Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TRBO firmware/CPS bugs

Thanks
    Thanked 8,701 Times in 2,391 Posts

Default TRBO firmware/CPS bugs

Product Enhancement Requests & Other Minor Bugs:

I would like to see the following enhancements made to MOTOTRBO CPS and subscriber firmware, which would enhance performance and use of the products. Other minor bugs are also listed:

- If subscriber is transmitting digital (IPSC, single site, etc.) and receives a TX interrupt from another subscriber, they do not hear RX audio until PTT is released. If Alert Tones are disabled, and subscriber is not looking at the screen/operating in dark environment, they are not aware a TX interrupt has been received, and do not know to release PTT to receive the interrupt audio.

- The minimum Alert Time for a Call Alert is 5 seconds. There needs to be a "one alert" setting. The timer cannot be decreased to one second.

- The minimum Alert Time for a received Text Message is 1 minute. This needs to be adjustable to a lower duration, or "one alert".

- The backlight feature on the XPR7550 is buggy. When a button programmed with the backlight feature is activated, the light quickly flickers on, then off. It must be activated a second time to enable it.

- Transmit Audio AGC (internal and external) on analog does not work whatsoever in 2.0 series portable radios. The Analog AGC on/off toggle has no effect. It did work in older firmware. Digital AGC works. Analog AGC tests were conducted on 12.5/20/25 KHz channels. Same results. 2.0 series mobile radios were not tested.

- The ability to use multiple Radio IDs (RIDs). Some subscribers may use multiple systems, all requiring a unique ID. This should be a priority item.

- A Scan (enable/disable) Alert Tone would be very beneficial. The ascending/descending Alert Tone implemented in the ASTRO25 and APX-family radios is desired in the TRBO line.

- A RX Clear Alert Tone, user-selectable, in a privacy-enabled channel, would be beneficial for the same reasons outlined in recent online publications, critical of P25 subscriber security.

syntrx No Longer Registered

I have some issues myself:

The "sample" XPR5550 codeplug found in the CPS 8.5 package is a developmental codeplug.

Cloning this codeplug into a factory new, production radio running R02.00.03 results in functions like permanent monitor not working, menus being inaccessible and the like.

The only way to fix this is to clone the original (or otherwise, a factory) codeplug back into the radio.

CPS should check for inconsistencies between the target radio and the sample codeplug for issues likely to cause bizarre behaviour and prevent cloning if they are detected, or otherwise CPS should just come with sample codeplugs that are actually found in factory radios.

There's no way to completely disable the use of MDC or QCII on a per personality basis -- regardless of what the RX and TX signalling systems are set to, both systems appear in the contact list. If I don't have a use for a signalling system (such as QC2 in my case), I shouldnt have to select a signalling system before selecting the radio I want to contact.
    Last edited by syntrx; Feb 16, 2013 at 11:09 AM.

Thanks

NOTE: THIS BUG I FILED IS UNFOUNDED, DUE TO PROGRAMMING ERROR. SEE BELOW.

Bug Description:

Subscriber radios fail to unmute RX audio when receiving Enhanced Privacy secure Group Calls during scan, or after joining a call-in-progress. The bug does not apply to Basic Privacy calls.

Overview:

Manually changing channels to an active (in-progress) Enhanced Privacy call or late-scanning to the active Enhanced Privacy channel/scan-list member results in no received audio. Unmuted secure audio is only heard on the next/subsequent transmission. This condition also likely applies to Enhanced Privacy Private Calls, but this was not tested.

Devices Used for Verification of Bug:

The following radios and infrastructure were used to verify the bug condition:

Subscriber Radios:

Product: XPR7550 UHF
    Model: H56RDN9KA1AN
    Serials: 871TNPxxxx, 871TNPxxxx
    Firmware: R02.06.04
    Codeplug: R04.00.12
    Bootloader: R02.06.00
    CPS: 8.5
    Network Infrastructure:

Product: XPR8400 UHF
    Model: M27QPR9JA7BN
    Serials: 484TNYxxxx, 484TNYxxxx
    Firmware: R02.20.02
    Codeplug: R12.00.06
    Bootloader: R02.03.01
    CPS 8.5

Configuration:

Subscriber radios are programmed with IP Site Connect personalities. TDMA Slot 1, Color Code 6. Radio IDs are 10001 and 20001. The Group Call is 1000. Enhanced Channel Access is enabled. No GPS data or other data services. Enhanced Privacy is enabled, with a KID of 227.

