Thread: Multiple PL on receive question.

jlamanske No Longer Registered

Default Multiple PL on receive question.

Does anyone have any idea how a base radio, IE a HEAR radio at a hospital can be set up to have multiple PL receive on the same channel/frequency without being set to CSQ? I know several hospitals have their 155.340 base radio set to receive a local PL ie 131.8 and a statewide tone of 210.7 and don't receive other traffic with different PL tones. I have always wondered how they do this, but wasn't sure? Anyone have an idea or set up one of these type of stations?

Thanks

Not sure if I've ever seen a radio that supports more than one PL for a single personality, but I have been in this situation before. Setup 2 personalities, exactly alike, only change the PL tone. Set each mode to auto-scan and increase the talkback time so that it stays on the last channel received for a certain amount of time (or indefinitely). Now whichever mode the radio stops on (local PL), you can reply on that channel until the state PL activates and reply on that.

I guess that kind of makes sense. I'm not sure exactly what radio is being used, most of the time we only see the tone or DC remote. Usually a CPI unit with 2 frequency positions or the 16 channel with a display that reflects what one would see on a GM300 or similar series radio, Maxtrac or the older M216 type radios.

dave9600 No Longer Registered

Last edited by dave9600; Feb 07, 2013 at 01:27 AM.

Thanks

Dave that's for allowing multiple PLs on a repeater, which would serve as a community repeater. This is for a base station. The only "dual" receive supported out of the box is mixed mode or hybrid, which allows for an analog tone & P25 NAC. I believe NEXEDGE supports analog/NXDN channels as well....haven't seen it in person though.

Thanks

Most I have seen are base stations with a second receiver in them. One for the hospital pl and one for statewide.
    "Don't worry about what I am, cause I'm a state agent so what you need to do is make sure your doing the right thing **** boy" -J. Dewitte

dave9600 No Longer Registered

Quote Originally Posted by trumpetman12 View Post
    Dave that's for allowing multiple PLs on a repeater, which would serve as a community repeater. This is for a base station. The only "dual" receive supported out of the box is mixed mode or hybrid, which allows for an analog tone & P25 NAC. I believe NEXEDGE supports analog/NXDN channels as well....haven't seen it in person though.
    Last edited by dave9600; Feb 07, 2013 at 01:26 AM.

Thanks

I agree with magnus I have seen numerous multi rx decks in repeaters set up this way. The seperate recievers act as ch 1 and ch2 it dosnt matter that they are using the same RF freq. On a portable or such the only way I can think of having it work would be to have the unit scan.

What base systems support multiple receivers?

Thanks

Micor, MSR2000, MSF5000, and Quantar all had provisions for multiple receivers in one unit. One can be made easily and cheap by taking two radios, and two tone remote adapters. Configure one radio as a 2wire unit with tx and rx and the second as a 2wire rx only. Connect the tx/rx one to the 2wire pair of a 4wire remote and tie the rx only one to the 4wire pair of the remote. Using a 2 bases like the MTR2/3000 with built in wireline is easier with fewer parts but more expensive.
    "Don't worry about what I am, cause I'm a state agent so what you need to do is make sure your doing the right thing **** boy" -J. Dewitte

It makes sense having a second receiver and only one transmitter, as most places suggest programming CSQ receive on the mobile or portable end as far as 155.340 is concerned. So the base radio is more than likely only transmitting the local PL as to not open up every base in a 100 mile radius.

Thanks

The only problem with CSQ on the mobiles is they also get to hear everybase unit in range.. I have seen in older radios a second aftermarket Pl board added to simulate a second reciever.

Thanks

The proper MERCI/IHERN (IL and IN terms for 155.340) protocol is to have all mobiles be CSQ on rx. We normally put them in as tx and rx PL for a individual hospital and then CSQ on rx for the statewide 210.7 PL channel.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,737 Times in 2,153 Posts

Hey dave9600, we don't go deleting our posts here. Now you've messed up the thread. Please don't do that again. Thank you.