Thread: QUANTAR questions

SteveG2012 No Longer Registered

Cool QUANTAR questions

Hi everyone, I have acouple of questions about the QUANTAR system. I was just wondering what the difference is between a regular QUANTAR 6809 trunked site and a Quantar IntelliRepeater trunked site. In a SmartZone system, can any ASTRO or ASTRO 25 compliant site controller be used as the Zone Controller?

SteveG2012 No Longer Registered

Quote Originally Posted by SteveG2012 View Post
    Hi everyone, I have acouple of questions about the QUANTAR system. I was just wondering what the difference is between a regular QUANTAR 6809 trunked site and a Quantar IntelliRepeater trunked site. In a SmartZone system, can any ASTRO or ASTRO 25 compliant site controller be used as the Zone Controller?
    I misspoke about the Zone Controller. What I meant to ask is, what options are required to connect a Zone Controller to the remote sites in an IntelliRepeater SmartZone network?

Thanks

Zone Controller (ZC) to Prime Site Controller (PSC) links are generally T-carrier links in a SmartZone environment (SZ 3.0 / 4.1). PSC links to Remote Site Controller (ReSC) links are also T-1.

The T-1 connections run between Telecommunications Network Servers (TeNSr) channel banks that break the T-1 circuits back out to things like audio, serial data, etc.

The actual data links between the ZC, PSC and ReSC are 4800 baud serial connections, but they are run over T-1 circuits along with a myriad of other connections that are also required.

Quantar 6809 units differ from Quantar Intellirepeater (IR) units in that the IR units have special firmware on board the Station Control Module (SCM) that allow several Quantar IR stations to be connected together via Ethernet and operate as a part of the trunking system without a central controller.

IR sites cannot be part of a simulcast, they are single-site systems connected directly to the ZC with no PSC in-between.

Quantar 6809 sites can be part of a simulcast system, or standalones. They can use original 6809 site controller hardware (SZ 3.0), or newer MTC 3600 site controller hardware (SZ 4.1). The Quantar sees either as a 6809 regardless of what the actual hardware is.

The ZC in a SmartZone network is entirely different from the PSC and ReSC. In SmartZone 4.1, they all use the Motorola CPX 2000 chassis, which is an industrial computer chassis, but the actual cards that contain the CPU's and ancillary hardware are totally different.

In SmartZone 3.0, all the database servers (ATR, ZSS, ZDS, etc) are individual HP servers, with the ZC being a proprietary multiprocessor server developed in Europe (called the IMP). IMP's are extraordinarily difficult to find pieces of hardware that suffered from their share of problems with power supplies, etc.

The MTC 3600 is an example of a controller that can be either a PSC or ReSC or SMARTNET controller depending on how it's configured hardware and software wise. It's a CPX 2000 chassis that's configured to be an MTC 3600 with appropriate software and hardware.

The MZC 3000 (which is a SmartZone 4.1 ZC, that replaced the older SZ 3.0 IMP) is also a CPX 2000 chassis, but it's vastly different in both hardware and software configurations.

The CPX 2000 chassis is also used for things like the database servers (Air Traffic Router, Network Management Database, Zone Statistical Server, User Configuration Server, etc). Generally several of these servers are co-located together as separate processors within a common CPX 2000 chassis.

Now, when you get into current systems such as Astro25, the game changes vastly. Everything becomes packet-switched instead of circuit-switched.

Servers become Sun Netra Commercial Off-The-Shelf (COTS) machines, with HP servers running a lot of the stuff in-between (database servers, security servers, etc).

The links GENERALLY remain T-1, but instead of terminating into TeNSr channel banks, they terminate into ST2500 routers that convert everything to IP. I could write a book that, so I won't go into details in this post.

Hope this helps answer some of your questions.
    Last edited by d119; Feb 22, 2013 at 06:57 PM.