Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some new Radio Over IP stuff (Cheap and Cheerful)

ev351 No Longer Registered

Default Some new Radio Over IP stuff (Cheap and Cheerful)

Hi all,

I am just posting this to share with everyone a nice and cheap Radio over IP solution. This does not involve echolink or IRLP (PHEW!) I found these boxes on ebay. they come form china, and are very cheap...

see the manufacturers website: http://www.dbltek.com/products_roip.html

I got a pair of Roip 102 boxes.

They were a little difficult to set up due to the poor manual, but once up and running they work extremely well. They have PTT and RX inputs / outputs, and I interfaced into an Astro Spectra, even on re vocoded audio, they sound exceptional.

At $150 an end I reckon they are good value. Way cheaper than similar products offered in Australia. (Omnitronics!!!!)

Hope somoene gets some use from this....

Ev.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ev351 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ev351 View Post
    Hi all,

I am just posting this to share with everyone a nice and cheap Radio over IP solution. This does not involve echolink or IRLP (PHEW!) I found these boxes on ebay. they come form china, and are very cheap...

They were a little difficult to set up due to the poor manual, but once up and running they work extremely well. They have PTT and RX inputs / outputs, and I interfaced into an Astro Spectra, even on re vocoded audio, they sound exceptional.

At $150 an end I reckon they are good value. Way cheaper than similar products offered in Australia. (Omnitronics!!!!)

Ev.
    Interesting little box. Any ideas what CPU is under the hood or what kind of software it is running? Would be cool if it had some repeater functionality like CWID or some DSP based CTCSS. As its using VOIP it might be possible to interface with a app_rpt node.

Thanks

I could definitely have some fun with this. A good alternative to the (now defunct) DingoTel dongles.

Alpha is offline T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,531 Times in 738 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Avery Johannssenn View Post
    I could definitely have some fun with this. A good alternative to the (now defunct) DingoTel dongles.
    I used to have problems with them, but I learned to wipe better!

I dont know what is under the hood, I know the web interface is JAVA based if that gives any clues. Unfortunately they have no repeater controls or CTCSS or anything similar its just a link with basic TX/RX signalling. You also need a simple SIP server running. They say that the boxes will link backto back without buying thier server box, but we could not get this to happen. So we just ran a basic SIP server instead. So far so good.

Ev.

Thanks

I dont know what is under the hood, I know the web interface is JAVA based if that gives any clues. Unfortunately they have no repeater controls or CTCSS or anything similar its just a link with basic TX/RX signalling. You also need a simple SIP server running. They say that the boxes will link backto back without buying thier server box, but we could not get this to happen. So we just ran a basic SIP server instead. So far so good.

Ev.
    Good Morning from sunny Melbourne.

This may explain why I can't get them damn things to talk to each other. The supplied PDF manual is a disaster !

According to the manual it should work with 2 back to back but I have had my 2 for about 4 months now as a play time project and they have been in and out of the boxes when I had time to much around.

So I guess I better google how to set up a SIP server then ?

My original plan was to have a box at work and a box at home so I could use a simplex channel into our cap. plus system at work via a spare mobile on the cap.plus system

Sounded simple at the time and as you said for the bucks they seemed like a cheap proposition. However I had written it off as an expensive failure :-)

Off to google SIP Servers now then :-)

I will update on the progress

BFN
    Mike

Hi Mike, just for your info Im using a SIP server called 3CX. You can download a version for free which will work for you. Its easy to install so long as yuo understand port fowarding etc. Note, I could not yet get both my boxes to function on my local network. One must be out on the internet somewhere. This sounds like how you are going to set up anyways so it shouldnt be a problem. Just bear it in mind when testing, that you most likely wont be able to test on the same subnet. IF you work out why id love to know.

Ev.

Thanks

Hi Mike, just for your info Im using a SIP server called 3CX. You can download a version for free which will work for you. Its easy to install so long as yuo understand port fowarding etc. Note, I could not yet get both my boxes to function on my local network. One must be out on the internet somewhere. This sounds like how you are going to set up anyways so it shouldnt be a problem. Just bear it in mind when testing, that you most likely wont be able to test on the same subnet. IF you work out why id love to know.

