Thread: Conventional or TRBO

Hootis No Longer Registered

Default Conventional or TRBO

Hi again,

First, Mars thanks or a great site. Seems to attract a very cerebral group...kind of the polar opposite of RadioReference.com. Give yourselves a pat on the back.

Monday I began the process of working with a frequency coordinator to license a VHF frequency in my town for my farm. (I chose VHF because I'm a fireman and have to carry a vhf radio anyway.) I figured I'd install a simple conventional repeater, but the coordinator suggested I license digital at the same time. That got me thinking about just installing a digital repeater...even if I operate as analog initially. I'm leaning towards TRBO instead of P25. (Even though I just bought an XTS5000....doh!)

Can you guys help me weigh some pros and cons. The things that attract me to digital (if I understand this correctly) are TRBO effectively gives me two channels on my frequency pair because of TDMA. The second is that it gives me some additional privacy, although I've been reading some of your discussions which indicate its not impossible to decode and monitor TRBO transmissions. (Security's not really too big issue for me, BTW....not too many hay thieves running around local farms around here!). The last reason I've been thinking about gong digital, is to start learning the pros and cons for what I expect will be the transition our small city will be going through in the future. This is kind of where security interests me. HIPPA is something our firefighters and more so EMS personnel are dealing with daily now. Law suits abound and everybody is trying to mitigate liability. Secure comms would further that goal. Further, our city police transmit in the open (sometimes using scramblers) and are interested in more security. I kind of think it would be fun to use my radio project as a pilot program.

So....I apologize in advance for any misunderstandings I have brought to the discussion. Fire away all.

Ryan

Do I need to go hang out with the 'special kids' on the short bus, over at RR? Ha!

Maybe another question to spark some conversation...

Personally, I don't need to go digital on my farm....at least not in the short term. I'm just interested in digital, and trying to pick a digital format to embrace and learn. Since I'm going to put up a repeater anyway...it seems like a good jumping off point.

I know P25 is deeply embedded in public safety, and Motorola targets their DMR offering toward business comms, but I've heard of several agencies implementing DMR.

I guess I'm trying to figure out if P25 is here to stay, or if DMR will give it a run for the money in the public safety sector. Thoughts?

Ryan

Thanks

Sorry, you will find that the board is the LEAST busy normally in the mornings.

For your farm I would go with TRBO, quite frankly it would be way more expensive to go p25. p25 is geared for public safety, but we have some ambulance companies running trbo and an entire county sheriff's dept just bought them as well. For the time being they are going to stay analog, but who knows. I can see the DMR offering start to creep into public safety because of its price point. You can buy a DMR radio for about what they are used to paying for a subscriber. The ones embracing p25 typically are the larger agencies or ones who are jumping on someone else's system.

And as far as interoperability, its been here for years, conventional analog...
    "Don't worry about what I am, cause I'm a state agent so what you need to do is make sure your doing the right thing **** boy" -J. Dewitte

Which is the dominant DMR offering? MotoTRBO, NXDN, or something else I'm unaware of?

Thanks

MotoTrbo is the dominant format around me.
    "Don't worry about what I am, cause I'm a state agent so what you need to do is make sure your doing the right thing **** boy" -J. Dewitte

Astro Spectra is offline T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks

While NXDN is a digital land mobile radio standard it is not the DMR standard, see:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_mobile_radio

DMR, particularly MotoTRBO, has grown rapidly recently boosted by the release 2 subscriber equipment. Users seem to love the bling of color displays while the wideband coverage and easy IP networking appeals to system operators. Sounds like a sales pitch...
    It is a fine thing to be honest, but it is also very important to be right

Astro Spectra is offline T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks

Last edited by Astro Spectra; Feb 13, 2013 at 08:05 PM.
    It is a fine thing to be honest, but it is also very important to be right

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hootis View Post
    ~ (I chose VHF because I'm a fireman and have to carry a vhf radio anyway.) ~ Ryan
    Not to state the obvious, but if you chose VHF because you didn't want to carry a second radio, doesn't going with TRBO kinda mean you would have to anyway?
    Andrew

Andrew,

I may be working under a misconception that VHF TRBO radios can also operate in conventional analog mode as well as digital. I'm also under the impression that they can scan both types of channels in the same scan group. Further, I think some repeaters can operate as digital, conventional or mixed mode. Am I wrong?

Thanks,
    Ryan

cyrus is offline Trailer Park Superintendent
    Thanks

Trbo radios with the exception of the sl7550 will do analog.
    Cyrus

Bubbles: I'd like to see that Red Blue Green c***sucker put one of those together, duct-tapin' it.

Thanks

And the repeaters can do mixed mode but require and entitlement to do it.

Astro,
    Thanks for the Wireless-Mag article....a couple years old but it helped. It kinda seems to me that TRBO will follow VHS and Blue-ray and become the standard.

All,
    So my evolving plan is now...I will buy a TRBO repeater that I can operate in mixed mode. (Any model recommendations?)
    I'll license a VHF frequency with both conventional narrowband and TRBO emissions designators, and install in conventional mode. Then as I switch equipment out, I transition to digital.
    Does this sound like a solid path?

Thanks Again,
    Ryan

Thanks

Your path is indeed solid, for reliability steer clear of the xpr8300.