Thread: Image on APX screens

Thanks

Default Image on APX screens

Why in all the brochures is there a /\/\ logo on all the screens of the radios. I think the O9 too. Why can't I put my dept. logo in that spot? Sounds like a good reason to enable the SD slot and release some image size specs. I would have a wacker NSA/CIA logo on that in a hot minute. GIFs would get ridiculous quick.

syntrx No Longer Registered

You can't display any logo on the display of an APX, let alone a Motorola logo.

It's just there for show.

Thanks

Just as an intellectual challenge. A firmware upgrade might fix that LOL. It would also depend on how the LCD rivers handle the input. If its strait matrix then pictures are a possibility.

Thanks

If you look at the RGB test, there are enough variations to convince me that pictures would be no problem. Not super-high-res of course... no Retina display on the APX... but certainly enough for a department logo and a "if found call X" notification. They should do the same thing if the radio gets inhibited... your average pawn shop owner probably wouldn't accept a radio that displayed "stolen from X PD"...

They'll get that done shortly after QCII, in late 2017.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,737 Times in 2,153 Posts

I heard smartzone and AES-256 is coming to the APX in 2020.

Not enough push for those features right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

syntrx No Longer Registered

Pictures aren't a problem. The display is hooked up to the LCD controller on the OMAP1710, which will push any pixels it's told. Hardware wise, if an old smartphone can do it, then the APX can do it too.

Thanks

add this to the features like QCII that will never happen.

Thanks

^Ha!

The O9's they have at IWCE rotate thru a bunch of demo screens. I looked for an external computer hookup or the sort but couldn't find anything and fresh out of college sales kids had no clue. Then again, it is motorola and wouldn't be difficult for them to have some little image procesor/computer internally in the control head...

But, yes - shouldn't be too hard - but beyond me.

Thanks

A simple firmware upgrade to support the pixel format may be all thats needed. Text is probably handled as a charcter set in processor before being sent to the display chip for actual display in the pixel matrix. As said its an interesting intellectual challenge maybe the next generation of radios will have the ability. The Moto phones have it so it shouldnt be too much work to cusomise such a display in the future.

Thanks

They've changed the font multiple times... can't be too hard...

Thanks

Agreed. TRBO 2.0 does images, so....

Thanks

As said this is an intellectual challenge. But if Moto listens to user comments this is something that many customers could use. it would be really something to be able to have a picture sent to the unit. This would work nicly for wanted or missing poeple. The resolution may not be great but something is better than nothing.

Alpha is offline T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,519 Times in 736 Posts

Pictures would be fun, but more than likely it'll be implemented with all the quality of TMS

Being able to upload a power-on logo or picture at least would be nice, even the cheap-*** Kenwood NexEdge radios do this... *cough*

Thanks

The APX proc. can support video. Look up the specs of proc. it is pretty impressively packed of features most of which are not used,,,YET! I have heard there was a speaker mic with video attached to an APX at IWCE on display.
    Radio Referenced...Those who think they know it all are very annoying to those of use who do.

Thanks

http://i3.ytimg.com/vi/jMmqkWJBA0c/hqdefault.jpg

I heard the prototype they displayed pretty much sucked...but interesting at least (if you have the multimillion dollar infrastructure to support it)

Thanks

Maybe when the APX line is at it's EOL. Well have people hacking images like you see on 20meter slow scan on there display's LOL. Until then this line has a long way to go. How long has it been out! , and still no use for the RUGGED SD card slot. A little off topic, but Y the heck is there No priority on a multiscan setting, ugggg. For the mobile's this especially sucks. Because most agencies are not going to equip every officer or FF with an APX dualband port, but the Vehicle is a different story when it comes to needing multiband capabilities as some of you may know some departments have both VHF and 800 in there cars. If you are an 800 primary system user and want to monitor the sheriff on VHF, you can and will miss your primary TG on 800 because of no priority. But I guess it is designed as an interoperability tool, so whatever. Unless things have changed since I last programmed an APX7500.

Sorry I got off on a cosine of a tangent, back to display topic. LOL
    Radio Referenced...Those who think they know it all are very annoying to those of use who do.

Alpha is offline T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,519 Times in 736 Posts

FYI the reason there is no priority on multi-system talkgroup scan is that it takes too long to figure out if there is traffic on a channel to do priority monitoring. To do priority, it requires the radio switch to the other channel and check for activity, then switch back to the current channel if none without punching too big a hole in the audio. The time it would take to sample a trunked channel for activity would take long enough so as to make large gaps in the audio that are unacceptable. Conventional channels and monitoring a single trunked system are OK, that can be done quickly enough to not make the audio stutter too badly.

Historically, Motorola has always hated priority scan, and viewed it as a "dirty compromise". Their solution was always to use a completely separate receiver monitoring the priority channel and overriding the non-priority audio if the priority receiver went off. I have an old Mocat State-Police model CB that has a second channel 9 priority receiver in it, even . If you look at some of the old repeater and base station designs, they always had a space left for a second receiver, usually for that purpose.

Some of the mobiles had that option, too. It was IIRC called a "Hot Red Receiver" (HRR) option.

Thanks

I have not looked at any service manuals, but it would seems to me there would be say for an VHF/7-800 APX there would be a rx'er for VHF and one for 7-800. But I guess that is not the case. If that was the case the radio should never have to leave the CC on an 7or800 sys to listen on VHF.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Some of the mobiles had that option, too. It was IIRC called a "Hot Red Receiver" (HRR) option.
    The HRR was developed for Orange County CA to monitor a single talkgroup. It required a complete second drawer (pretty expensive option), and used ASTRO Spectra's. In the true setup, a couple of board modifications were down to lower parastic draw when off and included an antenna swtich and passthru from the primary radio to the secondary radio so only one antenna was needed.

Thankfully, you can take any W7 or W9 ASTRO Spectra, buy the cable and create the same setup. The second radio will never transmit (makes for a great TRS monitoring radio). We looking into trying to get the 2nd radio to xmit, but couldn't do it. 512k radios would xmit if the primary radio was disconnected (obviously no big gain there) but 1MB radios would not...so somwhere in the firmware is the key. Also the factory HRR radio did not have tx audio lines to the second radio.

The XTL was available in the same setup, but not with the O heads and some other limitations.

Best they ever did was the dual radio systems9000 X9000 setup. Too bad they just can't do something similar.