Thread: XTL5000

Thanks

Default XTL5000

I have an xtl5000, when powered up, keeps power cycling itself. Any have ideas?

R

Thanks
    Thanked 4,931 Times in 1,469 Posts

Yah, it's not working right. That's my idea as to what could be wrong.

Thanks

LOL mars

First thing I would chack is the battery. Rayray if you can provide a bit more info like if youy recently reprogrammed or updated etc we might be of more help.

Thanks

Really... aren't all radios suppose to do that? LOL Any ideas how to correct the issue other than sending it to the depot?

Thanks

It was an ebay special. Got the radio that way. I can't seem to read or write to the radio, since it keeps power cycling.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 579 Posts

General troubleshooting technique applies: Isolate Symptoms by Simplification/Elimination of Subsystems. Try powering up the radio without any option/encryption boards, if present. Try with a different display head and cable. Once you get to just the bare bones radio by itself as the source of the problem, it's most likely the CPU/controller board. To see if it might be firmware or codeplug related, try going into bootloader mode and see if the persistent reset continues. If it does it's almost certain the controller hardware is bad.

Thanks

Hopefully the ebay seller told you it was sick. Maybe he will tell you what he was trying to do when he lobotamised it.

Thanks

This radio belongs to a friend which just wanted a working radio. Unfortunately when he received it, it sat around for 6 weeks before he checked it. (idiot) I've tried multiple control heads with no luck, tried flash zapping it, It will not read or write, I'm just kinda lost at this time. I think the cpu is shot..... (at least its not mine)

Thanks

I think Alpha has hit the issue on the head the controller has been corrupted
    do this
    try going into bootloader mode and see if the persistent reset continues
    it still is not too late to email the seller. tell him your not pissed (even if you are LOL I would be). you simply need to get whatever history you can about the unit. Ask for any archives of when the unit was working, the last software version used, firmware versions etc. It is possible that the unit was being updated when it was interupted. Most probably someone was trying to force a bad/ mismatched codeplug to the unit. I messed up a spectra this way and had to have an expert do brain surgery on it to fix it (its now working better than it ever did).

Thanks

I tried putting the radio in boot loader mode but still continues to reset itself....I'll have the buyer of the radio contact the seller to see what info can be provided, if any.
    Thanks for the help guys...

Thanks

It's a hardware problem which was likely caused by an electrostatic discharge of some type, during the flashport process. (firmware upgrade or radio programming)

I've seen this happen numerous times. I have been unable to repair the radios afflicted with this problem. I've replaced all related semiconductors and support ICs; it did not fix the problem. Other ICs are NOT available from Moto. It's as if they're depot-only items -- and I'm not talking about the flash memory...which is likely fine, btw.

I'm not a fan of the XTL mobile. I actually consider it an unreliable, prone-to-failure, POS. My own personal 380-470 O5 took a fatal "shock" during a simple key-loading process about two years ago. Nothing out of the ordinary -- all original Moto hardware involved. No goofy "rigged" setups.

The XTL is also a piece of crap in terms of repair, as it's all one board. No sub-boards or modularized components. (like a Spectra). If one area/circuit fails, the whole board is crap. Nearly impossible to troubleshoot by swapping modularized circuits.

Not to stray off-topic too much, but if your require ASTRO25 trunking as a feature, I highly recommend you check out the ASTRO Spectra Plus vocon upgrade. The part number for the board is HLN6837E. The "E" revision (latest) is 8MB and supports the latest firmware. Much more reliable and easier to service than the XTL. The only downside, of course, is smaller bandsplits on V/U, and no 700 MHz support.

There is/was several 4M AS+ 800 MHz radios on eBay as of late. Prices are very good. Less than $200 from what I remember.

If you acquire a AS+ vocon (even a 4M will do), I'm happy to provision it for you for whatever band you need to use it with. I also sell ASTRO Spectra Plus UCM modules, if you require secure operation. All algorithms supported. mars@p25.ca

The AS+ programs with ASTRO25 Mobile CPS.

Thanks

Thanks for your input. I'm guessing the radio is hosed...A Mike's hard lemonade kinda sounds good about now....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rayray View Post
    Thanks for your input. I'm guessing the radio is hosed...A Mike's hard lemonade kinda sounds good about now....
    I did some of my best work with a Mike's. Good ****. Not a girlie drink, no matter what anyone says.

Thanks

Dayton 2011....

Thanks

You spy! I knew it! Damn communist bastard! If I see you again, I'm going to show you the moon. Again!

Thanks

The moons will be shining bright. Unfortunately I will not be attending this. Have fun this year.... ;-)

Thanks

Aww, damn. If your friends are going, tell them they're more than welcome to chill out with us. All is good. Email mars@p25.ca for contact info.