Thread: AS+ FAIL 01/82 problem.

Thanks

Default AS+ FAIL 01/82 problem.

Hello Everyone,

Looking for opinions on a FAIL 01/82 situation.

One of my AS+ radios has been sitting on a desk playing audio forever. Yesterday I discovered that it was frozen up. The channel name was on the screen, but was not responsive to any button presses etc. I power cycled the radio and it didn't come back.

When powering the unit up, the Busy/TX lights come on. They stay lit for about 20 seconds. Then the unit shows SPECTRA+ and then immediately goes FAIL 01/82.

You can't read or write the radio with regular CPS. You can't read or write it with tuner. It shows an odd message about something having failed in the radio, or the port is bad.

8MB Vocon, R17.01.01.

Possibly a component failure in the VOCON? Or corruption somewhere in the codeplug (external or dynamic block)? What's really odd here is that the unit wasn't being flashed or programmed when it died. Just sitting on the desk turned on.

Cheers,
    SD

Thanks
    Thanked 7,733 Times in 2,153 Posts

That's a codeplug checksum error. Should be an easy repair with the right tools.

Alpha is offline T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,516 Times in 735 Posts

Your radio's CPU went bonkers somehow (code error, cosmic rays, whatever...) and when a processor goes ape-sh*t it pretty much does what it wants including writing to illegal/protected areas of memory like the codeplug EEPROM storage. There is a write-protect circuit but the CPU has control over that, too. Unfortunately even changing one byte there will cause the dreaded checksum error, so you will have to reprogram - hopefully, you saved the codeplug to disk.

Hopefully it's a one-off fluke. If it happens again, then I'd suspect problems with the VOCON like address selection problems or issues with the EEPROM itself, possibly.

Thanks

Can anything be done in Windows, or is this strictly a DOS tools fix? I have the same problem, but don't have an old codeplug, or a rib cable on me. I can read the radio, but get a lot of block checksum errors. The last errors says:

Ptr field 8036 references block with absolute ID 14but that block at that address has a type value which resolves to absolute ID 24.
    Unpack failed.

Thanks

What you need is a old codeplug for the radio any saved codeplug will do. you should be able to just reprogram that codeplug into the radio.

On a related side issue, Everyone should read and save their codeplug everytime the radio is programmed. Many issues would be easilly fixable if this was done. Everyone claims to have the CPS and cables so why cant they save the codeplug.

Thanks

I got the radio from eBay, so I don't have an old codeplug.

Thanks

maybe the seller has one ??

Thanks

He doesn't unfortunately

Thanks

Without a codeplug your pretty much dead in the water. You can try and see if anyone can/will repair the vocon for you. Try asking in the WTB forum for repair services. If it can be repaired I would expect it to come back with just a basic codeplug , you would have to reinstall all your custom info.

BH7MGF No Longer Registered

May be the motherboard problem, I have a AS has the same problem, can not repair, then replace the motherboard.