Other subscriber channel settings are not relevant to the bug report, however I'm happy to provide codeplugs or detailed CPS reports upon request.

Both XPR8400s are using IP Site Connect with TDMA slots 1 and 2, Color Code 6, with Normal Messaging Delay.

The bug is not tied to TDMA slot 1 or 2, Radio IDs or Group Call values. The bug is replicated with various other Radio IDs, Group Call and TDMA Slot values.

Thanks

Wow. I'm surprised at the level of little annoyances that are in this radio. But they're minor, I guess... Good document.

How's the performance on analog? I hear the 6550's are pretty good. I'm considering buying a 7550 myself, but most machines are analog around here - thinking about setting up a TRBO machine soon. Any comments?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shag View Post
    Wow. I'm surprised at the level of little annoyances that are in this radio. But they're minor, I guess... Good document.
    The 7550 is less than a year old; minor bugs are to be expected. If Moto doesn't know about the bugs/issues, they can't fix them. Hopefully the document is well-received and they address them, in order of seriousness. Some items are only recommendations and not an actual flaw in the radio itself. SDRs are easy to tweak.

How's the performance on analog? I hear the 6550's are pretty good. I'm considering buying a 7550 myself, but most machines are analog around here - thinking about setting up a TRBO machine soon. Any comments?
    Analog performance is good. Just remember the 7550 is 12.5 KHz only, unless unlocked with the wideband EID. Mine is 12.5/20/25 and I'm very happy with performance.

The 6550 has the advantage with the SMA antenna connector, but this does not affect performance.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,008 Posts

I've got one quirk:

The annoying additional channel number display above the alpha channel tag that apparently has no relation to anything you type, can't be edited and can't be hidden. It's confusing as hell to the end used, when THEIR channel numbers don't happen to coincide, like when they have a channel pool....

Quote Originally Posted by com501 View Post
    I've got one quirk:

The annoying additional channel number display above the alpha channel tag that apparently has no relation to anything you type, can't be edited and can't be hidden. It's confusing as hell to the end used, when THEIR channel numbers don't happen to coincide, like when they have a channel pool....
    Depending on the channel layout, you can work around that by creating dummy channels in between the user's channel numbers, and setting those channels to invalid.

When the user scrolls through the channel list, the radio will skip the invalid channels, making it "look" like the radio's channel numbers and the user's own numbers line up.

Messy as hell though, especially when you have to create 50 or so fake channels!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,008 Posts

In my case, both my radio and the customer radios have more than 30 zones and more than 40 different channels in the channel pool for the various systems. ANOTHER reason for having multiple digital IDs, this is beginning to become nightmarish in managing IDs, another reason why I can't join DMARC. It's just impossible to carry one radio for ham, and one radio for everything else, especially when you consider that includes having to have two mobiles with different IDs.

cyrus is offline Trailer Park Superintendent
    Thanks

If you request it, DMR-MARC will assign you a compatible ID.
    Cyrus

Bubbles: I'd like to see that Red Blue Green c***sucker put one of those together, duct-tapin' it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by com501 View Post
    I've got one quirk:

Here here!

I hate that. Wish they used that area to display something meaningful like displaying the name of the current Zone

va3xft No Longer Registered

One item I would like to see changed is the minimum volume level for the 7550. Sometimes I want to use the radio in a place where it would be inappropriate for it to be loud (i.e. my office), but even the minimum volume setting is too loud. Perhaps Motorola could match the same minimum volume settings as those used for the 6550, which can be turned down to almost silent, or at least provide the option for this.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by va3xft View Post
    One item I would like to see changed is the minimum volume level for the 7550. Sometimes I want to use the radio in a place where it would be inappropriate for it to be loud (i.e. my office), but even the minimum volume setting is too loud. Perhaps Motorola could match the same minimum volume settings as those used for the 6550, which can be turned down to almost silent, or at least provide the option for this.
    It sounds like you have a misconfiguration in your codeplug settings. Please see screenshot.

