Thread: How many talkgroups should a XTS 2500 Model III be able hold?

Thanks

Default How many talkgroups should a XTS 2500 Model III be able hold?

How many talkgroups should an older XTS 2500 Model III 800 mhz be able hold? I know the new ones around 850. I've got one that 5 plus years old and I'm wondering how close it is to being maxed out. it old enough that it does 800 mhz only and not 700 mhz. Does the serial and/or number give a clue to how big the memory is?
    I'm the guy standing in background shaking his head when people show a complete lack of common sense....

"The very nature of public safety work causes Charles Darwin to spin in his grave."

Thanks

Putting it into service mode tells you how big the flash rom is.

Thanks

Can that be done through the keypad? Or do I need to hook it up to read it?
    I'm the guy standing in background shaking his head when people show a complete lack of common sense....

"The very nature of public safety work causes Charles Darwin to spin in his grave."

Thanks

Turn the radio on, and press the bottom side button 5 times.

Thanks

4 MEG, what would that roughly equate to?

Thanks

The CPS should report it as well - radio wide -> general -> maximum channels (talkgroups).

Thanks

I wonder if your XTS2500 is actually an XTS2500RB, which were made available as replacements during the rebanding process. They are limited to 255 talkgroups, analog only, 3600 trunking and 800mhz.

http://www.motorola.com/web/Business...og%20Sheet.pdf

Thanks
    Thanked 6,323 Times in 1,804 Posts

Default How many talkgroups should a XTS 2500 Model III be able hold?

If it's a RB, it can be "fixed" to do 700/800 MHz operation.

The RB radios have a band split marker in the security partition restricting them to 800 MHz only.

Motorola was being cheap and impractical when they put out the RB radios with these limitations. Anything to **** the customer. Even petty stuff like this.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mars View Post
    Motorola was being cheap and impractical when they put out the RB radios with these limitations. Anything to **** the customer. Even petty stuff like this.
    That specific flashcode was driven by Sprint/NEXTEL, the FCC, and the Transition Administrator. Motorola did not make the decision to limit the radio's capabilities and only gave the customer (NEXTEL) what they wanted.
    Motorola doesn't charge much to "open" the radio and when you factor in that the radio was free, a few hundred dollar flash is a drop in the bucket as compared to that the value of the radio new is.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,323 Times in 1,804 Posts

I should clarify myself so I don't sound so anti-Moto:

I understand the radios were supposed to be "as close as possible" replacements for radios not capable of rebanding. (firmware)

It just irks me to see a dual-band (a better term is wide-band) radio have 700 MHz blocked, "just because". A normal customer cannot order a 2500 with blocked 700 MHz coverage. It's so silly. I believe Moto did this as a future revenue generator, as there's a potential to "upgrade". But it's not much of an upgrade when all 2500s come with 700 MHz out-of-the-box.

My logic/rant/opinion doesn't apply to features such as IMBE/CAI, ASTRO25 Trunking, etc. I realize one must pay for this.

Thanks for the info.

Thanks

I doubt it's an RB. I bought it used almost 4 years from someone who had bought it used before that. Currently it has over 300 TGs from 4 different systems on it.

Thanks

If it only does 800 it should be a rebanding unit.

Thanks

I'm going to have the county radio system admin read it tonight. When it's in service mode, it reads "RF BAND 700/800".

Thanks

What is the Model #? An RB radio has a very specific model number. An RB Model III is H46UCH9PW2BN while a lifted Model III is reflashed as H46UCH9PW7BN.
    I think I still have an unflashed III in the office and I can check to see if the test mode show's 700/800. I don't remember.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mars View Post
    I should clarify myself so I don't sound so anti-Moto:

I understand the radios were supposed to be "as close as possible" replacements for radios not capable of rebanding. (firmware)

It just irks me to see a dual-band (a better term is wide-band) radio have 700 MHz blocked, "just because". A normal customer cannot order a 2500 with blocked 700 MHz coverage. It's so silly. I believe Moto did this as a future revenue generator, as there's a potential to "upgrade". But it's not much of an upgrade when all 2500s come with 700 MHz out-of-the-box.

My logic/rant/opinion doesn't apply to features such as IMBE/CAI, ASTRO25 Trunking, etc. I realize one must pay for this.

Thanks for the info.
    But when you are possibly replacing a 10+ year old radio with something that is brand new and has an identical feature set, most end users won't care.
    In addition they got all new batteries, shoulder mics, and other accessories and those that I deal with were more than happy to of replaced their analog Sabers with something that is smaller and brand new.

Is it a revenue generator for mother /\/\, absolutely it is. But they are hoping that will be a driving factor to buy a Motorola P25 system and just have Motorola flash-up the radio at a substancially reduced cost.
    For a number cruncher that weighs flashing existing radios at a few hundred each vs. buying all new $5,000 radios that could add up to being 50% of a new radio system procurement, I'm pretty sure they will go with the flash.