Thread: PT and PX series?

W5CEM No Longer Registered

Default PT and PX series?

Can we count the LUNCHBOX in vintage radios? At one time I had half a dozen on my bookshelf as a kid. For monitoring local FD and PD, as well as the Highway Patrol and a two meter repeater. Sure wish I had pictures from back then???

I see them still in the backroom of rural FD stations...but they look to ragged to attempt a refurb...

Thanks

Still have a half dozen I use on GMRS and T-band. Other than the 20 "D" cells required, I really like them as a portable base. Oh I just remembered I have a couple of the HT-10(Handicom) series ones on RR channels.

Thanks

I have a railroad PT500 here that I turn on to monitor their comms every now and then... great receiver and great audio. I also have a couple of Saber lunchboxes that are equally nice.

I've always wanted to restore a PX300 to working condition but that is an expensive project with little return on the investment.

Thanks

I actually, back when I was young and had time convert a PT to a PX by installing MX-s board in one. Also did the same to the suitcase repeaters, built 3 of them one VHF, Low UHF and Hi UHF.

motnm No Longer Registered

I have a UHF px that is on local ham frequencies I use from time to time.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NSPD View Post
    I also have a couple of Saber lunchboxes that are equally nice.
    Define "Saber lunchbox".

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by okto View Post
    Define "Saber lunchbox".
    Just what it sounds like... A lunchbox with a Systems Saber inside of it. SP for the USSS and a few other agencies. There is also an Astro Saber version and probably an XTS version.

Alpha is offline T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,362 Times in 671 Posts

They were called Saber-X or Astro-X units, here's a quick ref card on the Astro Saber version:

http://communications.support/attach...1&d=1329170205

Thanks

Oh man do I ever want one of those.

CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks

Think of it as a portable SVA / AVA, more or less. It uses the same control arm to contact the radio, and uses the upper half (no battery) of a Saber/Astro Saber inside, complete. The radio is unmodified and removable. Unfortunately I have never seen a UHF model, they may have only been made in VHF like a lot of the government SP stuff.

Internally it has a 12W RF PA for more power out, and uses at least a 1W audio amp. You can also run the SVA style LCD display mic on the Saber version (not sure about the Astro version). They made a special version of the display mic with a round connector for the lunchbox instead of the usual RJ-45 that's on them for SVA use.

Thanks

Have they been surplused like the encrypted MT500's, or are they still in service? Given that interoperability isn't a priority for USSS, I'd imagine they don't need to upgrade constantly.

CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks

Yes, I think so, at least the Saber-X units are. I have never seen an Astro-X in person, they may still be in service. Even if they are available on the surplus market they are quite rare, as collectors tend to pay good $$ for them when they show up.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Yes, I think so, at least the Saber-X units are. I have never seen an Astro-X in person, they may still be in service. Even if they are available on the surplus market they are quite rare, as collectors tend to pay good $$ for them when they show up.
    An Astro-X popped up on eBay about a year ago and went for around $600 if I recall correctly.

I am told that these were mainly used as makeshift mobile radios in local law enforcement vehicles as part of a motorcade. I used one in my work vehicle with a mag-mount antenna and it was great for that. I sold one of mine about a year ago, and I kept one that came to me marked "HMX-1 Cage Avionics Sierra Radio".

Thanks

Dang collectors. They ruin everything.