Thread: XTL1500 Firmware jump from 9.0 to 17.0 - what about the CH files?

Thanks

Default XTL1500 Firmware jump from 9.0 to 17.0 - what about the CH files?

I want to update my XTL1500 from R9.x to 17.01.01 that I downloaded from MOL. I don't see any CH files, so my concern is will I miss updating the control head by making this large of a jump?

I have been all over this board this morning and see that it is advisable to make updates in small jumps, but can't find the older versions of firmware under the download section. My current CPS is 17.01.02 so doing the 19.x firmware isn't an option until I upgrade to CPS 18. The R19 version I just downloaded doesn't have any CH files either and might be too new to try.

I will order an iButton to do the 9->17 jump but if I need to flashzap in small increments, I am willing to try that too. I did grab the R16 CVN file from another post by Mars.

Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,546 Times in 2,107 Posts

Please don't try to upgrade your XTL with CPS 17. It's just asking for trouble -- especially with a firmware jump that big. The XTL flashing process is quite unstable (Moto even admits this in their release notes) and CPS 17 is a known-problematic release.

I can hook you up with the latest sync file for the XTL1500. Not a problem.

Whatever you do, do not do the "dirty upgrade" method. Use a legitimate iButton refresh key. Please!!

Thanks

Thanks Mars, this is the information I was looking for. I'll call Moto Parts on Monday to see if I can order an iButton refresh directly from sales as Jeff from Sandy's told me his lead time is 2-3 weeks turnaround.

I'm mainly after the user scan programming and DTMF mic enhancements as read in earlier release notes, and am starting to like the XTL platform more since there were some available on eBay that I could afford ($299 S-range 45W).

Thanks

I can probably help you out. Send me a PM.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by motoham88 View Post
    Thanks Mars, this is the information I was looking for. I'll call Moto Parts on Monday to see if I can order an iButton refresh directly from sales as Jeff from Sandy's told me his lead time is 2-3 weeks turnaround.

I'm mainly after the user scan programming and DTMF mic enhancements as read in earlier release notes, and am starting to like the XTL platform more since there were some available on eBay that I could afford ($299 S-range 45W).

Thanks

Just a follow-up for those interested. I opted to order an iButton from Jeff @ Sandy's and it was a very smooth process. Jeff knew exactly what I was asking for (versus the local MSS who was clueless), and explained what I would receive in the "kit". It did take almost three weeks, but that was from Motorola to him, then back to me. The part number is T6993A and includes the printed manual, CD with firmware files and the iButton (DS9490B) with one purchased upgrade on it.

The process was as described and took almost 30 minutes for the mobile. It did update a lot of stuff on the radio going from R9 to R19, and it was fun watching the radio display in very small font what it was doing (upload percent). A few times Windows XP interviened with "installing devices" for the USB 1-wire (iButton) and radio FlashZap interface, which I thought would mess it up. The CPS was smart enough to retry after this last driver install, which extended the process time.

The codeplug, DSP, host, PSDT, Boot and Nautilus were upgraded. I used CPS 18 to update firmware 19, and the "readme" file on the CD referenced CPS version 19, so that is probably due out if not already. New features noted: the user-based scan list (select/delete) now works from the softmenus, plus pushing a DTMF key on the Manta-ray mic keys the radio now. It does seem to boot just a little bit faster now too.

Thanks for all who helped me through this process, and I'm glad that I didn't go the dirty route.

Thanks

Whats the bad about doing the dirty flash if you do it in small steps?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cheezhead View Post
    Whats the bad about doing the dirty flash if you do it in small steps?
    \
    The UCM and Codeplug structure doesn't get upgraded.

Thanks

I believe only the host an dsp get upgraded. Nothing else as mentioned above including the tuning partition I believe.

Jason

Thanks

Mine wasn't as far behind as motoham88 but same radio batch mine is at 12

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cheezhead View Post
    Mine wasn't as far behind as motoham88 but same radio batch mine is at 12

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
    Thanks for letting us know that!

Thanks

Re Flashzap: it does upgrade host/dsp firmware as an iButton would do. The codeplug structure will be updated after reading/writing
    the new codeplug with CPS.
    But: no way to upgrade the UCM & tuning partition this way.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,546 Times in 2,107 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SwissMoto View Post
    The codeplug structure will be updated after reading/writing
    Not always.

If there are new features, definitions or modifications to ANYTHING in the Feature Descriptor Block (FDB) in the security partition, an iButton is required. This call is made during the "importing H-Options" process in a firmware update. It compares existing FDB to the definitions in the current version of CPS, then updates the security partition to be proper/match.

A great example is when then XTS2500 went to 870 modes. This information is referenced in the FDB. If no iButton is present during the firmware update, the radio FDB is not updated to match the CPS FDB. No channel expansion will happen.

The dirty method is just that: DIRTY.

Thanks

Agree with the FDB issue.
    Dirty: yes, but less expensive and effective in most of the cases, providing no big firmware jumps.
    Updated host/DSP by itself solves lots of issues without the need of updated FDB.

Thanks

Motoham, I sent you a message.