Thread: APX strange power-on behavior

Thanks

Default APX strange power-on behavior

I have a VHF/UHF1 APX 7000 running r09.00.00. I think it's been doing this ever since the firmware changeover (was that 5? i forget...) When I have the ABC set to A for scan and power the radio on and if it finds an active channel before it has a chance to power-on beep or channel announce, when the channel goes free and it returns to the selected channel it will give me a rapid beep and say 'Illegal Key' on the display. Seems to not matter whether I am on a selected channel that has encryption or not. I have it set to software ADP right now for lack of keyloader and do have a couple personalities set to select and some to strapped clear.

Any thoughts? It was hardware keyloaded at one time but I lost it again after Dayton doing a firmware bump. Or testing switching to software and back to hardware to see if it would lose the keys. Which it did.

Thanks

Its beeping because its an incorrect key. Delete the Key or turn off the module in CPS for it to stop.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,612 Times in 688 Posts

Semi-old bump:
    Mine started doing this after I began parking it on a channel with software ADP enabled. It only does it upon powerup, and only when it immediately hops to a non-secure-enabled channel in scan on powerup while parked on a software ADP-enabled channel. And even then it doesn't affect operation.. it does it once, goes back to normal, and secure on the selected channel still works. Hardware-loading an ADP key would probably fix it as it did not do this when, all other things being equal, the crypto type was DES-XL. TL;DR minor firmware bug, don't sweat it.