Thread: XTS5000 P25 Text Messaging function on 70cm

spectreman No Longer Registered

Default XTS5000 P25 Text Messaging function on 70cm

Hi all.
    I am wondering if any ham radio XTS5000 owners in Australia, especially in Melbourne, have ever tried using the text messaging function on 70cm ?
    I have my radio set up for this as per the akardam.net document http://www.akardam.net/moto/docs/xts5k_tms.php
    Seems pretty easy to implement.
    I would love to have a go at using this with other hams in Melbourne.
    Cheers, Chris. VK3TYG

Thanks

Depending on the firmware in the repeater, it may work, or it may crash and reset the repeater

Hi Matt.
    Interesting info about the repeater use ! If there could be a problem, we could always try it on the P25 70cm simplex call freq.
    The akardam guide specifically talks about using the TMS in a simplex mode anyway.
    So Matt, where are you located in Australia ?
    Cheers, Chris.

Thanks

Yep, cant hurt - just give it a shot and see what happens. TMS really ain't that flash anyway, no one seems to really use it in practice.

Oh, I'm in Sydney too BTW

syntrx No Longer Registered

I've used it in the past.

The way it's implemented on the XTS 5000 makes it more of a gimmick than anything else; the APX isn't much better. It's fun from a novelty perspective but gets old when considered as an actual form of communication.

Well I would not be using TMS as the primary form of communication. But since it is present in the radio, may as well have a go at using it.
    I cannot test it myself cause I only have the one radio with TMS.

cyrus is offline Trailer Park Superintendent
    Thanks

Default XTS5000 P25 Text Messaging function on 70cm

They got it slightly better with TRBO by allowing t9 predictive text input. Makes it slightly easier to send a text.
    Cyrus

Bubbles: I'd like to see that Red Blue Green c***sucker put one of those together, duct-tapin' it.

mikem No Longer Registered

It's nice to pass canned messages real quick but it is key intensive to read and then reply. I tested my VHF 5000's on a Portland Oregon 2 meter box that was supposed to be p 25 capable but is exclusively analog and text messaging worked fine from 45 miles away. Of course I was chewed out for using encryption even though my tests were done at midnite with no local activity until I id'd in analog my intent and then switched to digital and then the radio cops all came on the air.

VK3RX No Longer Registered

Glad to hear you have radio cops over there, too

mikem No Longer Registered

Damien they love to drop in on unused repeaters and jump in on active conversations with nothing constructive. The only positive outcome is that non repeater use has exploded with lots of hams migrating to simplex, it seems the radio cops can't figure how to program their radios for simplex use. 900 and220 MHz are great bands to use to get away from the 2 meter squirrels up here.

syntrx No Longer Registered

I've had almost the opposite problem: having to switch back to analog to tell stupid/ignorant repeater users not to key up over the top of P25 conversations in progress!

VK3RX No Longer Registered

We have mixed mode repeaters here, and I suspect at least some analog users might get bugged sometimes. That said, the one I use has very little traffic on it analog or P25, so no-one has much to complain about.

Thanks

Do you know which repeater firmware versions make the repeater to crash?
    Is sthis still common with newer versions? Any known reasons for this to happen?
    Thanks!

Astro Spectra is offline T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks

My experience is that it is was a problem with release 9 (firmware 16.xx.xx) and earlier, possibly up to release 12. The reason? With RDLAP on thre station was expecting VSLEP era DataTAC traffic and not P25 CAI packet data.
    Last edited by Astro Spectra; Feb 20, 2013 at 07:43 PM.
    It is a fine thing to be honest, but it is also very important to be right

Thanks

Interesting! But with the introduction of P25-CAI Moto should have corrected this long ago.
    I still experience TMS crashes on Quantar repeaters running R20.xx.xx.
    Did not test behaviour of latest release R20.14.048 yet..

CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks

R20.xx doesn't mean a lot as the release is the xx digits not the R20 part. So you are on release 14 and there is no RDLAP selection.

Thanks

Has this been corrected with latest release R20.14.048? I am in the process to upgrade.

Alpha is offline T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,533 Times in 739 Posts

I can confirm that version 10 does NOT have the problem, I am running an admittedly older version of the firmware, but the V10 ones that I have (R20.10.xx) pass signalling paging, and TMS, etc. (RD-LAP) stuff just fine. You DO have to remember to turn on RD-LAP when setting up the station, however...

Hi. I suppose it will be very similar to the instructions in the website mentioned in the first post.
    Should work fine between the two different models.

CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks

Do you have APCO packet data in your Flash?

Alpha is offline T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,533 Times in 739 Posts

If you do a bit more searching here on this site, you will find out more about TMS. The biggest problem is with no repeater/base that can handle the TMS messaging, it's a joke to try to use in simplex mode - it doesn't acknowledge or retry if there is an error or it doesn't send it correctly. It only attempts to send a message once and that's it. Extremely unreliable, and a very much useless bell-and-whistle type of option.

sloosecannon No Longer Registered

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    If you do a bit more searching here on this site, you will find out more about TMS. The biggest problem is with no repeater/base that can handle the TMS messaging, it's a joke to try to use in simplex mode - it doesn't acknowledge or retry if there is an error or it doesn't send it correctly. It only attempts to send a message once and that's it. Extremely unreliable, and a very much useless bell-and-whistle type of option.
    Interestingly, the efj 5100 actually does a retry. 3 times iirc. Still, agree on the overall point. Nifty, but not very useful.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 4 Beta