Thread: XTS3000...High Pitched Tone in Transmission.

Thanks

Default XTS3000...High Pitched Tone in Transmission.

Hi Everyone,

Got some issues with my old faithful XTS3000 M3.

In a analogue transmission (listening to my self though another radio), I can hear a very high pitch tone, whilst holding the PTT and shaking the radio, the pitch of the tone goes up and down (like its sick), press one of the side buttons to light the screen up (still pressing the PTT) and the tone goes lower...

...now here the thing, pull the battery off, put it back on, do the same thing, the tone isn't there anymore, turn the radio off and back on, its back again.

FYI...I am not running a high PL on it.

ALSO!.....Recently it went into FAIL 01/82, left the battery off for a few days and powered it up last night and it came back to life with a ERROR 01/02 and FAIL 001 and the screen came up with all weird characters on it, managed to put a saved CP back in (normally, not forced) and its working again but still with the tone going on the in the background of my transmission.

I haven't tried P25 yet to see if it does it that way.

Just wondering if you guys have any ideas whats going on with it, VOCON or something?

Thanks!

Thanks

sounds like some type of prossor issue. Its not starting up correctly or its loading garbage while operating. I would look for a cold solderjoint and check for poor grounds in the unit.

Thanks

Try putting a small piece of electrical tape over the center contact of the battery connections. This battery sense? Line causes a high pitch noise on tx in my radio. If anyone knows the proper fix / ECN for this please post it here. I've lived with it for years. Mine's a panter radio so I can't exactly depot it...

spectreman No Longer Registered

Default XTS3000 Tx Tone

Hi guys & Slim.
    I have the exact same problem with my 3000 ! Covered the battery centre contact, & the tone on Tx dissappears.
    Are you guys using Impress battery packs ? Seems that the Impress batteries are not 100% compatable with the 3000 radios. Impress batteries came out some time after the 3000 radio first appeared. The centre battery contact carries data. Sounds as if this data is the tone on the Tx audio.
    Actually, just thought of something else. If you guys are using Impress batteries, have they been initialised in the Impress charger ? I did not do this for mine, as I did not have the Impress charger. Might have to do some more testing with my radio.
    The radio I have is not a Panter one either.

Cheers, Chris.

Thanks

Impress vs non-impress batteries did not matter. Panter vs non-Panter is not the issue.

During my research back then I discovered that certain early XTS3000 boards had this issue. There was a Moto service notice on it as I recall. Sorry I can not find any of my documentation from that time.

XTS3000's were a transition product from AstroSabers to the Astro25 line (xts5000, etc)
    I deemed the depot fee to fix it more expensive than the piece of tape. Check the tape every 3 months then go out and buy some adult beverages with the $$$ you saved!

Cheers, Slim

Thanks

I blocked the middle pin and confirm the tone goes away, turning it off and back on and it's still gone.

I do have a impress battery on it, with oldish firmware R7.10.01, funny enough without the tape the low battery is flashing and tape it, its gone....

So, I might send it off soon to get the firmware bumped up and the intermittent FAIL 01/82, ERROR 01/02 and FAIL 002 fixed.

Astro Spectra is offline T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks

Both the XTS3000 and XTS3500 have issues with RF getting in via the battery when Impress batteries are used. Often sounds like a motorboating burble or whine. The severity is very much dependent on the particular radio.
    It is a fine thing to be honest, but it is also very important to be right

Thanks

I don't have any non- impress batteries to test with anymore. Can any one else confirm it's only on impress batteries? My testing this was a LONG time ago...

Thanks

I've seen this occur with aftermarket batteries as well, so it's not limited to IMPRES batteries.

And someone mentioned not being able to depot their radio because it's a Panter unit - Well, if it's a 3000, my experience is that you can't depot it anymore anyway - support is pretty much done. I've been getting units kicked back due to no parts being available. I think they are on that "best effort" track of support at this point, if they haven't completely said "we're done."

And as far as the XTS 3000 being a transition product, that's not correct. The XTS 3500 was the transition product, but we all know how that went. Read: Saber SI.