Ev.
    Thanks for that, they were about choice 3 that came up on the google box

Yes I want to throw both on the internet so that shouldn't be a problem, I just need to set up a box somewhere on the net to to the SIP server bit that will be secure enough either at my end or works end (work may not like that bit) but I will give it a crack

Be in touch
    Mike

If anyone reads this knows of a SIP server package that can host conference calls and is relatively simple to set up I would like to know. As then I can have multiple sites linked up.

Oh, and Mike, you will be able to run 3cx at home or work with one of the boxes on the same local network. Just not both boxes on your local network. If you work out a way to get it all going locally, please tell as I would love to know.

Ev.

Thanks

I had a simular problem with streaming myself although not with this exact setup, seems my router would not allow access from a WAN IP address if it originated from within the same LAN, i.e. not allow a stream to travel out onto the internet from one computer and then back to another on the same LAN?

I got around this by creating a second configuration just for testing which used only local IP addresses within my LAN (peer to peer across my Ethernet), apart from that I'd just phone-a-friend and get them to test for me!
    Andrew

Thanks

Yep - its a security feature in the router to prevent loopback attacks (ie spoofing an internal IP address from the internet side) You can bypass it on high end gear, but Cisco gear for example say "this is evil, do not do it unless you have to"

Cheers,
    Matt

Thanks

Spent a few hours over the weekend trying ! Sip server working but not being able to test the ends at the same site is a major PITA. Will keep plodding..

Thanks

Interesting product....how much do these puppies cost?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WQNV648 View Post
    Interesting product....how much do these puppies cost?
    Mine was $342 for 2 shipped to Melbourne, Australia

The distributor sells them I think for $130 US in numbers less than 10 units in 1 hit.

The manuals are boardering on useless as the chinese to english translations just do not make sense in many places and some of those places are the critical parts to getting the damn things to work properly.

Still playing, hopefully today I can get these things to work. But it would appear that despite what the manual says, they will not work point to point without a SIP server

Cheers
    Mike

Thanks

Hi all,

Ev.
    Today is a GOOD DAY, finally got the A end to talk to the B end. No thanks to the poor quality of the manuals !

Still can't get them to work on the same segement of a network, did get it to work with 1 box on my home network with a dynamic dns, a SIP server and the other end sitting at work on their network.

I am going from simplex xts3K with DES encryption into our encrypted cap. plus trunk system and the audio is actually very good, I am pleasantly suprised.

Thanks to ev351 for the tip about the SIP server, that has cut out days of pulling folicals out :-)

Cheers
    Mike

Good to hear mike. I contacted the manufacturer about not being able to use these back to back.. they said to upgrade the firmware they seemed to elude to the fact that they knew it didn't work. When I get time ill try. It would be good not to need the sip server.
    Also to the guys talking about the loopback in the router, maybe I'm missing something but when I say I cannot get these boxes to work on the same network segment, I actually have the boxes pointing to each others local ips. I didn't think loopback would come into it?? Please elaborate if I am wrong.
    Ev.

mtp850 No Longer Registered

Hi all,
    I interfaced into an Astro Spectra, even on re vocoded audio, they sound exceptional.

Any chance you could post the wiring diagram you used for this ? I'll order some later this week to give it a try!

Thanks

Also to the guys talking about the loopback in the router, maybe I'm missing something but when I say I cannot get these boxes to work on the same network segment, I actually have the boxes pointing to each others local ips.
    Loopback blocking is a different issue to the one you're seeing. Its where you're trying to access an external NAT from inside your local network segment. The issue you're having is probably to do with the devices themselves - two devices talking on the one subnet is about as simple as it can get..

