Thread: MTS2000 ruined after codeplug edition.

RussianE39 No Longer Registered

Default MTS2000 ruined after codeplug edition.

Sorry for putting MTS2000 question in Astro forum, dear moderators please move it to correct place. So, sad story happens to me when I developed my tool - I've ruined my lovely MTS 2000 Type3 radio. Now let me explain what I did, what happened and maybe someone could tell me what to do, to revive radio back:
    I've read internal codeplug from radio, edited flashcode, fixed CRC and put it back to radio.
    Now when I turning on radio, nothing comes on LCD, radio just turn ON green LED on top.
    Radio became unresponsive to any SB9600 and SBEP commands I've sent to it. I suspect I've ruined internal codeplug somehow and now operating system of radio just hangs on boot or bootlooping, but I'm not sure about that.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,091 Times in 570 Posts

This is not good. You might try doing a firmware upgrade with CPS if you have a flashkey, that sends a bootloader to the radio in the process of upgrading.

If you don't have that you will probably need a tool like ASTROTP that can boot radio and send a bootloader to it so you can reprogram the EEPROM's. That's a rare lab tool for Astro Saber/Spectras, but I don't know if the bootloader will even work on an MTS.

The MTS bootloader is encrypted and stored somewhere in the CPS for upgrading the radios, it decrypts it and sends it to the radio to enable the CPS to access the flash ROM's and EEPROM's in the radio debug-style, then it decrypts the CVN files to get bin files to send to the HOST and DSP flash ROM's. The XTS3000 version turns the rotary light red while the boot loader is being transferred to the radio, it's a neat thing not too many people get to see. But you may be screwed here, you might have to find another controller board, my freind.

P.S. You might try also waiting a LOOOOONNNNNNNNGGGGGG time for it to boot up. I have had corrupted codeplugs before that the radio hung on boot for like 2-3 minutes, then finally woke up to an FAIL 01/82 or something like that. At that point the radio was responsive enough to jam a codeplug into it using the old MTS depot "Raw CP Read/Write" function.
    Last edited by Alpha; Mar 30, 2012 at 04:16 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,774 Times in 1,707 Posts

I can fix this radio if all else fails. Shipping + $25 for my time.

PRC148 No Longer Registered

Did you keep the original unaltered data file you read from it?

Thanks

Can these radios be fixed with the "tool proof" error as well?

GS4 is offline Inactive CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Techmedic View Post
    Can these radios be fixed with the "tool proof" error as well?

Yes, the 01/93 error can be fixed outside of the depot.

Thanks

This was a radio got at a Ham fest cheap, knowing it's issue. Because of this I don't have an S-Record or even codeplug backups but would like to use it for 70cm HAM use. If you could delve into the procedure more it would be appreciated...:-)

GS4 is offline Inactive CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks

You can try a firmware update sometimes that will clear it, but most of the time it will not. The other way is to use Depot CPS to restore it.

GS

RussianE39 No Longer Registered

Thank you for responses, guys. I'll try firmware update first, because I've got a feeling that some bytes in internal codeplug confuses radio operating system, maybe it is fixed in latest revisions of firmware. Now I'm working on non-CPS flash solution for those radios because I found bootloaders for them :-)

code636 No Longer Registered

Wanted to know more about this. I have a 100wt vhf MCS2000 with the 01/93 code I bought on ebay several yrs ago, been sitting in garage ever since and forgot about it. Would love to know how to get it going again. please advise. thanks in advance, -Scott