Thread: 900 mhz 5100 died

kd8gua No Longer Registered

Default 900 mhz 5100 died

One of my 5100s that I picked up from Texas has died. Every once in a while if I leave it on and scanning, it would freeze. No TX, rx, or anything. I couldn't even power it down. I'd have to remove the battery to shut it off.

I remedied this the first time by opening up the radio and pretty much resetting all of the boards and putting it back together. Well it did it again a few nights back. I tried doing the exact same thing as before, except this time when I turned it on, the radio got to the firmware screen and let out a long tone. I shut it off, pulled the battery, replaced the battery, turned it on, and nothing. The radio no longer turns on.

I've swapped rear boards with my other 900 radio and the rear boards from the now dead radio work just fine in the working 900 radio, and the working radio's rear boards made no difference in the dead radio. Nothing works on the now dead radio.

My next step is to swap front/display boards with the working radio. What happened to my now dead radio???

kd8gua No Longer Registered

Some more information: the radio will turn back on if you remove the battery for about 10-15 minutes. Then it will function for about 5 minutes, and then freeze up. I have not yet tried to read or write to the radio in this condition, but it even freezes in boot load mode!

Alpha is offline T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,531 Times in 738 Posts

It definitely sounds defective. Try contacting the seller and see if they won't swap it out or just give you another unit. I believe another user mentioned here they did this with another defective unit and they were receptive.

Thanks

I had no response to my request. However that was back when these cost $20 so I just used my extra for parts.

It generally means the User Interface board is bad. That's happened on a couple of my units for various reasons.

You can also save the housing to swap with a Model II UHF and then gain full keypad