Thanks

Good to hear mike. I contacted the manufacturer about not being able to use these back to back.. they said to upgrade the firmware they seemed to elude to the fact that they knew it didn't work. When I get time ill try. It would be good not to need the sip server.
    Also to the guys talking about the loopback in the router, maybe I'm missing something but when I say I cannot get these boxes to work on the same network segment, I actually have the boxes pointing to each others local ips. I didn't think loopback would come into it?? Please elaborate if I am wrong.
    Ev.
    Did they send you the firmware to upgrade as it does not appear on their web site ?

If we can get these to work on the same network segment that would also be useful for one of my applications.

Mike

The diagram which i used can be found by looking in this thread: https://www.p25.ca/threads/2189-Astr...-Radio-Over-IP

The only difference is that I did not use discriminator audio.. I ended up using one of the speaker audio pins on the DB 25 on the front of the radio. I guess those boxes must be set for very high audio input. But again the audio is really good for such a simple job.

AS for the firmware, here is a copy of the Chenglish suppot email that i received. You copy and paste one of those links into the Roips firmware upgrade section. See email below::

plz make sure of the latest version for the device before anything done .there are two versions for roip and choose the right one according the status web page of the roip :

http://118.142.51.162/update/ROIPT-1.01-5.pkg
    Or
    http://118.142.51.162/update/ROIP-1.01-36.pkg

1. from radio to GSM or SIP phone(under condition of PTT pushing)
    a. press *10 + password+#+ pstn/gsm number +# 。for example :*10123#13800138000# ,*10 is choice for gsm,123# is password
    b. press *20 +sip phone number 。for example :*20106#,call the sip phone :106
    c. press *99, call the hot line number 。
    notice: both gsm and sip call can be ended in radio side by *00

Thanks

The diagram which i used can be found by looking in this thread: https://www.p25.ca/threads/2189-Astr...-Radio-Over-IP

The only difference is that I did not use discriminator audio.. I ended up using one of the speaker audio pins on the DB 25 on the front of the radio. I guess those boxes must be set for very high audio input. But again the audio is really good for such a simple job.

AS for the firmware, here is a copy of the Chenglish suppot email that i received. You copy and paste one of those links into the Roips firmware upgrade section. See email below::

plz make sure of the latest version for the device before anything done .there are two versions for roip and choose the right one according the status web page of the roip :

http://118.142.51.162/update/ROIPT-1.01-5.pkg
    Or
    http://118.142.51.162/update/ROIP-1.01-36.pkg

1. from radio to GSM or SIP phone(under condition of PTT pushing)
    a. press *10 + password+#+ pstn/gsm number +# 。for example :*10123#13800138000# ,*10 is choice for gsm,123# is password
    b. press *20 +sip phone number 。for example :*20106#,call the sip phone :106
    c. press *99, call the hot line number 。
    notice: both gsm and sip call can be ended in radio side by *00

This person clearly wrote the whole manual for this product :-)

Have you successfully upgraded your firmware in your units ?

Haha, You are not wrong. I upgraded the firmware in my boxes. With some strange results. I can now make the box log into itself as the manual suggests. Also, I have a Linksys PAP2T ATA Voip box, which I can make log into the Roip box, then I can talk on the radio connected top the roip by pressing 1 my old Touchfone 200 keypad to key up and then pressing 0 to end the transmission.

Its pretty funny. I am very tempted to buy the Roip 302M box so that I can connect multiple Roip 102s and also just call up on regular ATAs or even SIP smartphone aps to listen to whats going on on air... and talk back if needed... I think its pretty cool.

truckcomm No Longer Registered

Hi all, first post. and I know this thread is a little dated, but, These ROIP 102 boxes, what happens when they are called by SIP? do they automatically connect or do they give a tone over air and say need a # or something to connect to the incomming call.

Any help on this one would be appreciated.

Thanks.

truckcomm No Longer Registered

Futher to my last, what I would like to know, does it behave like an old TARA or TACT type unit, where the call is answered and the PTT stays on until The call is disconnected - through a semi duplex repeater station.

Thanks

Hey, this thing uses SIP? Can I hook it into my asterisk??