Thread: XTS-2500 HELP with Scanning Astro Talk Groups-ASAP!! You guys are the EXPERTS-Codeplug needed! PLEASE

njemt437 No Longer Registered

Default XTS-2500 HELP with Scanning Astro Talk Groups-ASAP!! You guys are the EXPERTS-Codeplug needed! PLEASE

I need your help!!! You are all experts at this. I have an XTS-2500. I am attempting to listen to the Morris County, NJ Astro 25 Trunking system. I have the latest CPS software and attempted to program the radio with certain talk groups. I found the NAC code of 115 and I am able to hear transmissions. However, this is the problem. I am hearing everyone, even when I am on a selected talk group. I have no desire to talk on the system since it is not my intentions. I want to strap the talk groups onto the conventional side of the radio. I know I am doing something wrong, but cannot figure it out. I spent all night staying up last night working on this codeplug, with no luck!!!! I only want to listen to 3 talk groups. EMS 2 Response, MUN PD4 and FD Resp 5. What is interesting is that when the radio is not scanning I see TG numbers appearing and they do not match what RR talk groups list. For instance, when the radio is set on one frequency I see TG: 2119 Long Hill PD on my display, Long Hill EMS TG:2163 and Long Hill FD TG: 2145, nothing like what the RR talk groups appear to be such as numbers like 33904. So I am confused. Maybe if any of you have a spare moment and would be kind enough to write me a codeplug for my radio I could not thank you enough. Since we switched to the County, it is going to be helpful knowing where and what my ambulance status is. Coming back from the hospital or responding to the call, etc. Currently we are dispatched on analog conventional with our pagers 476.2875. Then we switch to the Astro 25 system for all radio traffic. Like I said, all I want to do is monitor my Ambulance, PD and FD.

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=1319 is the information on the Morris County System. I know for a fact that when Long Hill PD transmit, the TG appearing is 2119 on the display and that is not the Radio ID #. Other PD agencies appear also 2117, 2163, etc. I hate having to monitor everyone in the county and it appears my changing of the Talk Groups I have programmed does not effect the radio. I put in all the frequencies that are not control channels for Z-1 South and Z-4 IR East. Since the system ID is 8911 and the connect tone is 116.13 NAC code 115 works. I originally had F7E, but that will open everything. So, can anyone help me write a codeplug so I can monitor ONLY Talk Groups I listed above? Writing this code plug would be so much appreciated. I know I am checking a box incorrectly . My Flashcode is up to par with trunking, but I have not used any of the "Trunking Settings" in the CPS, maybe that is the problem? Thank you in advance. NJ Medic

Guys, if you would like to check out my codeplug, please PM or email me and I will send it your way for review.

Thanks in advance.

cyrus is offline Trailer Park Superintendent
    Thanks

The system you listed is just an Astro system. It is not astro25.

The talkgroups on Radioreference are in Uniden format. You would need to convert those to Motorola format for your radio.

Talkgroups are the only way you will be able to differentiate between users on the system. The NAC code has nothing to do with it. You could continue to use f7e or 115 as it doesn't make a difference.

I've never tried it but I assume you need to setup conventional talkgroups and make sure the talkgroup list is slaved to each conventional personality.

Thanks

Futher information the hex value is the one you want. The math is easy take the uniden number divide it by 16 then conver that answer to hex.

Your trying to monitor a trunked system in conventional mode your fighting an uphill battle. You should really have a trunking capable flash in the unit then life would be a lot easier. If you do have a trunked capable flash and the codeplug supports trunking you may want to do some reasearch into monitoring a trunked system using a motorola radio.

Quote Originally Posted by Notarola View Post
    Futher information the hex value is the one you want. The math is easy take the uniden number divide it by 16 then conver that answer to hex.

Your trying to monitor a trunked system in conventional mode your fighting an uphill battle. You should really have a trunking capable flash in the unit then life would be a lot easier. If you do have a trunked capable flash and the codeplug supports trunking you may want to do some reasearch into monitoring a trunked system using a motorola radio.
    What I did was put all the talk channels in a personality, went to astro talk groups put them in as you stated. 2113, 2119, etc. then used the selective squelch to monitor the groups when the radio is scanning. I do have trunking in the radio, but not sure how to set that up. I searched online and couldn't find anything. the only thing I could find was a you tube video from a gentleman overseas explaining what I did. take a look. It works, but you think there is a better way. If so, please if you have the time could you send me step by step instructions. It would certainly be appreciated. This is how my XTS-2500 is now set up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exulg...8&feature=plcp

I am not trying to affiliate with the system, just want to monitor because we are toned out on analog dispatch, which is in my radio and it alerts me when there is a call, but then it would be convenient to switch with my channel selector to the digital trunking system to monitor all the traffic, ambulance going to scene, pd requesting an expedite, etc.

Thanks in advance

cyrus is offline Trailer Park Superintendent
    Thanks

Your biggest problem is you will probably need to enter in each frequency of the trunk system 3 times each with a different talkgroup ID.

Since Z1 has 9 frequencies, you will be stuck scanning 24 conventional channels just to hear those 3 talkgroups which isn't possible on your radio.

On Z4 which has 5 frequencies, you will need to scan 12 conventional channels. This would be the only Zone you could monitor all 3 talkgroups.

Under Conventional/Astro Systems/Astro Talkgroup List, enter in the talkgroups you want to receive in decimal format.

Under a Conventional Personality, set your receive to ASTRO and check "Receive Only Personality". Set the Rx Unmute Rule in the Astro tab to "Normal Squelch". Under Astro Talkgroup Options, check the Talkgroup box, set the Selection Type to Strapped and select your talkgroup that you want to listen to.

In the Zone/Channel list, select the Conventional Personality you just setup, enter your receive frequency and enter the NAC under TX and RX Network ID fields.

Continue to setup each frequency of the system in Zone/Channel List. You might want to use the Add Multiple tool with Copy from current record. Than you just have to change the frequencies.

Once that's all done, create another Conventional Personality using one of the other talkgroup ID's you want to listen to and set the strapped Talkgroup to the new talkgroup.

Go back to the Zone/Channel list and enter in all the frequencies again using the newly created Conventional Personality.

Repeat again for the 3rd talkgroup.

Once that's all done, I believe you should be able to setup a conventional scanlist with all the frequencies you've entered and scan away.

Good luck.

I'd rather buy a scanner than try and scan the system the way you are doing it.

Thanks

As cyrus has stated doing this in conventional is a real pain although for for a ASTRO25 system (which yours is not) you have to go through the steps to monitor it.

You could ask the system administartor to add in the trunked information you require since you are attached to the local emergency services.

If you really want to use the radio and not a scanner as a monitor for your system I would recommend you create a trunk personality and enter in the TGs you want to monitor. Since your system is UHF ASTRO set up the rx trunked settings as listed in the RR link you posted all the info you need is there.
    Last edited by Notarola; Apr 10, 2012 at 03:59 PM. Reason: grammar , spelling and tautology