of an incident/coordination. This guy is worth double his current salary.

Thanks

Tps gives us a few options.
    7 digit Id. Uses old bell codes ladder 24 would be 7024 7 for ladder 024 unit and 001 for boss
    When you push the orange button you get 5 watts instead of 2.
    Your radio acts as a pass alarm
    All other radios get an alert at full volume that someone hit the mayday button.

In all the chief vehicles the MDT will display riding position and name of member who has the radio as well as print a hard copy.

As far as using tps in other departments.
    You can use display cable radios to see ids
    The alert tones tell operating units to quite down and listen or do something.
    The pass alarm feature isn't bad. Most people change the radio battery every tour and the scba battery when it goes dead.

As far as the flashcode option , it sounds different then the standard tones.