Thread: XTS5000R...How to tell if its actually a Ruggedized Radio?

Thanks

Default XTS5000R...How to tell if its actually a Ruggedized Radio?

Hi Everyone,

Been trolling (looking) on fleaBay at radios on there...for something to do really...

Am I am bit confused with normal XTS5K's and XTS5KR's.

Now, if a seller shows the rear of the radio (no battery), you can see a FM Approved Radio with the "Gas Port", is that classed as a XTS5000R (as in Ruggedized)?

Thing is, on a particular ad I've seen, I see the FM Approved Label and "Gas Port" but the case with the label on the front up the top, doesn't say XTS5000R, just XTS5000. Is it because they have cheaped out (possibly from converting up to a M3) and just got a "new" 5000 case instead of paying the extra for an actual "R" case....

Hopefully this makes sense, its early in the morning writing this up.....

Thanks guys.

Thanks

With all the parts swapping, case changing, parts built radios out there now days. Unless you have the radio factory fresh or have it serviced by a MSS that has the proper tools to certify that its been tested to the R standards.. You can just assume that its not up to ruggedized spec.

W2WP No Longer Registered

Quote Originally Posted by fozz3d View Post
    Hi Everyone,

Been trolling (looking) on fleaBay at radios on there...for something to do really...

Am I am bit confused with normal XTS5K's and XTS5KR's.

Now, if a seller shows the rear of the radio (no battery), you can see a FM Approved Radio with the "Gas Port", is that classed as a XTS5000R (as in Ruggedized)?

Thing is, on a particular ad I've seen, I see the FM Approved Label and "Gas Port" but the case with the label on the front up the top, doesn't say XTS5000R, just XTS5000. Is it because they have cheaped out (possibly from converting up to a M3) and just got a "new" 5000 case instead of paying the extra for an actual "R" case....

Hopefully this makes sense, its early in the morning writing this up.....

Thanks guys.
    Even if it has all what you think are "labels", do a search on this site of "fakes", make sure they are the real deal.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,486 Times in 446 Posts

The vent port is also on non-submersible housings. It's not a way to tell if your particular radio actually is an "R" unless, as others said, you bought it new from Motorola, or it's been serviced by a shop with the proper vacuum pump to test the integrity of the sealing system. "R" radios should have the main O-ring replaced regularly, and housings should always be checked for any cracks or breaches, and only proper opening tools used to gain access as improper tools can mar the surface of the sealing area.

Alpha is offline T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,519 Times in 736 Posts

I believe what happened was they ran out of the non-"R" type back plates, so they started supplying the "R" type ones with the gas ports for both "R" and non-"R" models. This really means that other than labels and not being pressure tested, the non-"R" models are identical to the "R" ones.

The only other differences besides gas port and sticker(s) I ever saw was for the XTS3000R's, which had a small screw at the bottom of the case by the latch that was not present on the non-"R" type radios but in the XTS5000's they dropped the extra screw.