Thread: XTL5000 W7 Consolette Control Head swap

Thanks

Default XTL5000 W7 Consolette Control Head swap

Hi all,

I hope someone can shed some light on my situation.

The fire service I work for has an XTL5000 Consolette with a W7 control head. So, seeing as how you can change a W series control head into an O series control head, can the same thing be done for a consolette?

Fingers crossed!

Thanks !
    Last edited by p25smartzone; Jan 21, 2013 at 07:09 PM. Reason: Spelling error

vpd7503 No Longer Registered

Hello Sir,

Looking at the service manual I don't see any reason why you couldn't. The main thing is long as the head is sync with the brick, and the codeplug in the radio is configured for the correct model control head. Hope this helps... They're a bunch of really knowledgeable guys on here, I'm sure someone will jump in and elaborate further.

Thanks

With the consolette having a L instead of a M model number cps may not allow the head change.

vpd7503 No Longer Registered

Good point sir, I've never seen the codeplug info out of one of those...

Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    With the consolette having a L instead of a M model number cps may not allow the head change.

Thanks

There is an interface board in the consolete that connects to both DB-25's on the radio drawer inside the consolete. The control head on W7 configured consoles then connects via an interface cable down to the control board under the drawer. Because of this, the radio only supports the W7 or no control head (W9 in theory but provided by a RCH3000 via a remote cable). Pretty sure because of this if it's in the consolete it has to have a W series head and the older dual DB-25 interface. Now, I haven't seen the newer consoles to be sure though but the ones I've worked on were configured this way.
    Keith Dobbins N8KLD
    Mainframe Network Engineer/
    Managed File Transfer Engineer
    W8TAP Repeater Engineer
    Parkersburg, WV 26104

Thanks

Thanks a lot for all of your input guys. It is appreciated!

Too bad it's not possible.

Oh well, worth a shot!