Thread: making cables

Thanks

Default making cables

I want to start making my own db25 cables. What kind of crimper do I.need for the pins?

Thanks in advance

Thanks
    Thanked 8,704 Times in 2,391 Posts

Buy a soldering iron instead. Crimping is unreliable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Will No Longer Registered

Soldering is less expensive. The correct crimp tool IS very expensive as are the pins and housings.

theplague No Longer Registered

Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    Soldering is less expensive. The correct crimp tool IS very expensive as are the pins and housings.
    Last I checked the pin crimper is $35 from fry's and you can get pins down as low as $.20 or so if you shop around and buy in quantity.

Thanks

In this case, soldering is your best choice.
    You may also want to get some heat shrink tubing for each wire to terminal joint.
    Common sense is Uncommon.
    You can't fix stupid, but eventually it takes care of itself.

Thanks

u need cable + digikey # L717SDB25P-ND and 17E-1726-1-ND

Thanks

I use a crimper and rarely have any issues with reliability on DB25.

Thanks

The crimp tool does not have to be expensive. You might not stop using it if you buy it. I bought just the die (99-8644) for less than $15. It sort of works on other open crimp terminals like speaker connector pins but there are two steps on this die and they are set up for d-shell connector pins.

Soldering wires is unreliable. You can make a good crimp and a bad crimp but soldering wires is forbidden in many uses because wires break. Truth is if you can get your wires soldered into the solder cups then your cable will probably be okay and hold up. But if you want something that will never break the closest you can get is stranded wire, machine crimped onto a terminal with an insulation support. Some might argue for a mold filled connector body but that is not serviceable and it is even less likely you can do that at home (and soldering inside the mold is still considered cheap, for instance the db25 on the spectra control cable is crimped, the giveaway is the missing pins were never inserted into the db-shell.)