Thread: Quantar release date/ASTRO system history.

Thanks

Default Quantar release date/ASTRO system history.

Hi Guys,

Bit of an off the cuff question - does anyone know roughly when the Quantar platform was first released? The original Motorola ASTRO system was released in 1991 according to Motorola's timeline, but I have a feeling the Quantar pre-dated this as it was used for Securenet systems prior to ASTRO being released..

Cheers,
    Matt
    Last edited by MattSR; Feb 12, 2013 at 04:54 AM.

Astro Spectra is offline T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks

I think the Quantar is over 20 years old but I'll check. I have firmware EPROMs dated 1994 ... and I think that is release 7 or 8!
    Last edited by Astro Spectra; Feb 12, 2013 at 04:43 AM.
    It is a fine thing to be honest, but it is also very important to be right

Thanks

Yep, I think it's at least that for sure:-

From --> http://www.motorolasolutions.com/US-...story/Timeline

1991: World's First Narrowband Digital Public Safety Radio System
    Motorola's ASTRO two-way radio system, introduced in the U.S. in 1991, was the world's first narrowband digital public safety radio system. The New Hampshire, USA, State Police began extended field tests of ASTRO portables, mobiles, base stations, consoles, and a wide area system in December 1992."

Thanks

For interest, I found a copy of the original Motorla ASTRO press release here:- http://www.motorolasolutions.com/web...ASTRO_1991.pdf

Of course, it all relates to VSELP era ASTRO, the granddaddy of the current P25 CAI..

On another note, I was reading a wikipedia article that says that ASTRO stands for "Air Ship To Rover Officer" - and that ROVER itself is an LAPD acronym for "Remote Out Of Vehicle Emergency Radios"...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MattSR View Post
    On another note, I was reading a wikipedia article that says that ASTRO stands for "Air Ship To Rover Officer" - and that ROVER itself is an LAPD acronym for "Remote Out Of Vehicle Emergency Radios"...
    I think thats a (b)acronym for LAPD's Astro Division, which provides air support.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LAPD_Air_Support_Division

Fun fact: Some people may remember a film called Blue Thunder that prominently featured the LAPD Astro division.