Thread: Unique XTS2500 Housing - Can anyone identify?

Thanks

Default Unique XTS2500 Housing - Can anyone identify?

I found this image on a foreign radio blog awhile back (unfortunately can't find the link) and saved it because it was not something I'd seen before.

Can anyone identify this housing?

Reminds me of the light gray sabers from Jurassic Park

GrayXTS.jpg

Thanks

Odd. Speaker holes are different also. I wonder what the PAL on the display is.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kevlar1307 View Post
    Odd. Speaker holes are different also. I wonder what the PAL on the display is.
    The speaker grill leads me to think its a custom or SP housing. Otherwise I would have just thought it was a Krylon job.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,091 Times in 570 Posts

I believe "foreign" is the key word here. That's probably a 2500 or 1500 for some "grey market" (grey, like the case LOL) such as south america or asia. I have an XTS2500 that has an XTS2550 sticker on it but otherwise it's a normal 2500 BN, that I understand was also for some other non-North American market. They do make some "other" radios for other markets, there were some GP's and HT250/450/750 type radios for other markets as well.

Most of them have non-standard firmware or model numbers to force users to use a matching "grey market" CPS as well, and of course that won't work with normal NA radios. Most of them can be reflashed to normal North American models/types, AFAIK like mine, it shows up in software as a normal XTS2500.

The pictured unit is probably an "PM1550" or something silly like that with a normal XTS2500 sticker on the front, is my best guess. Either that or they have a "CN" housing for the XTS2500 line, maybe, but unlikely. The "PAL" also might be a clue - Phillipine Airlines? That would also put the model as an Asian type as well, perhaps. Also note the freq, in non North-American countries 440-450 is Ham and the 430-440 band is either Gov't. or commercial bands, it probably wasn't reprogrammed or anything from the look of it.

FWIW, it's a little less fugly than an XTS2500! It doesn't seem to get as large at the top so it looks like a giant sore cartoon thumb! :P
    Last edited by Alpha; Apr 01, 2012 at 04:25 AM.

Thanks

Looks like a beta housing to me, with the speaker grill structure?

deejay No Longer Registered

That is a very old xts2500.. I have a xts1500 with the same type grille and knobs and it was just a really old demo I believe..

GS4 is offline Inactive CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks

I don't think that is an older unit. The channel knob is from the new radios, it has FPP and that was not available with older firmware, it had the IP rated dust cover, and the antenna looks like one of the APX antennas.

That grill gives it a consumer grade radio IMHO.

GS

Thanks

Man, I'd love to have an oddball radio like that in my collection!

deejay No Longer Registered

The one I have is very old and has the identical knobs and Fpp.. Firmware can be updated

Thanks

It looks to be a very old BN case, maybe a prototype or something. It has the squared bottom on the speaker grille, no finger indents on the side like the AN cases had. And the antenna appears to be a stubby TRbo UHF antenna.

Thanks

It's an ATS3000 case. Not sure what market it's sold in, but found a basic service manual for such and the picture on the cover matches up.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kf4lhp View Post
    It's an ATS3000 case. Not sure what market it's sold in, but found a basic service manual for such and the picture on the cover matches up.
    Awesome! Thanks for the ID.

Is there a P/N for the case in that BSM?

Thanks

Sorry, I misspoke. The manual I found is the ATS3000 Model 3 User Guide (68012001055-A). Don't have a part number.

ATS3000.jpg

syntrx No Longer Registered

ATS 3000 is a south east Asian radio, common in Indonesia and other countries in the region. There's also the ATS 2000, essentially a SmartZone OmniLink capable Waris.

syntrx No Longer Registered

ATS 2500, rather. Not ATS 2000.

Thanks

That is an awesome looking case, would love to find the part number for it.