Thread: Strange mic?

Thanks

Default Strange mic?

Hey guys, I came across an interesting mobile mic. Model number is QVMN4009A. Looks like a typical mic, except the PTT has two positions 'S' and 'P'. Mic connector looks MCX90/100/1000. Attached are some pics. Anyone know what this was used for? I was hoping to adapt it to allow me to use two radios with the same mic.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,542 Times in 2,357 Posts

P & S probably stand for Primary and Secondary. As in radios.

Neat how there's two hangup-clip contacts there.

Definitely a SP product of some sort.

Thanks

I don't see the two hangup clip contacts you speak of?

The guy I bought it from said he used to work for CN Rail - maybe they had some kind of guard radio or something?

Thanks
    Thanked 8,542 Times in 2,357 Posts

Ooops. My bad. I mistook the pic of the element for the ass-end (usually a weight) of the mic. LOL retard of the day comment by yours truly!

Thanks

It's Family Day, we'll chalk it up to being on vacation mode

I highly doubt it, but would Motorola Parts ID be able to look up the part number? Can't find reference to it anywhere.

Thanks

Interesting - California Highway Patrol (CHP) has had these types of mics at some point. Not sure if they still do.

For the CHP, the PTT engaged either normal or talk-around. E.g., in normal mode the TX would key up on the base's input freq. In talk-around mode, the TX would key on the base's transmit frequency for car-to-car comms. No reaching down to the radio to switch modes, just key the PTT as needed.

Not saying this is a CHP mic (they've been using GE for their low-band mobiles, IIRC, plus these were made in Canada), but that's how they were (or are used).

Thanks

This is a good link to the CHP radio with that microphone with C (Car to Car) and S (Station) for PTT.

http://www.wb6nvh.com/CHP/CHP3.htm

Thanks
    Thanked 2,078 Times in 666 Posts

This is a bit off topic, but still relates to CHP equipment. WB6NVH's site has a link to a Rockwell Collins brochure for the iForce integrated public safety solution. Look at way cool console, as well as what they stuffed into the trunk of the vehicle!

iForce

Thanks

Washington State Patrol used a similar setup with Syntor X9000 radios, with a dual PTT, but I don't think this microphone is from that system.

Thanks

Someone once told me that the RCMP had those mics on their MCX1000s.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shag View Post
    Someone once told me that the RCMP had those mics on their MCX1000s.
    I'd bet that's what it came from. Being a Canadian part number, it's certainly not off of the WSP radios, and for that matter, those were Syntor X9000's that use a Systems 9000 microphone connector.

Thanks

Let's say my source has a high level of credibility...

I was under the impression that the rocker switch was a clear/secure PTT.

Living in a van, down by the Little River in Alabama
    Thanks

I'd say I got my mic from you, except yours is an A and mine is a B. For giggles, I plugged it into another MCX1000, not the one it arrived with. The behavior was normal for PTT, and "ON HOOK" or "OFF HOOK" for the auxiliary PTT. This tells us right away that the aux PTT uses the HUB line, and I know from recent research that the MCX1000 has a separate Mic Mute Switch internally that will quiet the Mic Hi line when certain modes are used (i.e.: SecureNet or Option TX Audio In). The MCX1000 can also be programmed to select between front or rear mic as well.

Thanks

Hmm, so perhaps "PTT" and "Secure"? Mine didn't come with a radio, I'm curious - the MCX you got with it, what was the band split?

Living in a van, down by the Little River in Alabama
    Thanks

both vhf range 2, 146-176, one trunk mount, one dashmount. both UXA radios but lacking the actual hardware or extensions/long case. Haven't gotten any further than that with them.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by exkalibur View Post
    Hmm, so perhaps "PTT" and "Secure"? Mine didn't come with a radio, I'm curious - the MCX you got with it, what was the band split?

Thats what I was think one was clear and the other way was secure. It also could be one way for simplex and the other for repeater.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by d119 View Post
    Washington State Patrol used a similar setup with Syntor X9000 radios, with a dual PTT, but I don't think this microphone is from that system.
    Washington State Patrol used a similar mic, but it had an "S" and an "A" on the PTT.
    The "S" was for Selected
    The "A" was for Area
    The X9000's had an auxiliary single channel receiver piggybacked on them, which listed to only local area traffic
    When the "A" side of the PTT was keyed the x9000 transmitted on the local "Area" channel that was programmed in the x9000 for TX, when the "S" side of the PTT was keyed the x9000 transmitter went to the Selected channel that was displayed on the control head at the time (selected).
    I just wanted to elaborate on the other post regarding this.

Thanks

The coolest thing about these mics is the element.

I got an S/P version from a cop's son, back in the days when e-waste and surplus was handled by directing employees to take the junk home and throw it away. Mine was used on a micor.

How would this mic work on an X9000? SIU or special firmware?