Thread: PCC 2.10.2 use with 5100ES having Ver 6 firmware

n1oty No Longer Registered

Default PCC 2.10.2 use with 5100ES having Ver 6 firmware

Background:

I am having so much fun playing with some EFJ 900 MHZ radio's that came out of Texas, that I decided to jump on a deal for a pair of 5100ES version 6 radios in UHF with accessories. Both radios are model 242-512A-433JH6. Although I have very limited experience with EFJ radio's, I was expecting that I would need to use a different, newer version of PCC to read/write to these radio's. I only have PCC 2.10.2 at the moment for programming the 900 MHZ radio's. For laughs, I decided to try reading the UHF radio's with PCC 2.10.2 and was surprised when it read the radio's fine!! I then proceeded to program in a P25 frequency and it wrote fine. I tested the radio's against my Moto XTS2500 and the P25 worked fine. So, obviously, 2.10.2 can write these V6 radio's with their current firmware. Speaking of which, the file format is 5.9, the DSP is 4.8.2, the controller is 6.2.11, boot load is 6.4 and SEM is 3.4 on these UHF radio's. This compares to ff 5.10, DSP 4.13.1, controller 4.14.5, boot load 4.4 and SEM 3.4 on the 900 radio's. I am supposing that the file formats being so close is the reason that PCC 2.10.2 worked for programming, but that is just a wild assumption on my part. In any event, I'm just pleased to be able to immediately use these radio's when I was expecting a delay while I acquired newer firmware and proper PCC from EFJ.

Now for my big questions if there are any EFJ guru's hanging around here. What is the current proper firmware and PCC for these UHF radio's?? Will a firmware bump ruin the ability of PCC 2.10.2 to program these particular radio's??

Thanks,
    John

Thanks

When the file format changes that is when you run into compatibility issues. As a rule of thumb, FOR THE ES SERIES ONLY (V6.x.x) the middle number of PCC should be 2 higher than the middle number of the radio firmware.
    e.g. if the radio has 6.12.x firmware, you should use a PCC version 2.14.x
    As for the latest versions:
    5100 6.16.7
    5300 6.16.9
    PCC 2.18.6 (works on both radios)
    Note that this little info is only good for the ES platform. For X and older there is nothing as simple. You need to use the EFJ matrix secret decoder ring....

Hope that helps a little bit.

Thanks

I would highly recommend not using the x platform PCC with ES radios.

Thanks

There is no "X" platform PCC. PCC was used for all variations of the radios. PCC 2.10.2 was the last release for the X platform but is also supposed to be used on 6.8.x ES radios.
    The biggest issue comes in using a newer version of PCC on an older firmware radio. Since the new PCC will have many new updates and/or options that the older firmware in the radio won't know about.
    It can be really confusing as EFJ really didn't do a great job of managing that aspect of software releases in my opinion. Thus far they seem to be addressing it much better with VP600 and Armada programming software.

Thanks

Can I have one?

/Where did you find them? And can I also look there?

Thanks for all of the responses. Apparently, these are early version 6 radio's. I'd like to approach EFJ for legit firmware bump and legit PCC that works with current firmware. Do they have a program similar to my MOL account with Motorola or are they difficult to deal with??? If nothing else, they are certainly enjoyable as is, but I'd like to bump up legitimately.

I don't think there are anymore of these radio's available. The person had two radio's complete with speaker mic's, batteries, carrying cases and one EFJ charger. I bought the set.

John

Thanks

They discontinued the 900MHz line a little while back but the firmware for them is the same.
    The program to update the firmware is really easy to run, all you need is a programming cable. They will sell just about anyone the code updater. I think list price is around 40-50 bucks. Pretty cheap if you ask me.
    Getting the correct PCC is where it can get tricky. They don't just give that away for free. If you can find a dealer to purchase it, that would be the best route since they'd get dealer pricing. List price for a single copy of PCC is around 250.

OK. I'll hunt around eastern Mass for a dealer, although I don't believe one exists in this area. Is there a dealer you could recommend that would let me order the firmware upgrade and latest PCC for these version 6 UHF radio's?? Feel free to PM or email the info if you are concerned about posting publicly or if it might go counter to forum rules in this regard. I just want to keep everything on the up-and-up.

I am very comfortable actually upgrading the firmware and PCC programming EFJ radio's. I have already firmware bumped six of the 900 radio's that came out of Texas and programmed them up fine, including adding AES keys to a couple of them.

If I understand you correctly, list price for a firmware bump and latest PCC should cost roughly $300.

Thanks,
    John

Quote Originally Posted by IntrinsicallySafe View Post
    They discontinued the 900MHz line a little while back but the firmware for them is the same.
    The program to update the firmware is really easy to run, all you need is a programming cable. They will sell just about anyone the code updater. I think list price is around 40-50 bucks. Pretty cheap if you ask me.
    Getting the correct PCC is where it can get tricky. They don't just give that away for free. If you can find a dealer to purchase it, that would be the best route since they'd get dealer pricing. List price for a single copy of PCC is around 250.

Thanks

If you are comfortable paying list price I am sure EFJ will gladly accept your credit card and place the order.
    As for dealers, the closest I could find are in Hamden, CT; Troy, NY; and Rochester, NY

Thanks again for this info. I managed to get home a bit early today, so I started with EFJ Tech Support. They did not want to sell me anything, but instead offered phone numbers for a dealer in CT and a dealer in MD (supposedly the two closest). I've already called the dealer in CT and I thought the conversation was somewhat bizarre. I expected that he should be able to rattle off a ballpark price, but he sounded as if he was utterly clueless as to current firmware/software versions and current price, saying he'd have to "get back to me". That was twenty minutes ago and I haven't heard anything yet. This prompted me to look at this particular firms web site and what I found did NOT instill confidence. It is plastered with Motorola this and Mototrbo that, but they have NOTHING to indicate any association with EFJ. Not a mention, not a single logo. My impression is that they are probably clueless as to the product and the pricing. He is undoubtedly on the phone to EFJ HQ as I type this.

In any event, the radio's I have work fine and program fine with what I have. My search for a COMPETENT EFJ dealer continues.

If I ran my business this way, I wouldn't stay in business very long.

Thanks again,
    John

Quote Originally Posted by IntrinsicallySafe View Post
    If you are comfortable paying list price I am sure EFJ will gladly accept your credit card and place the order.
    As for dealers, the closest I could find are in Hamden, CT; Troy, NY; and Rochester, NY

As an update, I did receive a call back from the CT dealer late yesterday with a price quote of $425 for both updated firmware files and updated PCC. Based on the info from IS in this thread, I think I'll call another dealer for a price quote. I'm not a cheap SOB and I'm more than happy to pay legit prices for this, but something does not smell right with this price quote.

John

Thanks

I just checked EFJ's online pricing
    List prices for each:
    Code updater $40
    PCConfigure $350
    They have bumped up the prices a bit I see, at least from the last I checked which was maybe year and half ago. Sorry if I misled you about the pricing, it was not my intention.

I appreciate that follow up info. I was able to see a document online with current EFJ list prices and it confirms your info on list prices at $350 and $40. I'm not sure what the extra $35 is for. I can't envision shipping costing that much. I think I'll contact a second dealer for pricing and compare quotes. I think that is the most sensible course. At least I have fully functional radio's that I can program with what I have.

Thanks again,
    John