Thread: XTS2500 won't power-on

technophobicham No Longer Registered

Default XTS2500 won't power-on

I just found this site and WOW! Now for my newbie question... I use an XTS2500 at work (800mhz,P25,trunking) and it started doing something odd recently where it flashes the 'self test' message then the lower half of the display comes on BUT the channel info does not appear. It stays this way for 5 seconds then goes off and 1 second later repeats - I left it for ten minutes like this and nothing. The only thing I can add is that the battery fits poorly and the unit was losing power as I would carry it on my belt by the clip. (I did not realize this originally but now know it) Any help appreciated.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,806 Times in 561 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by technophobicham View Post
    I just found this site and WOW! Now for my newbie question... I use an XTS2500 at work (800mhz,P25,trunking) and it started doing something odd recently where it flashes the 'self test' message then the lower half of the display comes on BUT the channel info does not appear. It stays this way for 5 seconds then goes off and 1 second later repeats - I left it for ten minutes like this and nothing. The only thing I can add is that the battery fits poorly and the unit was losing power as I would carry it on my belt by the clip. (I did not realize this originally but now know it) Any help appreciated.
    Before doing anything else, you should reseat the flex that goes from keypad / display board to the radio. XTS2500s are known to develop connection problems that can possibly be solved by reseating the flex. If that doesn't work, try reseating the display connector.

...And now for my next (dumb) question - Any advice on how to open the unit without destroying the case? It looks like there are two small tabs at the bottom that my not-so-dainty hands will break off as I disassemble it. If those come off, it appears as though the front panel won't stay attached. (i.e. Do I need a special tool?)

Thanks

Yes, there is a special tool that removes the knobs and also pops the case off of the radio. It is a very bad idea to try to remove the case any other way.
    Last edited by Number 6; Feb 07, 2013 at 02:30 AM. Reason: Darn iPhone keyboard

moto462575 No Longer Registered

Agree on the flex cable. Had an issue with the display doing odd things. Reseated the connections and all is good.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,737 Times in 2,153 Posts

Glad to hear you resolved your issue!

The unreliable XTS2500 flex cables strike again... how did this radio get marketed to public safety again? 3000 and 5000 are not afflicted with these problems. Another peeve of mine is the UCM, which is built into the keypad. Since the keypad flexes somewhat when users dial digits/access menu, the board is prone to eventual failure, as the FBGA chips from the UCM circuit have their "balls" pried from the board over time as the board warps. Moto is aware of this probability, as the 2500 UCM is the only one where chip underfill is present for the UCM flash ROM and processor. (It's kind of like glue)

Hey, I have two of them. (2500s... and my balls) They work OK

moto462575 No Longer Registered

If only Mars could run Mother M, then there wouldn't be these kind of dumb designs. And I am glad your balls work OK!

Thanks for the help, all. Just to be clear; the radio will not turn on... it is not simply a problem with the display. It attempts to power-up but fails and keeps re-trying - ad infinitum. So, would this flex issue keep the unit from working? (Sorry, I have been known to beat the occasional dead horse.)

Thanks

Thanks for the help, all. Just to be clear; the radio will not turn on... it is not simply a problem with the display. It attempts to power-up but fails and keeps re-trying - ad infinitum. So, would this flex issue keep the unit from working? (Sorry, I have been known to beat the occasional dead horse.)
    Yes, it is possible that the problem is with the flex. You are just going to have to try reseating the flex and move to further troubleshooting if that doesn't work. If a radio is inhibited, it will power on, show self-test, and then go blank. But it doesn't usually keep repeating, so try the reseating the flex. Until you eliminate one potential source, there's not much else that can be said.

No legitimate reason for it to be inhibited, but stranger things have happened. I'll start with what you've given me. Thanks again.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,846 Times in 931 Posts

If you get past the flex, check the resistance across the on-off portion of the volume on-off with it on, it should be very low. If its NOT, then you may have a bad switch, which, would allow for an excessive voltage drop on boot and the successive reboot attempts. Also physically check the battery contacts.

Got the unit open and checked the flex cables... all looked okay there. I'll check out the on-off next and battery contacts. Thanks again.

Well it looks like I'll have to send it out for repair. I want to thank all for the help - I now know more about these units so I'll take that as a win. Any idea of a typical turn-around time for service?

Thanks

Well it looks like I'll have to send it out for repair. I want to thank all for the help - I now know more about these units so I'll take that as a win. Any idea of a typical turn-around time for service?
    The depot will charge you $400 for a repair and turnaround time is about 2 weeks.