If it's not working on your unit, what firmware/CPS are you using? I'm speaking of CPS 8.5 and firmware R02.06.04.
    Attached Images Attached Images

CPS v8.0 & FW R02.04.01

When I adjust the CPS setting to match your posting above, the volume can be turned down and then to a point, it disappears. I'm suggesting the lowest volume setting go even lower before this occurs. Or in the case of the Minimum Speaker Volume Level, perhaps something smaller, like -40dB or -50dB.

Cheers!

Don
    VA3XFT

Another item that just came to me is that when the radio is programmed, it always reverts to the last Zone in the list, rather than the last Zone is use. Another minor annoyance.

Don
    VA3XFT

Thanks

Try updating your firmware. It looks quite dated. It might help with the volume problem.

Thanks

Just a brief update as to the bug report:

Motorola TRBO product group contacted me regarding the bug I filed, which involves audio holes during reception of Enhanced Privacy group/private calls, during scan or late-joins. They are investigating.

As for the other bugs I reported (summarized) from posts you guys have made, they are willing to review them, but I have to do some more paperwork and officially submit it. I will do this and keep you all posted.

Thanks

Thanks

Unfortunately, the bug report I filed regarding audio holes during the RX of Enhanced Privacy secure calls, is invalid.

Motorola reviewed the codeplugs and determined the "Enhanced Privacy" setting needs to be enabled in the repeater, too. The TRBO repeater does not passively repeat digital voice traffic like a Quantar does. For whatever the reason, audio holes are the result if this setting isn't enabled.

I had incorrectly assumed the Security setting in the 8400 (repeater) was for base station/dispatcher operation, where local RX audio from accessory connector was required. (Enable security, enter keys, RX the audio from rear port.)

I hereby nominate myself for RetardReference.com "Post of the Day"

Astro Spectra is offline T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks

Not at all, who knew the XPR repeaters would need to know? However, given they are cobbled together from a couple of mobiles maybe it's not surprizing. Wonder if the same applies to the MTR3000? And I wonder how users using privacy think it stinks compared to plain voice when it's down to a tick box in the repeater setup...
    It is a fine thing to be honest, but it is also very important to be right

Thanks

The Basic privacy feature did not have this issue. Only Enhanced -- which is why this setting didn't appear to make any type of difference. my ignorance, I guess.

My logic was the setting affected base-station operation, much like the Quantar has base station options. If it's a digital repeater (passes input to output), then why does it need a flag set in the programming, to properly pass Enhanced privacy? Either way, it's 100% resolved and I was wrong.

Some of the CPS help boxes are somewhat confusing and don't offer much explanation as to what an option does. It would be nice to see some elaboration in future releases. I am not blaming Motorola for my own stupidity, however.

Astro Spectra is offline T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks

I think some of the repeater setting labels are strangely worded, as if they were done by software people rather than radio people. Let's hope they do a better job of documentation when AES is introduced.
    It is a fine thing to be honest, but it is also very important to be right

Thanks

I really hope they allow multiple IDs, There are a few different systems I have access to, but they require specific IDs assigned by them, and it would be impossible to get them all to use the same one.

As far as I'm concerned it's a documentation fail in CPS, rather than user error.

I've been trying to figure out what the purpose of the privacy settings on the repeater was for a while, with no luck. The machine won't let you do conventional dispatch operation from the wireline side, only phone patch, and even only in the clear. The CPS help doesn't tell you anything about the purpose of this setting in the repeater context.

But now, I have my answer!

Thanks

Didn't want to start a whole new thread on this but ​I've scoured the TRBO CPS and cannot find a field to extend the backlight time. I'd love to be able to set it to infinite if possible.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Avery Johannssenn View Post
    Didn't want to start a whole new thread on this but ​I've scoured the TRBO CPS and cannot find a field to extend the backlight time. I'd love to be able to set it to infinite if possible.

Couldn't agree more!

Thanks

Or just have it light up when there's activity on the channel.