Thread: XTS3000 Software or Rib box

kb9moe No Longer Registered

Default XTS3000 Software or Rib box

Is there a way to test the rib box used to program a xts 3000? I have CPS R5.00 and known good serial port. I have pinned out all the cables and I still have no luck. Am I at least in the right direction? Thanks in advance.

Thanks

What error are you getting?

"Communication with radio failed"

Thanks

Windows XP SP3, and I also tried on a Win7 machine. I get the same result either way. That is why I question either the rib box which I have 2, or the software. I have 5 radios.

Will No Longer Registered

I found some problems with the Motorola RIB. Mainly a severe mis match to the RS232 standard. I did some simple changes in the RIB back in 93.

One of the problems is a lack of negative voltage swing on the Busy out and RX (data out) lines back to the computer. You might want to try and change the value of R14 to 1.5k and R11 to 1K.

Modifications made to some of the values to make the circuit more compatible with RS232. The modified schematic can be found here.

http://www.batlabs.com/images/rib_mod.jpg

Any questions, just email......
    Glad to help.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,299 Times in 1,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    One of the problems is a lack of negative voltage swing on the Busy out and RX (data out) lines back to the computer.
    That explains why older, crap, cheap eBay RIBs do not program the Spectra, which requires the negative bus line.

Will No Longer Registered

EXACTLY...

MOD, you can post the two images to the file section here, it can help others.

I am even working on a schematic drawing of the modification for the RIB that gets rid of the timing issue of the BUSS+ and BUSS- signals. The mod has been tested for a while now with good results.

Glad to help,