Thread: KPG-78D and TK5400

corynick No Longer Registered

Default KPG-78D and TK5400

Hello all, I have kpg-78d installed with a sysop serial, It still will not allow me to create a network file, or enter any trunking information. Any ideas?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,072 Times in 486 Posts

You need more than a sysop id. The software need an additional file but I dont remember what its called.

Thanks

It's an SKF file, maybe that stands for System Key File? I know I have to have that to do anything with the network file.

I hate their software. Maybe I'm too used to the Motorola software, but this Kenwood stuff is horribly confusing.

Why do I need a syskey to change what a pin on the DB connector does? Grr....

Thanks

thats it. its kewoods version of a syskey.

So, without that file I can't even seem to program conventional freqs?? All I want to do with this thing is monitor a couple analog 800mhz frequencies

Thanks

You should be able to set up conventional freqs in the radio.

Quote Originally Posted by Notarola View Post
    You should be able to set up conventional freqs in the radio.
    Yeah, I figured it out

I was trying to 'read' the radio first (which is usually common practice) but it had a trunking system in it.

I just created a new conventional system and wrote it to the radio to overwrite what was there. Works fine now

Does anyone know if the NAC on conventional P25 channels is entered in Hex or Dec?

Alpha is offline T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,534 Times in 739 Posts

AFAIK - NAC's are usually 3-digit hexadecimal numbers.

Thanks

confirmed hex

bugg No Longer Registered

Hello, I have been watching this post from start, I have been playing around with the same radios, and the Freq is on Networking, and I dont have the key. I have programmed it in conventional, and it works about 40%, as it changing Freqs in the middle of the keyup.

? Are all Network keys File the same, or will I need the Right one for my Local area?

Thanks

You will need the one for your local area.

I know the local here all use Motorola.

What My main goal is to be able to use it as a Network Scanner, and not show up on there system, but using it with a conventional setup. I can only select one Freq at a time. and when one Talkgroup talks, they might swap Freqs, and my radio dose not follow,

but I'm really loving how the audio that is like 90%+ . and my scanner was only 30% or less(R2D2).

If I found one from somewhere else Could I change settings, to get it to work for Receiving only ?

Thanks

In theory yes you would need to decode the data change the sid and channel assignment map, and correct the crc. Not impossible. The file works very similar to a Motorola type syskey exept it is configured for a LTR and Passport LTR system configuration.

If anyone has a key to just try. I would love to Play around with it.../

also I have spent 10+ hours on conventional, I have 8 Freq and 16 Talkgroups that I playing with.. . I have Created 128 Personality.

thats 8 freq with 16 TG,= 128. Like Freq

Fat fingers..... on the last post..

I have it scanning like TG 1, and it scanning 8 Freq, etc...

then I have turn MON on. and I hear Everything on the Network.. ( Even if it is not on my 16 TG.

Thanks

i hate that once it has a network in it. Cant make any changes even to conventional or button settings without a network key.

Quote Originally Posted by medic550 View Post
    i hate that once it has a network in it. Cant make any changes even to conventional or button settings without a network key.
    Unless you want to use the radio in conventional only mode, you can overwrite it completely