Thread: Convert Astro Spectra Plus 800Mhz to VHF?

Thanks

Default Convert Astro Spectra Plus 800Mhz to VHF?

Is it possible to Convert an 800Mhz Astro Spectra Plus to VHF using Regular Spectra VHF guts. The Plus has or should I say had v.2 firmware in it till I tried to flash it to v.7 and she is bricked right now ,,,probably should not have used the latest version CPS to flash I am thinking that caused the bricking. Besides the brick job I did to it, is it possible hardware wise to convert to VHF from a working regular spectra. Just was trying to make a P25 conventional VHF mobile. I hope I am not starting a new post on this subject, did not see any other post's on this. Of course been a long day and a little tired so could of missed a post covering this subject. Any ideas on unbricking this radio, made it all the way thru the flash 20 out of 20 and but did not upgrade anything in the radio,,,weird....Thanks in advance guys.
    Radio Referenced...Those who think they know it all are very annoying to those of use who do.

Thanks

No it is not possible to convert the radios. The spectra line uses totally different logic boards and audio boards. You can convert a astro spectra (any band) to a astro spectra plus as long as the end result is a radio with a codeplug that matches the hardware.

The good thing is that some of the spectra hardware is compatable (VCO, RX and TX boards and PA sections). The control head and interconnect are not (A series and W series).

You will have to get your Vocon repaired before you can continue with astro plus work.

Thanks

Ok I brought the radio back to life, has version 6 now. I now have it showing VHF frequencies in CPS. But am getting Fail001 when transmit VCO unlock. I have read radio with tuner and is showing 800 frequencies. How do I get the Tuner to show VHF instead of 800mhz. So far what I have done is put a ASTRO Spectra PLUS 800Mhz vocon in an VHF spectra. Any ideas or is this a no go. Basically have just swapped over RF related parts only. The astro spectra plus logic and vocon remain. I have read you response Notarola but I just had to try for my self. Do I need to load a vhf tuning profile, or something.
    Radio Referenced...Those who think they know it all are very annoying to those of use who do.

Thanks

If you were to load a VHF codeplug to the radio it would load the VHF tuning range to the radio too. Much more than that I cannot say sorry.

Will No Longer Registered

You would have to change the Receiver front end, the VCO and VCO carrier, and the afterburner. Change jumpers and a couple of parts in the RF/IF board.

Then do a full alignment and compensation calibration.

Thanks

Hmmm, stumped does not seem to be the case, I have force loaded VHF codeplug in to the Astro Spectra Plus, and when radio is read with CPS it shows VHF. But, the tuning partion is still at 800, I can put the radio in test mode by hitting the button 5 times after turning on, it shows 800 band. Also when read with Astro25 tuner all values are 800mhz. It appears that the tuning partition is not part of the CP. If I do a tuning partion upgrade would that possibly change it to VHF?

Thanks

Yes you would have to do a tuning partition upgrade.
    "Don't worry about what I am, cause I'm a state agent so what you need to do is make sure your doing the right thing **** boy" -J. Dewitte

Thanks

Well I give up, I am sure it can be done, but cannot upgrade tuning partition. Thanks anyways guys.

Thanks

Well I decided not to give up, any ideas. Not looking to add features just move the vocon to a vhf spectra. We are adding a Amateur P25 VHF repeater in my area. I have in 800mhz 2 astro spectras and 1 astro spectra plus. And I have 3 VHF spectra's range 2. I know the Astro Plus has to be handled differntly as far as changing the Vocon. The 1 meg vocon astro spectras I should just need an S-rec to push in hopfully they will be easier than the Plus vocon. The Plus vocon would be easy if I could get past the Radio tuning still thinking its an 800 radio. In another thread I am in search of an S-rec for VHF W7 . Any help?

Alpha is offline T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,523 Times in 737 Posts

Moe, for what it's worth, the Astro Spectra is more Ham-friendly than the AS+ in my opinion. I upgraded my base to an AS+ and went back to the regular AS for several reasons, biggest of which is that it doesn't support Soft ID display. Hams around here make heavy use of callsigns sent over P25 Soft ID's, so not having the decode display was a real deal-breaker for me, anyway. The AS+ really only gives you more channels and QC-II, but it takes away SoftID and as a consolette it doesn't work as well with my remotes.

My suggestion to you would be to stick the 800 MHz codeplug back in the radio then sell the VOCON or the entire radio as an 800 MHz unit then trade or buy the VHF Astro Spectra you really want. Or just sell the VOCON and buy a regular Astro Spectra VOCON to replace it with. Then all your stuff will be the same and easier to deal with, and in my opinion more suitable for Ham use.

Will No Longer Registered

I guess he did NOT change the parts that are band specific. The RF frontend, VCO/carrier board, afterburner and some jumpers and a couple of parts on the RF/IF board.

B+ to ground, over......

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    I guess he did NOT change the parts that are band specific. The RF frontend, VCO/carrier board, afterburner and some jumpers and a couple of parts on the RF/IF board.

B+ to ground, over......
    Yes I have Changed all Rf parts, infact you should be able to remove the commandboard and Vocon from an 800 radio, and install it right into a VHF spectra. (Although I went the other wy around>>LOL). But the Vocon of couse needs to reflect that change to VHF. I have looked at the part number break downs of the Spectra, Astro Spectra and Astro Spectra Plus. RF Wise the parts are all the same numbers besides revision numbers. Example VCO hybrid HLD6061 is used in all 3, RX FE HRD6002 all 3 Pwr Amp HLD6022 all 3. The problem is once the +Vocon has been changed to VHF, you can read it with Astro25CPS and it will say it's VHF. But the tuning partition, is still 800mhz, when your read radio with Astro25 tuner it shows 800 frequencies. And I can not seem to find away to change that. Also when you put the radio in test mode (5 button push after self test) it still thinks its an 800Mhz radio. I have tried upgrading the tuning partition but won't go....Not sure exactley how upgrading the tuning partition would change it from 800 to VHF. But it's seems to be the logical solution to the problem. Like Magnus had mentioned ,, I think that is what needs to be done. Question is the tuning partion stored on the command board or vocon, i would think vocon?

Thanks

its on the vocon

Thanks

You forced a code plug into it so making an assumption here...look around for a place to upgrade only the tuning partition and choose default values

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JMR061 View Post
    You forced a code plug into it so making an assumption here...look around for a place to upgrade only the tuning partition and choose default values
    I have gotten that far but it needs something special,, hardware key or something like that. But yes your assumption is correct.