Thread: Ever wondered what the MOTOTRBO DIN mount looks like?

syntrx No Longer Registered

Default Ever wondered what the MOTOTRBO DIN mount looks like?

XPR5550 Install 3.jpgXPR5550 Install 1.jpgXPR5550 Install 2.jpgXPR5550 Install 4.jpg

For future reference, just in case someone comes along wondering what a MOTOTRBO radio looks like installed in the DIN kit, and in particular wants to see how far it protrudes from the dash when it's actually installed.

This is a VHF XPR5550 in my Holden Colorado crew cab. GM are cheap bastards and don't actually provide a proper DIN sleeve to install the DIN kit into -- just a pair of angled brackets with screw holes roughly in the right position for most stereos, which are about 8mm too wide on each side to make contact with the sides of the radio and don't otherwise make contact with the actual DIN mount hardware at any point.

Some new screw holes and a bit of neoprene rubber adhesive tape to pad out the space worked well (I need to get inside the dash again shortly so I will post pics of what I did there); the radio is not going anywhere. The last pic is washed out due to light coming in through the windscreen.
    Last edited by syntrx; Jan 14, 2013 at 06:28 AM.

Thanks

Your car is weird. The steering wheel is on the wrong side.

Thanks

Ah... no, the steering wheel is on the "right" side!
    Andrew

Thanks

Certainly a nice looking install (despite the steering wheel issue). Thanks for sharing!

Thanks

I bet you wish those HMN4079 mics had blue back-lighting though... I know the LEDs are multi-colour (so long as one of the colours you want is either green, orange or red) but I wonder if they could be swapped out for blue?

It would be a nice mod and really finish off the install.
    Andrew

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfella237 View Post
    I bet you wish those HMN4079 mics had blue back-lighting though... I know the LEDs are multi-colour (so long as one of the colours you want is either green, orange or red) but I wonder if they could be swapped out for blue?

It would be a nice mod and really finish off the install.
    Blue LEDs? Are you on crack? Whoever invented the blue LED needs shot in the kneecaps. Blue LEDs activate the cones in your eyes, destroying your night vision sensitivity and have been linked to loss of sleep in adults.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25920811/

I hate everything with blue LEDs and almost always stick electrical tape on them or change them out completely. Blue LEDs suck!

I hate blue LEDs too. It was hard to find a stereo with the features I wanted that didn't have them.

The mic backlight brightness varies with that of the display. When you jack it up to max, the mic LEDs go red for some reason. It's pretty cool.

Astro Spectra is offline T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks

Here what the DIN kit looks like as received from Moto:
    MT din.jpg

@Bigfella237 how's that XPR5550 working out for you?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Astro Spectra View Post
    ~ @Bigfella237 how's that XPR5550 working out for you?
    Not me, I think you're after syntrx?
    Andrew

CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks

you are so right

Superb piece of kit. Great tx and rx audio, it doesn't get especially warm even at full power and the receiver seems pretty hot.

The display has rather low resolution, but it's bright and easy to read at any angle so it's fine for the purposes it is intended. I haven't played with Bluetooth audio, but you can program it via Bluetooth for free, and also run data applications over the radio network using the radio as a Bluetooth access point if you buy a $50 license key.

The T9 predictive text entry is a really nice touch also. It makes TMS useful.

The only thing I can fault is Motorola's idiocy regarding forcing wideband even on the amateur bands, but I won't go there
    Last edited by syntrx; Jan 14, 2013 at 05:44 PM.

Thanks

I didn't even realize /\/\ made DIN kits. Good to know! What's your antenna setup?

CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks

@syntrx - thanks.

Maxrad GPSPSM combination GPS antenna and NMO mount in the middle of the roof, with a Laird NMOWB150B wideband 1/2-wave.

I'm temporarily using a mag mount with a cheap 1/4 wave on it. It unexpectedly started raining while I was doing the install, and because I needed to drive somewhere later that afternoon I had to put the truck back together before finishing the job.

Thanks

Cool, thanks. I always enjoy busting out the hole saw!

Hole saw and a 5mm drill bit in this case!

The mount has a 3/4" hole as well as a smaller hole an inch behind it for a lug to stop the mount from moving side to side.

Makes it a bit harder to patch up the hole after I'm finished with the vehicle, but I figured I'd just put a UHF whip on the mount, put the factory pocket back into the dash and say the antenna was for (ultra common) UHF CB. As long as there's no visible holes, the buyer isn't likely to give a damn.