Thread: Micom FM Mode

RussianE39 No Longer Registered

Default Micom FM Mode

I think this is really interesting thing to see on Micom2 control head display:
    MicomFM.JPG
    Anyone has FM in their Micoms2 ?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,077 Times in 487 Posts

it might have been incorporated into the firmware as a future option that was never produced.

Thanks

What exact model number of 2 series and firmware version in the radio?

RussianE39 No Longer Registered

Notarola, this option is even works. I'll try to get firmware from this magic micom.
    Software_Version=03.5703
    Hardware_Version=03.0000
    Control_Head_Software_Version=01.017
    Control_Head_Hardware_Version=02.000

Thanks
    Thanked 1,077 Times in 487 Posts

Russian that would be great. I stand corrected on the option never being produced.

Thanks

For the 2ES the last release version I knew of was 3.5702 Your version 3.5703 might be beta or SP firmware... Then again with the changes in micom ownership who knows what rev was publicly released vs what was being installed during production.

Who would use FM in the HF bands? Military? but they are usually 30-88mhz...

syntrx No Longer Registered

Nobody but hams.

The Micom H (which looks like it essentially a Micom 2) was specifically sold as a ham rig.

Thanks

It was sold? I've never seen evidence of it being produced, but an operators manual was published.

We've been wondering if we can make a control head like PRC148's done, except with a KNOB. I don't know about you, but I like knobs.

I've seen the manuals and brochures too but never a physical radio, so it's entirely possible it never hit the market.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by syntrx View Post
    I've seen the manuals and brochures too but never a physical radio, so it's entirely possible it never hit the market.
    http://www.rigpix.com/mischam/motorola-mobat_micomh.htm

Thanks

Well, at least a prototype existed!

mikem No Longer Registered

I posted a thread a couple of weeks ago about receiving some military helicopters on 29.6 FM via F2. The thread is in the yahoo AR29 MHz group, aftern posting I received a couple of interesting followup e-mails. So maybe there are some mil HF users on FM?

Military users don't consider 29MHz to be HF.

Most VHF combat net radios will do 30-88MHz (with most operation towards the bottom of that band), with many going up to around 108MHz and some others capable of going a few MHz below 30.

That said, there's so much DC to daylight software defined equipment available now that will do any mode you please (including high speed 128kbps-multi Mbps data modes...)
    Last edited by syntrx; Mar 21, 2013 at 09:05 AM.

Thanks

What about foreign entities? Maybe RussianE39's radio was used by oilfield services (a big industry in Rus) or in transportation (it's a very big country, you can travel 10,000 km on a train without doubling back or leaving the country. Many of these long rail lines aren't electrified; whether or not they are fully controlled and signalled is a guess to me but considering the scope of that task I'd guess no.)

PRC148 No Longer Registered

Can you post a picture of the model tag?

PRC148 No Longer Registered

Is there any way you can grab that firmware for us?

Quote Originally Posted by RussianE39 View Post
    Notarola, this option is even works. I'll try to get firmware from this magic micom.
    Software_Version=03.5703
    Hardware_Version=03.0000
    Control_Head_Software_Version=01.017
    Control_Head_Hardware_Version=02.000

kd8gua No Longer Registered

Unrelated to FM mode, but if you search through the MRC software, I know for sure one of the factory options that any Micom can be set up with is "Ham Only Operation." I thought that was pretty cool that if you were a die hard Motorola ham user, you could factory order a Micom 2 or 3 to only work the ham bands.

Does the FM mode option have something to do with using the Micom LINK system? This device converts VHF/UHF FM to HF SSB and vice versa for linking local VHF/UHF groups long distances.

http://www.mobat-usa.com/brochure/acc_fdn6123_link.pdf

Living in a van, down by the Little River in Alabama
    Thanks

The Micom II H appears to be the one radio that should be on every DXpedition. At the very least, a damn good backup to have. Now if there was a decent ALE implementation that wasn't expensive in terms of bandwidth and channel-time....

Thanks

Russian railroads still use FM on HF, like in the begginning of the previous century, there are two channels - 2.130 and 2.150 Mhz. Subway trains use 2.444 Mhz, FM too. But as far as I'm concerned, RR never used imported HF radios.
    Guess it's nice to have an FM firmware for RR monitoring, I wouldn't mind to have a radio like this

Thanks

That solves the mystery. Thanks to Eaton for contributing.

Thanks

Again, I've never seen or heard that these radios were used by Russian Railroads. The aren't even on the list of radios recommended for railroad use (yes, there's one!) And I guess they're not capable of the proprietary tone signalling used by the railroads. There are a lot of VHF Moto radios in use (mostly GP340 and some GP300s) but HF radios are always made in Russia.
    Maybe Moto planned to sell their HFs to RR as well and that's why they made an FM-capable firmware. Maybe they actually did sell some, but not to Russia since HF railroad frequencies are used in almost every country of the former USSR.